Dirty Frank is an F'd up song.

CG49089CG49089 Posts: 110
edited May 2016 in The Porch
First... Pearl Jam runs in my dna... I always feel the need to say that before leveling anything like a criticism... so please put down your torches and pitchforks...

So about "Dirty Frank"

I know it's meant in good fun ( or at least I've always assumed so) , and I've always taken the song as a joke, but I listened to it today for the first time in a long time, and it hit me that the subject matter, well, really isn't very funny.

I mean, Dirty Frank's last name in the song is "Dahmer"... and that alone brings the subject matter out of the purely fantastic realm and too close to reality...

The song closes with the repeated phrase "just to see the look on the face"... as in, he murders people, chops them up, and eats them just to see the look on the face.

Considering that Pearl Jam also put out "Jeremy"... around this same time, part of me wonders if this song isn't meant 100% as a joke... but more of an absurd take on a preposterous reality. As in, you can either laugh or cry about certain terrible things... "Dirty Frank" chooses to laugh... "Jeremy" chooses to cry.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• StevieGStevieG Posts: 850
    Analysing the lyrics a little too much
    Barrie, ON - Aug 22, 1998
    London, ON - Sep 12, 2005
    Toronto, ON - Aug 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    Hamilton, ON- Sep 15 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,897
    edited May 2016
    I don't think it's possible to analyze lyrics too much, and I definitely don't think the OP only scratched the surface in this case.

Here are the lyrics:

Dirty Frank Dahmer he's a gourmet cook, yeah.
    I got a recipe for anus ankle soup, yeah.
    Wanted a pass. So she relaxed. Now the little groupie's getting chopped up in the back.
    I got a cupboard full of fleshy fresh ingredients
    A very careful at the same time quite expedient.
    Eats meat. A release.
    Bus driving's harder on your head than on your feet.

Dirty Frank. Dirty Frank yeah
    A Dirty Frank A Dirty Frank yea oh

Keeps it clean. a keeps it copeseptic
    A little boys and girls their heads are all collected.
    A not crazy. a per se
    Just a little strange when he gets hungry.
    City state your town he will continue.
    A stadiums tiny clubs every venue.
    A his bus. a your trust.
    There goes another turned into crust.
    Dirty Frank a Dirty Frank yeah. A Dirty Frank. oh a Dirty Frank.

Yeah, oh, watch it! now
    Why that dirty Frank was a bad mother... Shut your mouth! Hey man, I'm just talking about Dirty Frank.

Oh wa-ha a yea cookoo there fucking crazy these kids are driving me crazy

Oh, middle of the night we're stopped the freeway shoulder.
    A frank's shoveling to bury the leftovers.
    A they're sunk. He's drunk.
    Now he's gonna drive I'm hiding in my bunk. Oh.
    The band all knows. We're too afraid to mention.
    A Don't want to be part of Frank's luncheon.
    A lose weight. A be safe. Where's Mike McCready? My god he's been ate!

Dirty Frank. A Dirty Frank, yeah.
    A Dirty Frank. Oh, a Dirty Frank, yeah,.
    Dirty Frank Dirty Frank yea
    Dirty Frank oh a Dirty Frank a yea yea yea

Why that dirty Frank was a bad mother... Shut your mouth! Hey man, I'm just talking about dirty Frank. Yeah.

Cook 'em just to see the look on their face. I cook 'em just to see the look on their face. [x10]

(Ok I think that's enough)

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
    StevieG said:

Yep
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    The lyrics "Cook em just to see the look on their face" is a sample from the Chili Peppers song Freaky Styley. Supposedly they wrote Dirty Frank on tour with the Chili Peppers and their bus driver was named Frank. So it's just a parody song. Read the liner notes in Lost Dogs and read what the band says about it.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    edited May 2016
    OP, yes, this is definitely a very dark subject presented in a non-dark way. It creates a pretty intense dichotomy, which is a pretty powerful artistic method IMO, despite the parody song. I mean, it is still about Dahmer and murdering, no matter who the jokey subject was.

