edited July 2016 in All Encompassing Trip
Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on

Comments

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    Start with fugu.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,756
    Open the can of tuna, drain well.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:

Start with fugu.

Dammit, DK.

I like sushi too much to try and make it myself. Thankfully my city has some awesome places for it.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Yes. Practice.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    I wish I had the patience and determination of Japanese chefs. I recently watched two documentaries - Jiro Dreams of Sushi and The Birth of Sake. In America, we used the word "artisan" as a marketing tool to sell anything from potato chips to pizza at a premium price. If you want to watch true artisans mastering their craft, I highly recommend these two films.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    RKCNDY said:

Yes. Practice.

And a very sharp knife
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    mickeyrat said:

Open the can of tuna, drain well.....

:lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,120

I wish I had the patience and determination of Japanese chefs. I recently watched two documentaries - Jiro Dreams of Sushi and The Birth of Sake. In America, we used the word "artisan" as a marketing tool to sell anything from potato chips to pizza at a premium price. If you want to watch true artisans mastering their craft, I highly recommend these two films.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi was an excellent documentary.
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    I'd eat sushi if it didn't smell and taste like a dumpster.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    I make it all the time.
    Key is getting the rice right. You need to go to an Asian shop and get a good bottle of rice wine vinegar.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,120
    I can barely fix canned vegetables, so I'm sure I would kill myself if I tried to make sushi.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427

I'd eat sushi if it didn't smell and taste like a dumpster.

You've been going to the wrong place, man!
    I like a good yellowtail snapper.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,178
    My wife has a good sushi book , we don't make it all the time but when she has it's been ok have to get sushi grade fish ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177

My wife has a good sushi book , we don't make it all the time but when she has it's been ok have to get sushi grade fish ...

That's the most important thing. Sushi grade fish is more expensive, but the flesh is firm and bright, and there is no off-putting odor or flavor. I wouldn't try making sushi with grocery store seafood department product.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    Can you buy whore's eggs at the market or do you need to go to a bar for that?

Amazing dish if you find someone who knows what they're doing--or, if you're that someone, you know what you're doing.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I can get them at the Asian market. Live even...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,178
    Yes you have to get sushi grade fish from fish market not supermarket !!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....