Options

90% of Americans have health insurance....

Comments

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    BinFrog said:

If your friend is single, and he was forced to pay $2100, then he makes six figures.

single and self employed and I have no idea how much he makes ? but he sure don't seem to be in the 6 figure range judging by his house and bike....maybe I misunderstood him ?

Godfather.
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    When we filled out our taxes and said we didn't have insurance, they asked us why. We clicked on the box- can't afford- . We paid no penalty this year.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,976
    yeah and if your premiums are more than 8% of your income you don't pay a penalty either

That wipes out penalty for most lower/middle class taxpayers.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559

there was a guy who died in the waiting room in Winnipeg years ago from complications from a bladder infection because he was overlooked for over 36 hours. the nurses are just plain too busy here.

Yeah, a nursing shortage. Sucks. They need to give better incentives to people to become nurses.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    this is confusing...why would my friend have to pay ? in fact I've talked to a few people who were fined for no insurance.

Godfather.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    PJ_Soul said:

there was a guy who died in the waiting room in Winnipeg years ago from complications from a bladder infection because he was overlooked for over 36 hours. the nurses are just plain too busy here.

Yeah, a nursing shortage. Sucks. They need to give better incentives to people to become nurses.
    Here in Ontario nurses are being laidoff, 170 locally just got laid off, fortunately for those 170 the US is a viable option.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Here in Ontario nurses are being laidoff, 170 locally just got laid off, fortunately for those 170 the US is a viable option.
    And drs. Are under attack from the government. Messed up here in Ontario.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    sorry to have seemingly derailed your thread. :who_me:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

And drs. Are under attack from the government. Messed up here in Ontario.
    Yes, it's infuriating. I think it's ALL about the government's failure to administrate properly (as opposed to the healthcare framework itself). Bunch of idiots screwing up what can be an excellent system.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    It's easy to be okay with a government rationed system when you're healthy and all you need is a routine exam or some cold medicine.

When you are dealt with a life threatening illness like cancer, choice becomes very important. Because of my private PPO, I was able to choose the best doctors in the nation to care for me when I was sick. I could choose a more aggressive treatment plan out of several options presented. If I had been told I had to see a mediocre doctor based on my home address and then offered only one protocol because that's the government standard in my case, I would have pissed. I read story after story during my illness of that happening to patients in Canada and Europe. People with the same exact cancer in the same exact stage or worse waiting months for appointments and not being offered the same options I had. I had surgery within 10 days of diagnosis, finished radiation in three months, while these women were still waiting to get their first ultrasounds back in the same amount of time.

No thank you. As someone living daily with the threat of recurrence, I am not interested at all in single payer. I will keep my very expensive choices to save my own life.
  • Options
    Single payer doesn't mean you won't have choices...it means there aren't multiple insurance agencies to deal with....just one

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Single payer doesn't mean you won't have choices...it means there aren't multiple insurance agencies to deal with....just one

Tell that to the women I met in my support group.

I only deal with one insurance company . . . the one I chose. I chose the most expensive option because it gives me the most freedom.
    Post edited by what dreams on
  • Options
    I don't get it. If the government told us we could only buy a car from one dealer, we'd be livid. If the government told us we could only get haircuts from one styling school, we'd be like "wtf." But some want to offer one kind of health insurance? The single most important consumer issue facing all of us, and people are in favor of giving it to the government? Blows my mind.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

It's easy to be okay with a government rationed system when you're healthy and all you need is a routine exam or some cold medicine.

When you are dealt with a life threatening illness like cancer, choice becomes very important. Because of my private PPO, I was able to choose the best doctors in the nation to care for me when I was sick. I could choose a more aggressive treatment plan out of several options presented. If I had been told I had to see a mediocre doctor based on my home address and then offered only one protocol because that's the government standard in my case, I would have pissed. I read story after story during my illness of that happening to patients in Canada and Europe. People with the same exact cancer in the same exact stage or worse waiting months for appointments and not being offered the same options I had. I had surgery within 10 days of diagnosis, finished radiation in three months, while these women were still waiting to get their first ultrasounds back in the same amount of time.

No thank you. As someone living daily with the threat of recurrence, I am not interested at all in single payer. I will keep my very expensive choices to save my own life.

