I got skunked outta Binaural.

Sometimes life gives you lemons... sometimes it gives you skunk.

I literally feel like I've been in a break up... I was so looking forward to actually following the band for 2 shows.
Ottawa went down without a hitch, great show, great energy in the crowd... we traveled back down the 401 and spent the night in Toronto. Tuesday morning we woke in the hotel to a text from my daughter saying the dog had barfed and it stunk in the house (My parents had come over to care for our daughter and dog while we were on our adventure) As it turned out I got a text from my mum just after that to tell me that they thought a skunk had sprayed Maynard and that the house smelled. By 8am we had to make the decision to get back home to London and deal with the mess that was left. My parents let the dog in the house over night and left him there when taking the kid to school, they wouldn't have returned till after she was done school. A dog sprayed by a skunk with full reign of the house.
Fortunately we got back at about 1030 with supplies in hand...

Everything smelled... EVERYTHING.. He'd been in my room.. my clothes all need to be washed...
Granted... I still have a house standing and I know that there is perspective with what's going on in Fort Mac for example but in my mind... this was 100% preventable...

We picked the kid up from school and there was rumblings about the smell of skunk that had been present that day.
Later my daughter told me how kids were plugging their nose around her and that she'd cried. It broke my heart.
We started watching the show together on peri-scope... and when they played god's dice I was like.. OMG this is it.
Leading up to the show I thought I wonder, maybe we will get Binaural in TO. Sure enough. And I had to miss it.
We had every intention of going back to Toronto for the show but after hit after hit that day... we had too much to do to try and get our house back in order and I shed too many tears to be able to drive that day. I lost 3 lbs that day and I told my husband it was all tears.

I just felt the need to explain my story to people who will get it.. I was truly heartbroken to have to miss last nights show.
I am angry at my parents for making poor decisions, that will subside... but I'm not sure I'll get over not getting this experience with my fellow fans.

Not enough people in my life understand or get my pearl jam obsession and so I come to you guys for love and support.
HK

Comments

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    Sorry to hear. That sucks!
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    Wow, I'm heartbroken and I never even had intention to go to Toronto, can't imagine your pain.

Hopefully the kids in school will understand the skunk story and not be too harsh on your daughter.
  • sheckyshecky Posts: 1,774
    May I please offer a little perspective?
    Be glad that your Mom and Dad are still alive - they won't be forever.
    I, and many others here, can attest to that.
    And if you may have said some unkind things to your Mom and Dad in the heat of the moment, I suggest you make amends today, not tomorrow.
  • HK_PJMommaHK_PJMomma Posts: 89
    I didn't say much because as you said, I didn't want to regret anything that was said. While I'm angry today I know that it will pass. I understand and respect completely where you are coming from. Thank you for sharing.... :blush:
    I'm more angry at their poor decision making skills in this situation than at them. We know we love each other and they didn't do this on purpose... It just STINKS. Literally.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    edited May 2016
    You missed a great show, but you also got a great show right? I work at Penn State and missed the '03 mega-show here because of my kid's summer band concert that night. I remember walking right by the venue on my way to the car feeling heartbroken, but knowing my son would feel the same way if I chose a PJ show over him. Parenting is about sacrifice and you did the right thing. Take solace in that and buy the boot! In time the skunk story will be one you tell with fond memories of how crazy and great things used to be before the kids were grown and gone.

Edit: I also rocked EXTRA hard when they came to Philly in '05 to make up for it. As long as the band stays together there will always be another show!
    Post edited by DeLukin on
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Sometimes you gotta vent! (opening windows included)

Sorry for your disappointment, but sounds like you have a solid handle/mindset on it overall.
  • I'm more angry at their poor decision making skills in this situation than at them. We know we love each other and they didn't do this on purpose... It just STINKS. Literally.

don't worry about "perspective" right now. you are allowed to be disappointed. I think most of us get that. I was super bummed last night not being there and I didn't even have a ticket! Can't afford the travel right now.

I can't imagine the feeling of having plans to go to the show and being put on a different path and missing out on Binaural Night (especially when it was someone else's fuck up). Sorry that happened to you.

Maybe when the boot comes out, you and your husband can get a sitter, grab some wine, and crank it up and dance. or watch the show on youtube and be in the moment like you were there!
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• PP193448PP193448 Posts: 4,281
    Oh, man. That stinks!!!
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
    Nice one.. HAHA I did just need to vent.. to people who GET IT.
    The bottom line is it's heartbreaking to get all pumped up for a show to have it ripped away from ya...
    This too shall pass.. but the scent of it may last a life time.
  • mrluthor9mrluthor9 Posts: 264
    Oh man...sorry you missed that show. I used to have a Great Dane that I swore got sprayed by skunks on purpose just so she could drink the tomato juice I poured over her head and face in the clean-up process. Picture how many cans of tomato juice it takes to clean a 150 pound dog!
    All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives,.....choosing the shiny ones instead,......
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    oh man,,sorry that happens
    wish u all the best
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Thanks for taking the time to read and comment @dimitrispearljam @mrluthor9 @PP193448 @HughFreakingDillon @hedonist @DeLukin @shecky @RiotZact @SVRDhand13
    It's nice to just have that support and understanding(my hubby isn't hardcore like me).
    Much appreciated!!!
    And @mrluthor9 what a punk dog! LOL just for some tomato juice?!
  • mrluthor9mrluthor9 Posts: 264

And @mrluthor9 what a punk dog! LOL just for some tomato juice?!

