Options

Has Boom been on this tour?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Boom rules.
  • Options
    Good picture.Boom is in much need of some love on this board.There seems to be a bunch of poser PJ fans on here that deny the magic he brings.I think he is the band Shaman.The magic man.
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    In DC, Boom was rarely even on stage. At one point Ed had to walk off stage and get Boom to the stage for the next song. Overall, Boom did not look too thrilled.

I may be jumping in late here but the first time I saw Boom was in the Imagine DVD. When did he join the band? And did her really join the band or was he more of a guest player?
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    I do boo him , lol

why?
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    pateljampateljam Posts: 340
    ballgame wrote:
    just read this

Its older but gives good color into Boom

Is Kokua Festival the first time you and Boom have performed together like this?
    I don't think I've ever played a gig by myself that wasn't a benefit. And with all those times, I've played with different people here and there. But I don't think I've ever played a show with Boom.
    I think the first show that Boom and I ever played together was with the band. I think (Pearl Jam guitarist) Stone (Gossard) was missing because he was (doing) an environmental (project) in Australia at the time. We played the House of Blues, opening for The Who. I think that was Boom's first gig with us.
    It's great to see the world and see rock 'n' roll through the eyes of a local. It's really a romantic and magical story: our friendship and seeing him travel the planet.
    And one thing was cool. We went to Europe. And Boom and his wife Pinky had never been to Europe. We (went) over there last summer and we played Portugal. ...
    Some time — a couple of hundred years ago — a couple of brothers named Gaspar took off from a port in Lisbon and ended up in the Islands. And I think it was the first time that one of Boom's family had been back to Portugal since.
    To explain that to the audience in Portuguese and then have them see this guy return with a band playing some powerful music was a kind of moving experience.
    I'll bet the feeling was the same for Boom.
    I think that there's a natural chemistry change when you spend a lot of time in (Hawai'i).
    I think you appreciate these things more because you're away from sidewalks and satellites. You're kind of protected a bit from normal white noise that's everywhere, and city landscapes. And I think that your nerves are up on your skin in a really positive way.
    You're connecting with ... (Vedder searches for words)
    ... our surroundings?
    Yeah. In a positive way, you're more vulnerable to pure feeling through emotions in regards to appreciating your life and appreciating things that happen. It's not just another day on the subway where you almost have to try to meditate yourself out of your body.
    I'm just getting long-winded and going nowhere. But I guess what I want to say is that Boom's way of being is infectious.
    I chatted with Boom prior to Pearl Jam's December show at Blaisdell Arena. He really does seem to take absolutely nothing he has achieved for granted — family, friendships, his life experiences here.
    Yeah. I thought I was that way, too. And for the most part, I was. But it's gotten even deeper since.
    He's been a tremendous ... not to make any kind of a reference to The Beatles in regards to our band, but he's like our Billy Preston, you know? (Laughs.)
    He told me his first impression of you — when he met you on the waves and didn't know who you were — was that you were "a swell guy." What did you think of Boom?
    It's all been good. It's all been good. I've never thought anything but good about him since I first met him.
    How did you find out that he was a damn good keyboard player, too?
    I saw him play at a small little wake on one of the outer islands on a very small hillside away from everything. There was a young man who had been part of the musical community ... who passed away at an early age, and they had a bit of a wake for him (and) played some music on somebody's back porch.
    And I knew I was watching a world-class (Hammond) B-3 (organ) player. I couldn't believe my ears.
    So I knew that he could play before I met him. That's how I first saw him — when he was playing.
    His highest compliment for you was that you came across very local in your demeanor, your values and your beliefs. So much so, that he told you, "Brah, you sure you not reincarnated and was Hawaiian before?"
    (Vedder pauses, clearly moved.) Wow. Yeah.
    What has Boom brought Pearl Jam musically and through his personality?
    I think the biggest thing is what we talked about. We've been able to see, in a way, the things that we've accomplished as a group ... through a new pair of eyes and another heart and, in some ways, a heart that was untainted by some of the stuff that we had been through. (A heart) less hardened from some of the stuff we had been through early on.
    In fact I think when Boom and I got together, (Pearl Jam) was going back into the studio to record after what for us was the hardest challenge and moment in our lives — when we lost nine people at that show in Denmark.
    (In June 2000, nine fans were crushed to death during Pearl Jam's set at the Roskilde Festival.)
    It was a healing time for us. And a good way to put it is, Boom was like stem cells, you know? (Laughs.) And he came in and just helped repair. He was part of the healing process in a big way. Fresh new cells that ... found every spot that we were ailing.
    He seemed to give us new life.

Nah... I think they got stoned and Ed said brah you want to join a band...
    2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • Options
    pateljampateljam Posts: 340
    ballgame wrote:
    just read this