I have dealt with life threatening illness and so have members of my family, and I very much support Canada's system, and these life threatening illnesses were dealt with perfectly, and everyone has been very happy with their doctors, and there are always options. I don't feel like you really know what it's like with Canada's healthcare system because all you're reading are the horror stories, which are a small minority of stories (that will exist in ALL systems). BUT, FYI, and to highlight what many Americans don't seem to realize, Canada DOES indeed have private healthcare options as well. If people here want to pay for shit to increase their options, and can afford to do so, they can. But FWIW, I don't know a single person who had cancer and felt that they needed to go this route, and that includes people who could have afforded it. I only know some who choose to go private in order to speed up wait times for non-life threatening conditions.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Well that's all wonderful for you and your family. My private health care options have always worked out just fine as well, so we're all good. You can keep your single payer government system. I'd like to keep my private insurance system. Since they both work, we're both happy, and I see no need for America to become Canada in this regard.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Well that's all wonderful for you and your family. My private health care options have always worked out just fine as well, so we're all good. You can keep your single payer government system. I'd like to keep my private insurance system. Since they both work, we're both happy, and I see no need for America to become Canada in this regard.

I'm sure they have, and that's lovely for you, but the problem is that millions of people under the US system either die or go completely broke because they get sick. With Canada's system that doesn't happen. That is a pretty fucking important difference!
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm sure they have, and that's lovely for you, but that problem is that millions of people under the US system either die or go completely broke because they get sick. With Canada's system that doesn't happen. That is a pretty fucking important difference!
    haha
  • Options

I don't get it. If the government told us we could only buy a car from one dealer, we'd be livid. If the government told us we could only get haircuts from one styling school, we'd be like "wtf." But some want to offer one kind of health insurance? The single most important consumer issue facing all of us, and people are in favor of giving it to the government? Blows my mind.

What options do you have when buying electricity? water? sewer?

come on...think

• Options

come on...think
    And I think it sucks that those services, too, are falling apart in this country. If there were more competition, maybe it wouldn't be so.

Regarding bankruptcies, etc., I have no problem regulating insurance the same way we regulate many other industries in this country. That's basically what the ACA did, regulate the pre-existing conditions, the caps on out of pocket, etc. Problem solved.

You're right, I don't understand Canada because I don't live there. I don't care to, either. I happen to love the country I live in, and I'll never be shamed into believing America sucks balls just because we have some problems to sort through.

I already hand enough of my paycheck over to the government, thank you. They've maxed out what I'm willing to give in exchange for whatever crap they try to fool me into believing is good for me.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Rock on, what dreams.

And while I get not everyone has the option / availability, good on you for doing what you had to, to kick cancer's fucking ass. I hope you never have to do so again.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

I have never once heard of anyone with a life threatening illness having to wait for a fucking thing in Canada. I have known many people with all types of cancer, and they are treated very aggressively and proactively. I'm not sure where you are getting this info from.

wait times suck for an MRI on a busted toe, yes, but for something life threatening? no.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited May 2016

come on...think
    And I think it sucks that those services, too, are falling apart in this country. If there were more competition, maybe it wouldn't be so.

Regarding bankruptcies, etc., I have no problem regulating insurance the same way we regulate many other industries in this country. That's basically what the ACA did, regulate the pre-existing conditions, the caps on out of pocket, etc. Problem solved.

You're right, I don't understand Canada because I don't live there. I don't care to, either. I happen to love the country I live in, and I'll never be shamed into believing America sucks balls just because we have some problems to sort through.

I already hand enough of my paycheck over to the government, thank you. They've maxed out what I'm willing to give in exchange for whatever crap they try to fool me into believing is good for me.
    Whoa. It is not my intention to shame you about where you live or tell you that "Canada's better". In some ways it is, and some ways the USA is better than Canada. I love the USA for the most part, and there are a few places there where I'd love to live (if I had enough money to not worry about my healthcare, anyway). I am taken aback by how defensive you just got. I am simply comparing healthcare systems and correcting some of your misconceptions about Canada's.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

come on...think

Whoa. It is not my intention to shame you about where you live or tell you that "Canada's better". In some ways it is, and some ways the USA is better than Canada. I love the USA for the most part, and there are a few places there where I'd love to live (if I had enough money to not worry about my healthcare, anyway). I am take aback by how defensive you just got. I am simply comparing healthcare systems and correcting some of your misconceptions about Canada's.
    I'm just overall tired of people saying the US should do what Canada does, or that I'm not thinking right, or whatever else is wrong with me because I don't support single payer. Sorry.

I've made whatever point I've made. I would like everyone to have the experience I've had. I had my experience in a privately run network with insurance that does cost some money but I wouldn't trade in a single dollar I paid for it. There is something to be said for shit that actually works.

