Gord

vzouzalvzouzal Posts: 202
edited May 2016 in The Porch
Awful news today here in Canada and the world for that matter, as it was announced that Gord Downie, lead singer of the Tragically Hip has been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. I have always personally felt that the Hip & PJ have been moving on "parallel trains" and just felt the need to post something here. Please join me in sending love and strength to Gord, his wife, kids and the band.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=35mJvcY104M
Post edited by vzouzal on

Comments

• stoppler_pjstoppler_pj Posts: 191
    Lucky he is still with us and will tour this summer.
    You are obviously from the sticks if you call it a hoodie! Us sophisticated city folk call it a bunnyhug!
  • KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
    Sad. I don't trust Doctors. Neither should he
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • TL61540 said:

Lucky he is still with us and will tour this summer.

lucky indeed. careful with the rest of that wording... lost my best friend on the road this spring. wasn't expecting it and most definitely not prepared for it.
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • vzouzalvzouzal Posts: 202
    edited May 2016
    Victoria, July 22. Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre.
    Vancouver, July 24. Rogers Arena​.
    Edmonton, July 28. Rexall Place.
    Calgary, Aug 1. Scotiabank Saddledome.
    Winnipeg, Aug 5. MTS Centre.
    London, Aug. 8. Budweiser Gardens.
    Toronto, Aug 10 and Aug. 12. Air Canada Centre.
    Hamilton , Aug. 16. FirstOntario Centre.
    Ottawa, Aug. 18. Canadian Tire Centre.
    Kingston, Aug. 20. Rogers K-Rock Centre​

10 shows...If you have never seen the Hip, I strongly suggest you try make one of these shows.

These lyric's really got me today,
    Sled dogs after dinner
    Close their eyes on the howlin' wastes
    Kurt Cobain, reincarnated
    Sighs and licks his face
  • Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    Could very well be the greatest Canadian songwriter of all time
  • vzouzalvzouzal Posts: 202
    edited May 2016

Could very well be the greatest Canadian songwriter of all time

I know and that's saying ALOT!

That opening from Don't Wake Daddy, is so beautiful and paints such a vivid scene.
    I've always felt that it gives Kurt purpose and peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMUQQmRRQLM
    Post edited by vzouzal on
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,531
    The one quote I saw today which I felt spoke volumes was that "he wrote Canadian lyrics without ever being nationalistic."

Through his poetry, he was able to describe Canada very much in the same way as Neil, with pride, but never with arrogance. I regret never seeing a Hip show, and am glad he's able to find the strength to do one more tour. I am very much looking forward to seeing them this summer, and wish them all the best in health and on tour.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    mwplum said:

The one quote I saw today which I felt spoke volumes was that "he wrote Canadian lyrics without ever being nationalistic."

Absolutely said perfectly. Their music makes me feel Canada and I thank the group for giving me that gift to take wherever I go
  • Mac DogMac Dog Posts: 79
    Ahead by a Century is one of my top 5 all time favourites..... And the version of Scared on Live Between Us always gives me the chills
  • GarasaurasGarasauras Posts: 231
    It's amazing how much the Hip have become a respected national treasure for Canada. The top news story across the country yesterday on all news and sports outlets, which says a lot.

And of note, it's amazing how much death really does sell. Or at least the emotional impact it has on fans. The Hip currently hold 25 of the top 40 rock songs, and 11 of the top 15 Rock albums on the Canadian iTunes Store. You know you're big when...
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    saw them in 89 and met them all. were all very down to earth guys. fav song by them is wheat kings.
  • vzouzal said:
    Awful news today here in Canada and the world for that matter, as it was announced that Gord Downie, lead singer of the Tragically Hip has been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. I have always personally felt that the Hip & PJ have been moving on "parallel trains" and just felt the need to post something here. Please join me in sending love and strength to Gord, his wife, kids and the band.
    from jeff 2018
    "Our band was on parallel paths with Tragically Hip. It's strange we didn't cross those paths more often. Gord made an unbelievable swan song of an album. I cried the whole first listen. So beautiful and honest. Sonically it reminds me so much of where I grew up in north central Montana, which is basically Canada. "Faith Faith" is also one of the great songs about man's best friend.