Options

Coachella 2017?

djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
Who here thinks Coachella stands a chance to headline Pearl Jam in 2017?

My 2 cents: I'm thinking it's a better chance in 2017 than any year previous. I'm thinking there could be several WEST COAST cities the boys could hit (Vegas, Tucson, Phoenix, SLC, Sacramento, Portland, Seattle) before, in between and after the Coachella dates. Maybe Pearl Jam surprises us all with a new album between now and April 2017 and they use Coachella as one of the festivals they support next year?

2016 was my first ever Coachella - would love to FINALLY see Pearl Jam play it! Would be an epic return to the Empire Polo Club, to be sure!

What does everyone else think?
6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
10/12/14 - Austin, TX
10/22/14 - Denver, CO
8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)

Comments

• Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,890
    edited May 2016
    Would much rather have two nights at the Forum over Coachella, and that's coming from someone that's been to Coachella almost every year for the past 10.
    Also, as a headliner, they wouldn't necessarily be hitting all those spots in between in April due to Coachella's radius clause restrictions. Most headliners don't return to the southwestern US/SoCal for 4-6 months after Coachella. GNR was a special exception this year because they needed a few warmup shows for the reunited lineup and the two Vegas shows were Goldenvoice promoted (Coachella's promoter). They went to Mexico City in between fest weekends (Same as Radiohead in 2012) and don't return to the Southwest until August. Jack White went to Hawaii in between fest weekends last year, the Black Keys took the week off in 2012 and didn't return to SoCal until October, and Arcade Fire didn't return in 2014 until August, to name a few of the recent headliners.
    I'm sure if GV threw them enough $, they'd eventually do it. I think Radiohead will headline for a third time next year, with only two small shows in LA on this current tour (Goldenvoice promoted shows at that ;) ). The festival's tastes and crowd seem to be changing a lot recently with more EDM acts than years past. Or maybe I'm just getting too old for it.
    Post edited by kasedoug on
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,555
    I need to now if they are going to do Coachella so I can start planning my outfit!
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    edited May 2016
    kasedoug said:

The festival's tastes and crowd seem to be changing a lot recently with more EDM acts than years past. Or maybe I'm just getting too old for it.

Agreed with almost everything you wrote, but especially this. I've been going to Coachella since 2006 (until I retired, at least temporarily, after 2014), and I honestly think PJ's time to play the festival has come and gone. It's more of an EDM fest now, and without really knowing the band's take on that music scene, I just don't think it would be a good fit for them. Case in point: I saw Arcade Fire headline in 2011, went to the main stage about 5 hours early to get a good spot and still ended up about 20 "rows" back and to the far right, since a huge swell of the crowd were doing the same as me. Saw Arcade Fire headline again in 2014, went to the main stage about 2 hours early (prior to EDM DJ Calvin Harris's set), survived that crapfest, then watched in astonishment as 90% of the crowd fled after Harris (presumably to head back to the dance tents), allowing me to walk right up to the front row for a sparsely populated set by Beck and a fairly paltry showing for Arcade Fire. I, for one, would hate to see that happen at a PJ show, and knowing the population of Coachella crowds these days it wouldn't surprise me, so I'm happy with no Coachella for PJ. Much, much rather have "An Evening With Pearl Jam" anywhere else.
    Post edited by walkunafraid on
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    500 people showed up for The Replacements at Cochella. Should have been 50,000. I like electronic stuff too but give me a break. Coachella's time has come and gone
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557

500 people showed up for The Replacements at Cochella. Should have been 50,000. I like electronic stuff too but give me a break. Coachella's time has come and gone

Yep. Coachella will be around forever as long as it continues to sell out every year (which it does), but it will never be the same until the EDM phase dies away. Plain and simple, it's an EDM-fest now, and until that changes, I hope PJ stays away.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    I was surprised how many "older" people there were attending Coachella this year. I think a Pearl Jam headline paired with perhaps the Talking Heads comeback that's being rumored or The Stone Roses, along with maybe Kendrick Lamar would be a kick-ass show in the desert.
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
  • Options
    Still feeling like the band is gonna hit the West Coast in spring of 2017 around Coachella dates... Really feeling good about this (primarily because I've got tix for the first weekend - LOL!)
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208

500 people showed up for The Replacements at Cochella. Should have been 50,000.

i didn't know that. that is a fucking travesty.
  • Options
    I think Paul's quote was "we would have WELCOMED booing. We had silence and people trying to be polite"
  • Options
    EDM is the fucking worst... Coachella 2017 needs a rocker - might as well make it the best goddamn band in the world. Please, Pearl Jam, please play Coachella 2017!
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    There are rumblings of a full-on Smashing Pumpkins Reunion........sounds like a good headliner guess.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:

There are rumblings of a full-on Smashing Pumpkins Reunion........sounds like a good headliner guess.