It reminds me of Blind Melon's Soup. There are a couple of songs on that album about murders and perversion. One, "Car Seat (God's Presents)" is about that bitch who killed her kids by strapping them into her car and rolling the car into a lake (Susan Smith), and "Skinned" is about Ed Gein, who dug up dead bodied and made knick-knacks for his home with the body parts (and murdered a woman). Car Seat is darker though quirky, but the style of Skinned is very deliberately in opposition to the subject matter. Hoon said that he did that because there are two sides to everything, and that there is humour in everything, even the darkest things (I think this would explain why the best jokes are generally offensive ones, lol). Creating a song that comes together from two completely opposite places brings art closer to reality. I think the same kind of thing is going on with Dirty Frank, at least in part. Not sure how conscious of this PJ was at the time though, hahaha.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

KV4053 said:

StevieG said:

Yep
    How so? The lyrics are very explicitly based on one of the most disturbed serial killers in American history. I think that warrants a closer look.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    I thought the lyrics were just about the freaky bus driver they had in the early days?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:

I thought the lyrics were just about the freaky bus driver they had in the early days?

Well yeah, but just "just". The lyrics are about a humourous real life serial killer comparison. Worth talking about probably! Using murder and tragedy as inspiration for comedy is interesting.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Well yeah, but just "just". The lyrics are about a humourous real life serial killer comparison. Worth talking about probably! Using murder and tragedy as inspiration for comedy is interesting.
    this is true! hey did you hit up any shows this year?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

this is true! hey did you hit up any shows this year?

No! But if one day passes for PJ's night drop and I can get at least one, I will see them in Pemberton in July!
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Many songs - their premises, inspirations - are fucked up.

Actually, not fucked up songs themselves, but based on fucked up situations and mindsets, and...

Look at -
    Radiohead
    Beatles
    Mad Season
    Cash
    AlC
    Garbage
    Blind Melon
    NIN
    TOOL

ad nauseum
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    PJ_Soul said:

OP, yes, this is definitely a very dark subject presented in a non-dark way. It creates a pretty intense dichotomy, which is a pretty powerful artistic method IMO, despite the parody song. I mean, it is still about Dahmer and murdering, no matter who the jokey subject was.

It reminds me of Blind Melon's Soup. There are a couple of songs on that album about murders and perversion. One, "Car Seat (God's Presents)" is about that bitch who killed her kids by strapping them into her car and rolling the car into a lake (Susan Smith), and "Skinned" is about Ed Gein, who dug up dead bodied and made knick-knacks for his home with the body parts (and murdered a woman). Car Seat is darker though quirky, but the style of Skinned is very deliberately in opposition to the subject matter. Hoon said that he did that because there are two sides to everything, and that there is humour in everything, even the darkest things (I think this would explain why the best jokes are generally offensive ones, lol). Creating a song that comes together from two completely opposite places brings art closer to reality. I think the same kind of thing is going on with Dirty Frank, at least in part. Not sure how conscious of this PJ was at the time though, hahaha.

Yeah on Hoon/Melon! I somehow completely missed this post.
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,557
    hedonist said:

Actually, not fucked up songs themselves, but based on fucked up situations and mindsets, and...

Look at -
    Radiohead
    Beatles
    Mad Season
    Cash
    AlC
    Garbage
    Blind Melon
    NIN
    TOOL

ad nauseum

Or any rap album since N.W.A.
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson Posts: 1,366
    Is the overall feel/flow (at least the music not the lyrics) of this song Chili Peppers inspired? I think I heard that somewhere.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    edited May 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't think it's possible to analyze lyrics too much, and I definitely don't think the OP only scratched the surface in this case.

Here are the lyrics:

I got a recipe for anus ankle soup, yeah.

Wait, what? I always thought that was "I got a recipe for ANGLO SAXON soup, yeah" Dang, anus ankle soup? That's messed up, Ed!
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
    Haha! I have seen it say anglo saxon in other place too and thought they were right, but i copied them from the band's website this time, so anus ankle soup it is! :lol:
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,188
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    Songs like this are why I became a big fan of this band. They were way to serious about themselves but at the same time were able not care and release weird songs like Dirty Frank and all those fan club single songs.
  • SarahSarah Posts: 736
    hedonist said:

Look at -
    Radiohead
    Beatles
    Mad Season
    Cash
    AlC
    Garbage
    Blind Melon
    NIN
    TOOL

ad nauseum

*Nods*

You've listed some of my all-time favourite acts there.
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    I don't take stock in anything a rock star says in song lyrics..stage banter..interviews..etc.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • ceskaceska Posts: 1,115
    DeLukin said:

Wait, what? I always thought that was "I got a recipe for ANGLO SAXON soup, yeah" Dang, anus ankle soup? That's messed up, Ed!

Famous 'ankle soup'?
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Eh they were in their 20's when they came up with that. Who isn't pretty irreverent, audacious, and ridiculous at times in their 20's. A bunch of musicians in their 20's being silly and churning out something for shock value based on someone else's song. Don't take it too seriously.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008