Request for Toronto: "Polly" by Nirvana

Dear Pearl Jam,
I have never told this story to anyone.
After a bad accident, I had problems with my memory. I could not recognize familiar faces, places, my room, my photos... I could not remember anything. This situation kept on for some days (I hope I can explain correctly in your language, I am Italian).
In those days I could hear in my mind a sort of "he..e..e..", it was clear in my mind but I did not know what it was. "Heee..e..e.." always sounding in me... One day my instict took me to my laptop where I found all your albums. The voice I was hearing in my mind was "Black", the very beginning. I started to listen to each album, each song and I understood I was remembering some of your songs and the more I listened to them, the more my memory could heal.
I have been closed in that room for days, I just listened to your songs over and over again. Some song was carrying a memory, some song was inside myself, waiting for me to listen, to remember, to cure me. I didn't forget your music and thanks to it, I was able to recover myself and my memory. Nothing else worked.
I never understood why but in those days nobody was with me, I was alone, not even my family was there.
My name is Paola but since I was a child my family calls me Polly.
You have been my family, and still today you are my family.
That is why I would like to request that you play "Polly" by Nirvana at Toronto show.
Because it says my name like my family does. It would be surreal to hear that played by you, I also thought that the lyrics are suitable for you, considering that nobody has been able to interpret women's point of view in rock music like you did.
I travelled from Italy to Canada to see you. Your music saved my life.
People don't understand why I should travel so far, why I love you so much, but today it doesn't matter: you and I understand.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Thank you Eddie, Mike, Stone, Jeff, Matt.
Where your fingers and your voices end, my memory begins.

Polly from Italy.

Nothing as it seems

Comments

• DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,482
    Hoping tonight is your night. Would be fun to hear the boys pull it off.
    Love your picture, Nice collection you got there :)
  • calvo17calvo17 Posts: 440
    What an awesome story! Good luck with the request!
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there.
    11/20/11 San Jose, Costa Rica
    10/18/13 Brooklyn 1
    10/19/13 Brooklyn 2
    10/21/13 Philly 1
    10/22/13 Philly 2 (BREATH!!)
    10/25/13 Hartford
    10/22/14 Denver (BREATH!!!)
  • Thank you all!! They didn't play it, actually it was pretty hard. When I finished to write my request I understood that the important thing was for me to be able to write it, to let the story go. Thank you for the coments
    Nothing as it seems
  • :rock_on:
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,531
    You got a tambourine at Toronto 2 though, no? I thought I saw that when Eddie gave one to someone on Stone's side with an Italian Flag it was you. If so congrats!

If not, just know that many people found your story touching, and to keep things in perspective so that you don't feel bad, Pearl Jam never really covers it's contemporaries. As I'm sure you know, while they cover the older generation (the Who, Pink Floyd, Neil), there are few, if any covers I can think of where they have covered bands that came out around the same time as them.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • paolabeniciopaolabenicio Posts: 15
    edited May 2016
    mwplum said:

You got a tambourine at Toronto 2 though, no? I thought I saw that when Eddie gave one to someone on Stone's side with an Italian Flag it was you. If so congrats!

If not, just know that many people found your story touching, and to keep things in perspective so that you don't feel bad, Pearl Jam never really covers it's contemporaries. As I'm sure you know, while they cover the older generation (the Who, Pink Floyd, Neil), there are few, if any covers I can think of where they have covered bands that came out around the same time as them.

Hi dear! It was a friend of mine who had the tambourine, sha was holding an Italian flag as well, she was moved!!! The friend on my side (we were on the rail) had the bottle of wine (Italian wine!!) expressely from Vedder and went crazy enough for that! We all went together to a bar after the show and took so many pics, it was incredible!!!
    I feel that your perspective about covers is really correct and I never thought about it (the age of the original band, I mean). I will think about it and actually they do cover only of past band, not recent bands. Thank you :)

I saw that many people felt involved, let's say, into my story and I think that some found himself/herself in other parts of the world, probably they lived similar issues. I am grateful for having met this band and in particular for all the people around this band: it is not only sharing a passion, it is a real great world, where I met the best people and some are my best friends still today.
    Post edited by paolabenicio on
    Nothing as it seems