I've heard the same about Talking Heads... I'd rather that :-)
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444

JOEJOEJOE said:

I agree.....TH would be great....not a fan of SP

Midnight Oil is also playing shows in 2017....that would be amazing.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:

JOEJOEJOE said:

I agree.....TH would be great....not a fan of SP

Midnight Oil is also playing shows in 2017....that would be amazing.
    I've never been a huge fan of SP, myself... I saw them play Summerfest in Milwaukee in the late 90s after all the band upheaval... it was absolutely atrocious...

Midnight Oil... LOL, I haven't thought of them in forever!
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,880
    After Sunday I'll be sad I don't have any pj shows planned so sure announce coachella!
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,286

JOEJOEJOE said:

Wow! Talking Heads would be UNREAL! Talk about hell freezing over! David Byrne has been so unwavering about the band never getting back together. This would be awesome..
  • Options
    motarmotar Posts: 141
    JOEJOEJOE said:

Im a big Pumpkins fan, but I dont think they have a big enough following to headline. Hope im wrong.
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455

kasedoug said:

The festival's tastes and crowd seem to be changing a lot recently with more EDM acts than years past. Or maybe I'm just getting too old for it.

Agreed with almost everything you wrote, but especially this. I've been going to Coachella since 2006 (until I retired, at least temporarily, after 2014), and I honestly think PJ's time to play the festival has come and gone. It's more of an EDM fest now, and without really knowing the band's take on that music scene, I just don't think it would be a good fit for them. Case in point: I saw Arcade Fire headline in 2011, went to the main stage about 5 hours early to get a good spot and still ended up about 20 "rows" back and to the far right, since a huge swell of the crowd were doing the same as me. Saw Arcade Fire headline again in 2014, went to the main stage about 2 hours early (prior to EDM DJ Calvin Harris's set), survived that crapfest, then watched in astonishment as 90% of the crowd fled after Harris (presumably to head back to the dance tents), allowing me to walk right up to the front row for a sparsely populated set by Beck and a fairly paltry showing for Arcade Fire. I, for one, would hate to see that happen at a PJ show, and knowing the population of Coachella crowds these days it wouldn't surprise me, so I'm happy with no Coachella for PJ. Much, much rather have "An Evening With Pearl Jam" anywhere else.
    All of this is pretty much an exact description of Pemberton Fest last month. It totally sucked. Nothing but an ocean of teens and twenty somethings sucking up as much extreme bass heavy dance music/noise and urban music/rap as possible. I really had to wonder why a band like PJ would agree to play an event like that. They were definitely in fish out of water territory.
  • Options
    To be fair, I've seen Pearl Jam play Voodoo in New Orleans in 2013, and Austin City Limits in 2014, and the crowds for both were rather massive. I think Calvin Harris played ACL the same time Pearl Jam did - I didn't see the size of the crowd for Calvin Harris, so I can't really compare (and I stood about five back from the rail for about 6 hours to see PJ), but the crowd size at both festivals was exactly what I'd expected. There's a LOT of history with Pearl Jam and the Empire Polo Grounds where they hold Coachella, and I think they would be a more welcome headliner than AC/DC or Guns 'n Roses (both of which had really big crowds at Coachella).

