Time to Take a Serious Look at Antibiotic Use.

Firstly I want to say that my intention for posting the article linked herein is not to engage in fear-mongering but rather to encourage caution and common sense. When I worked at our local Health Library for a number of years over a decade ago, this topic of conversation came up now and again and in retrospect, I'm a little surprised something like the "super-virus" described in the following article had not appeared until only recently. What we would all do well to understand from this is the need to advocate for antibiotic free food and limit our own personal use of antibiotics. Again, a wise and sensible approach will serve us much better that freaking out in fear and panic or simple making light of this issue. Thanks for checking this out (this article was posted elsewhere by a friend who is a long-time M.S., CPHQ health care professional):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/05/26/the-superbug-that-doctors-have-been-dreading-just-reached-the-u-s/?wpisrc=al_alert-COMBO-exclusive+national

For the first time, researchers have found a person in the United States carrying bacteria resistant to antibiotic of last resort, an alarming development that the top U.S. public health official says could signal "the end of the road" for antibiotics.

The antibiotic-resistant strain was found last month in the urine of a 49-year-old Pennsylvania woman. Defense Department researchers determined that she carried a strain of E. coli resistant to the antibiotic colistin, according to a study published Thursday in Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, a publication of the American Society for Microbiology. The authors wrote that the discovery "heralds the emergence of a truly pan-drug resistant bacteria."

See more at link.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    edited May 2016
    In some countries antibiotics is mixed in the food given to healthy (not sick) animals, the whole world must act on being restrictive.
    I have really been helped myself with antibiotics it's like a blessing when they work, we must keep them working or we're in very big trouble.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I've taken antibiotics maybe three times in my life. Like Anna, I feel they are indeed wondrous and helpful but seems to go in the opposite direction when overused/prescribed.

My niece and nephew were given them often when they were little and seems they were constantly coming down with something that required more. Like a vicious circle.
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Great post. This issue is so huge. It should be a major medical news story. I remember reading a while back that we only have about two or three antibiotics that really work anymore, and that doctors are very concerned about such a super bug. That the DoD is involved in this case says something.
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    interesting
    thanks for the post..
  • Everything in moderation.
    Superbugs can be blamed on anti-bacterial soap as well. No?
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,627

Everything in moderation.
    Superbugs can be blamed on anti-bacterial soap as well. No?

From what I've read and heard, probably a factor. Even more of a problem is that people are taking too many antibiotics and too many animals used for food are given antibiotics.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Though I'm not as strict about the fruits and veggies, I absolutely won't eat non-organic meat or dairy for this very reason. We totally need to start dealing with the drugs in our food supply. I know my doctors over the past decade have become really stingy about prescribing antibiotics. Changing the practices in agriculture will be a much bigger challenge.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,627

Though I'm not as strict about the fruits and veggies, I absolutely won't eat non-organic meat or dairy for this very reason. We totally need to start dealing with the drugs in our food supply. I know my doctors over the past decade have become really stingy about prescribing antibiotics. Changing the practices in agriculture will be a much bigger challenge.

Wise choice, what dreams!