Options

EV Solo Songs at PJ Shows: yes/no?

2»

Comments

• Options
    PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    Love me some EV solo
    I think some EV solo is great during one of the encores.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,639
    Depends on the song
    I think he keeps it to a pretty reasonable minimum now. I don't care if he sings Setting Forth or something during a show. I more have an issue with what I consider EV solo stuff making it onto Pearl Jam ALBUMS. That should stop.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    No, PJ shows are for PJ songs only
    PJ_Soul said:

I think he keeps it to a pretty reasonable minimum now. I don't care if he sings Setting Forth or something during a show. I more have an issue with what I consider EV solo stuff making it onto Pearl Jam ALBUMS. That should stop.

SBM is a trainwreck on LB.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,351
    Depends on the song
    I've always wanted to hear Far Behind with the rest of PJ... I like Setting Forth in the sets.

There are a few PJ songs that sound more like Ed solo than Ed solo does
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Depends on the song

PJ_Soul said:

SBM is a trainwreck on LB.
    Yes. It doesn't work with the album in any way (I don't mind the song itself so much, but it's not great). I was also thinking about some other songs that just sound and feel like EV solo, like Just Breathe and Future Days. I know the band is playing for them (I think? Or is it just EV acoustic plus some bad keyboards? I haven't listened to these stinkers in so long I can't even remember now! I think he at least does Just Breathe on his own?).... but the songs just don't sound like Pearl Jam songs at all IMHO.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    No, PJ shows are for PJ songs only
    I actually like the backspacer ed solo-ish songs, but the LB ones I don't at all. I love Ed solo records, including SBM on Uke, but the full band version is.........which is why I hope for the next record they go with a different producer. or produce it themselves. or let stone produce it!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    Depends on the song
    Setting forth works well in a pj show, and society would too. But it's better when they stick to their collective catalogue, regardless of who wrote it. In retrospect why not a cover of resonate from three fish or a solo stone song would be cool. With the variation of songs they perform each night, rarities are what make bootlegs collect able. At Manchester UK in 2000 the encore set was pretty obscure , leather man, timeless melody and others...why not expand I mean it's only one song now and then. After watching throw your hatred down its cool to experiment. So yeh depending on the song...eds feel for the audience is always pretty good....no more is always unfortunately relevant.
  • Options
    Depends on the song

I actually like the backspacer ed solo-ish songs, but the LB ones I don't at all. I love Ed solo records, including SBM on Uke, but the full band version is.........which is why I hope for the next record they go with a different producer. or produce it themselves. or let stone produce it!

I might like the BS EV songs a lot more if they were on a solo album. Since they're on Backspacer, they just contribute to the overall badness that is Backspacer IMHO.