Its older but gives good color into Boom

Is Kokua Festival the first time you and Boom have performed together like this?
    I don't think I've ever played a gig by myself that wasn't a benefit. And with all those times, I've played with different people here and there. But I don't think I've ever played a show with Boom.
    I think the first show that Boom and I ever played together was with the band. I think (Pearl Jam guitarist) Stone (Gossard) was missing because he was (doing) an environmental (project) in Australia at the time. We played the House of Blues, opening for The Who. I think that was Boom's first gig with us.
    It's great to see the world and see rock 'n' roll through the eyes of a local. It's really a romantic and magical story: our friendship and seeing him travel the planet.
    And one thing was cool. We went to Europe. And Boom and his wife Pinky had never been to Europe. We (went) over there last summer and we played Portugal. ...
    Some time — a couple of hundred years ago — a couple of brothers named Gaspar took off from a port in Lisbon and ended up in the Islands. And I think it was the first time that one of Boom's family had been back to Portugal since.
    To explain that to the audience in Portuguese and then have them see this guy return with a band playing some powerful music was a kind of moving experience.
    I'll bet the feeling was the same for Boom.
    I think that there's a natural chemistry change when you spend a lot of time in (Hawai'i).
    I think you appreciate these things more because you're away from sidewalks and satellites. You're kind of protected a bit from normal white noise that's everywhere, and city landscapes. And I think that your nerves are up on your skin in a really positive way.
    You're connecting with ... (Vedder searches for words)
    ... our surroundings?
    Yeah. In a positive way, you're more vulnerable to pure feeling through emotions in regards to appreciating your life and appreciating things that happen. It's not just another day on the subway where you almost have to try to meditate yourself out of your body.
    I'm just getting long-winded and going nowhere. But I guess what I want to say is that Boom's way of being is infectious.
    I chatted with Boom prior to Pearl Jam's December show at Blaisdell Arena. He really does seem to take absolutely nothing he has achieved for granted — family, friendships, his life experiences here.
    Yeah. I thought I was that way, too. And for the most part, I was. But it's gotten even deeper since.
    He's been a tremendous ... not to make any kind of a reference to The Beatles in regards to our band, but he's like our Billy Preston, you know? (Laughs.)
    He told me his first impression of you — when he met you on the waves and didn't know who you were — was that you were "a swell guy." What did you think of Boom?
    It's all been good. It's all been good. I've never thought anything but good about him since I first met him.
    How did you find out that he was a damn good keyboard player, too?
    I saw him play at a small little wake on one of the outer islands on a very small hillside away from everything. There was a young man who had been part of the musical community ... who passed away at an early age, and they had a bit of a wake for him (and) played some music on somebody's back porch.
    And I knew I was watching a world-class (Hammond) B-3 (organ) player. I couldn't believe my ears.
    So I knew that he could play before I met him. That's how I first saw him — when he was playing.
    His highest compliment for you was that you came across very local in your demeanor, your values and your beliefs. So much so, that he told you, "Brah, you sure you not reincarnated and was Hawaiian before?"
    (Vedder pauses, clearly moved.) Wow. Yeah.
    What has Boom brought Pearl Jam musically and through his personality?
    I think the biggest thing is what we talked about. We've been able to see, in a way, the things that we've accomplished as a group ... through a new pair of eyes and another heart and, in some ways, a heart that was untainted by some of the stuff that we had been through. (A heart) less hardened from some of the stuff we had been through early on.
    In fact I think when Boom and I got together, (Pearl Jam) was going back into the studio to record after what for us was the hardest challenge and moment in our lives — when we lost nine people at that show in Denmark.
    (In June 2000, nine fans were crushed to death during Pearl Jam's set at the Roskilde Festival.)
    It was a healing time for us. And a good way to put it is, Boom was like stem cells, you know? (Laughs.) And he came in and just helped repair. He was part of the healing process in a big way. Fresh new cells that ... found every spot that we were ailing.
    He seemed to give us new life.

2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • Options
    BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    The only negative thing about Boom I can think of is In My Tree. That song really was better without him.
  • Options
    pateljam wrote:

If so, I can play the tambourine, hopefully we'll meet someday, get stoned and I promise you 50% discount on all tix and alb's :D
    I can feel like I have a soul that has been saved
  • Options
    jimlivesjimlives Posts: 48
    GlttrGrrl wrote:
    um...riiiiiiight. I just don't like the music being turned into a hippy jam. I'm tired of people comparing Pearl Jam to the Dead, but having Boom on stage makes it hard to fight the comparison. Let him play and add layers and nuance to the music, but a full on multi-minute solo is unnecessary and a little much. I'm just glad that it's so easy to BOO him ;)

Picky Picky Picky! Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinions but Boom is so loved by Pearl Jam and that alone is what makes him so great..even if he's not playing. Add on top of that his awesome personality and skill on the keys and he's the absolute best! I mean, whats wrong with the band having a little jam session that hearkens back to the Dead? It's what makes PJ so diverse. You're either on the bus or off the bus!
  • Options
    umlawgradumlawgrad Posts: 24
    He played on "Nothingman" in Tampa and sounded very good.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    writersu wrote:
    I may be jumping in late here but the first time I saw Boom was in the Imagine DVD. When did he join the band? And did her really join the band or was he more of a guest player?

He played on Riot Act, and is actually co-wrote Love Boat Captain ... so he's been associated with the band since 2002.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    SuzieMSuzieM Posts: 113
    I don't particularly like or dislike him, he's a good musician and seems like a nice enough guy but I'm confused as to whether he's part of the band. Would he tell people he is part of Pearl Jam? And why the running back and forth from the stage as opposed to having him there the whole time even if he's just bobbing his head up and down? He doesn't seem to quite fit in, for some reason. I also used to think people were "booing" when they were in fact "booming" =) I did grow an appreciation for him after the scene in the church in Immagine in Cornice.. he was holding on to the organ like he could feel it. I can see why Ed likes him!

It's kinda cute to see Mike or Jeff or someone run all the way across the stage to make eye contact with him when they are jamming. In general, I think it's really cute (pardon the word, can't find a better one right now) when they are looking at each other jamming.

Okay, done rambling.
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    How dare Pearl Jam add new layers to their sound!

Next thing you know, they'll be experimenting with backup singers.

Oh, wait.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...