I thought I had read somewhere (or maybe I'm just perpetuating a silly rumor) that Jeff said they'd tour the West Coast in the spring of 2017... And I remember reading a statement by Kelly Curtis saying that they'll play Coachella eventually...I really hope this means we'll see West Coast dates surrounding Coachella sets in 2017.
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
  • Options
    PJ is responsible for Coachella existing. They should headline one year. It still sucks what happened to that festival tho but thats really ALL festivals these says. Sluts and frat boys
  • Options
    It's not a TOTAL shitshow :-)

Yeah, it's rife with trust-fund babies, frat boys and scene chicks, but it's still a pretty positive experience. EDM has its crowd, but so does rock'n'fuckin'roll! I was pleased to see bands like The Arcs and Guns N Roses draw some pretty decent crowds.

The fest is attended by a bunch of people who wouldn't know good music if it sat on their faces, and some of the acts are pure garbage, (and for the life of me I can't understand how Calvin Harris made the main stage this year), but rock still draws - and Pearl Jam is needed in 2017 :-)
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
  • Options
    Bump?
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
  • Options
    Welp... Looks like 2017 Coachella is all decided. There was a leak on Reddit a day ago following DJ Khaled's announcement he'll be at Coachella 2017...

Coachella 2017 Headliners are:

Radiohead
    Beyoncé
    Kendrick Lamar

I'm actually pretty jazzed about all three - just caught Radiohead at ACL Fest last week... Such an amazing show...

Still... Will continually look forward to seeing Pearl Jam some time on a Coachella line-up.
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,890
    edited October 2016
    I figured Radiohead was going to be there since they played such a small venue in LA back in August, and it was a Goldenvoice promoted show/venue.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Green Day there. The tour they just announced is lacking an LA date and wraps up in San Diego on 4/8, less than a week before weekend 1.
    Heard Smashing Pumpkins are possibly taking offers for reunion dates next year, after James Iha and Jimmy Chamberlain joined Billy on stage in LA.
    There's also been Daft Punk rumors, as there are pretty much every year. There's a little more too it this time around, as there's an Alive2017.com website that people are pointing to, and internet sleuths have apparently dug into the site's code and it has coordinates for different cities around the world, one of which is Indio. Guess it falls in line with previous Alive 1997 and Alive 2007 years. I could go for some Robot Rock in the desert.
    Of the other ones you mentioned, Beyoncé would be surprising considering she played both the Rose Bowl and Dodger Stadium within the last year but I'm sure there would be demand.
    Kendrick Lamar headlined FYF Fest back in August (LCD Soundsystem too), which is smaller scale festival wise.
    Skipped Coachella this year for the first time in six years so I'm hoping next year will tempt me back out.
    Post edited by kasedoug on
  • Options
    70k people who will ignore great bands all day in favor of EDM and then show up for twenty minutes of Radiohead just to say they were there
  • Options

70k people who will ignore great bands all day in favor of EDM and then show up for twenty minutes of Radiohead just to say they were there

This year was my first Coachella experience. I avoided EDM at all costs. Caught so many amazing bands that weekend - It's worth the price of admission if you do it right. I like the EDM kids..they burn out on ecstasy by mid afternoon and leave. Was pretty pissed Calvin Harris was a headliner, but I got to see The Front Bottoms (excellent band, great live presence), LCD Soundsystem, Guns N' Roses (!!), Lord Huron, the Last Shadow Puppets, The Arcs (!!), Ice Cube, Disclosure, Chvrches, Gary Clark Jr, Silversun Pickups, the 1975, Rancid, Sia, Death Grips (!!), Run the Jewels, Moon Taxi, Miike Snow, Nathaniel Rateliff & the Nightsweats, Wolf Alice, and Alessia Cara. All those bands/acts in the same place - Definitely worth the price of admission.

EDM fans don't bother me... they usually burnout from extensive drug use by mid afternoon. More room to get closer to the rail for the good bands.
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,972
    Those headliners are awesome.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,972
    Wouldn't be surprised if the Coachella people try a 90's version of Oldchella in the next few years. Maybe PJ, reunited SP, NIN, RATM (Prophets?) RHCP, and Beck. Or maybe Oasis if they ever reunite. (trying to to think of the biggest 90s rock acts who could headline big festivals still)
  • Options
    There's still rumors around that Talking Heads might play Coachella 2017!
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,495
    Think Coachella makes sense next year but wouldn't that prohibit west coast dates since they are a headliner? At least around the time of the festival?

I could see Coachella, then Europe in June and that's it for next year. My guess at least.

Also a club date in NYC around the HOF (please)