• Options
    edited May 2016

PJ_Soul said:

come on...think

Whoa. It is not my intention to shame you about where you live or tell you that "Canada's better". In some ways it is, and some ways the USA is better than Canada. I love the USA for the most part, and there are a few places there where I'd love to live (if I had enough money to not worry about my healthcare, anyway). I am take aback by how defensive you just got. I am simply comparing healthcare systems and correcting some of your misconceptions about Canada's.
    I'm just overall tired of people saying the US should do what Canada does, or that I'm not thinking right, or whatever else is wrong with me because I don't support single payer. Sorry.

I've made whatever point I've made. I would like everyone to have the experience I've had. I had my experience in a privately run network with insurance that does cost some money but I wouldn't trade in a single dollar I paid for it. There is something to be said for shit that actually works.

I am of course glad that you got treatment that worked well for you.
    It is too bad that not everyone in the USA has access to the same kind of great treatment.

Don't you think that it's important to look at how other countries do things, or at least fully understand them, and consider them and compare them though? That is how things get improved within all countries.
  • Options

I'll have to disagree here. The only way you can have single payer or as I prefer to call it universal health care is likely through the government ... If you for 1 minute think health care in Canada is better, im telling it's not...and these choices are limited, very limited ...

Saying that I'll take my chances with my universal health care ... But I know just across the river in Detroit they get much better health care if you can afford.

Now maybe countries in Europe are doing better than Canada ... But when the government is control you pretty much except the service their willing to provide..

And everyone should have universal health care and should be the most expensive budgetary item for the government ... Top priority.

• Options

I have never once heard of anyone with a life threatening illness having to wait for a fucking thing in Canada. I have known many people with all types of cancer, and they are treated very aggressively and proactively. I'm not sure where you are getting this info from.

wait times suck for an MRI on a busted toe, yes, but for something life threatening? no.
    True ...

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

I'll have to disagree here. The only way you can have single payer or as I prefer to call it universal health care is likely through the government ... If you for 1 minute think health care in Canada is better, im telling it's not...and these choices are limited, very limited ...

Saying that I'll take my chances with my universal health care ... But I know just across the river in Detroit they get much better health care if you can afford.

Now maybe countries in Europe are doing better than Canada ... But when the government is control you pretty much except the service their willing to provide..

And everyone should have universal health care and should be the most expensive budgetary item for the government ... Top priority.
    Again, there is private healthcare in Canada, so the choices aren't limited at all .... if you have money.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Again, there is private healthcare in Canada, so the choices aren't limited at all .... if you have money.
    You have raised a very good point...except here in Ontario it's pretty much all government. If we have $$$ we can go to the us ... Not convenient. Also healthcare varies greatly from province to province ... You are in BC, your healthcare sounds better than Ontario, you even have pharmacare correct? Here our vision isn't even covered anymore ... So I think that's an important is that in Canada health care varies depending on what province or territory your in. And our drs and nurse are under attack...bless anyone's heart who enters the Ontario healthcare as an employee.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

You have raised a very good point...except here in Ontario it's pretty much all government. If we have $$$ we can go to the us ... Not convenient. Also healthcare varies greatly from province to province ... You are in BC, your healthcare sounds better than Ontario, you even have pharmacare correct? Here our vision isn't even covered anymore ... So I think that's an important is that in Canada health care varies depending on what province or territory your in. And our drs and nurse are under attack...bless anyone's heart who enters the Ontario healthcare as an employee.
    Yes, you're right, it does sound like BC's healthcare is better, and that is the only province I've ever lived iun besides half a year in Alberta (where one trip to the ER went just fine). An important distinction for sure, and I should have remembered to say something about it.
    Yes, BC does have Pharmacare (and it seems very well managed too... I have it without having to lift a finger besides doing my taxes).
    But we also suffer from our vision care not being covered under MSP unless you are below or above a certain age (so at least children and seniors get it). Vision is only covered under extended healthcare, or if it's connected to a wider disease or a life threatening condition or when you're referred. I.e. i injured my eye once and all of that was covered because a doctor referred me to an optometrist to look at it (another time I injured it (i hurt my eye a lot!), and I went to the ER. Full and immediate treatment and coverage. But yeah, just your regular eye exams aren't covered under MSP (I get 80% covered through my extended coverage, which is 100% paid for by my employer. Just like dental).
  • Options
    So she care us similar as Ontario ... We have no pharmacare, unless you have it covered at work or buy private insurabce...