Lol...she wasn't the sharpest tack in the box but she was awesome. Apparently I was going about it all wrong..it seems tomato juice only masks the smell. Of course there was no google back then.
    •1 quart of 3-percent hydrogen peroxide (available at your local pharmacy)
    •1/4 cup baking soda
    •1 teaspoon liquid dishwashing soap

Have a pre-mixed solution ready next time you plan a trip and let your parents or pet sitter know where it is. Hopefully you won't get skunked out of any more shows.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives,.....choosing the shiny ones instead,......
  • davidosdavidos Posts: 481
    Sorry to read about your bad day! Having been there with our Golden "Elvis" I can attest that it is no fun and exhausting to say the least... yes, first world problems but I understand the need to vent about the emotional roller coaster you just endured...

Buy a copy of the boot when it comes out... put on some good headphones and crack a bottle of wine... you will be there...
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,275

Sometimes life gives you lemons... sometimes it gives you skunk.

I literally feel like I've been in a break up... I was so looking forward to actually following the band for 2 shows.
    Ottawa went down without a hitch, great show, great energy in the crowd... we traveled back down the 401 and spent the night in Toronto. Tuesday morning we woke in the hotel to a text from my daughter saying the dog had barfed and it stunk in the house (My parents had come over to care for our daughter and dog while we were on our adventure) As it turned out I got a text from my mum just after that to tell me that they thought a skunk had sprayed Maynard and that the house smelled. By 8am we had to make the decision to get back home to London and deal with the mess that was left. My parents let the dog in the house over night and left him there when taking the kid to school, they wouldn't have returned till after she was done school. A dog sprayed by a skunk with full reign of the house.
    Fortunately we got back at about 1030 with supplies in hand...

Everything smelled... EVERYTHING.. He'd been in my room.. my clothes all need to be washed...
    Granted... I still have a house standing and I know that there is perspective with what's going on in Fort Mac for example but in my mind... this was 100% preventable...

We picked the kid up from school and there was rumblings about the smell of skunk that had been present that day.
    Later my daughter told me how kids were plugging their nose around her and that she'd cried. It broke my heart.
    We started watching the show together on peri-scope... and when they played god's dice I was like.. OMG this is it.
    Leading up to the show I thought I wonder, maybe we will get Binaural in TO. Sure enough. And I had to miss it.
    We had every intention of going back to Toronto for the show but after hit after hit that day... we had too much to do to try and get our house back in order and I shed too many tears to be able to drive that day. I lost 3 lbs that day and I told my husband it was all tears.

I just felt the need to explain my story to people who will get it.. I was truly heartbroken to have to miss last nights show.
    I am angry at my parents for making poor decisions, that will subside... but I'm not sure I'll get over not getting this experience with my fellow fans.

Not enough people in my life understand or get my pearl jam obsession and so I come to you guys for love and support.
    HK

Sorry to hear , but did you go over everything with your parents as to how to care for your dog what not to do ? I'm sorry but for you to say it's all their fault Is also not fair sometimes rock concerts are not worth it even for this band ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,351
    Very sorry for your daughter. Kids can be cruel but hopefully it can turn into a joke that she will be in on.

You did the right thing, imagine you did go to this show? You wouldn't have been able to enjoy it knowing your little one was suffering.
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1 '21 Jersey Shore '22 MSG  '24: MSG1, MSG2
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    I know that it won't make up for missing the show but send me a PM when the boot comes out and I will buy you a copy of the show so that you can hear it.
  • ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    It's really hard when even those closest to you can't fathom how PJ could mean so much to you.
    It's bad enough when you have to forego a show intentionally -- I mean, when you recognize well in advance that you won't be able to go just because of conflicting commitments-- but to think you're about to about to go and have it snatched away at the last minute is really awful. That all remains true even when other things do legitimately have to take higher priority, and you have no hesitation about what you have to do.
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    That sucks. You tried to have a short holiday for a couple days and it got interrupted by a stupid/silly incident which had become a bigger deal than it ever needed to. You're allowed to be frustrated/disappointed. Feel those feelings!

Maybe next tour get a dog friendly hotel and bring the pooch! :smiley:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    PJ-Cubs said:

I know that it won't make up for missing the show but send me a PM when the boot comes out and I will buy you a copy of the show so that you can hear it.

Ahh... thanks! but you don't need to do that.. I earmarked my free codes for that. :smiley: Thank you so much for the offer... very kind of you!!!

Thanks to everyone else for the support! It's just sucked to get so close, so amped up and then NOT getting to go... :anguished:
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    by the way toothpaste works better than tomato juice . it has grit in it that takes the oil off the coat.tomato juice just works at the time. but hey in that case doing anything is better than nothing. should have put the dog outside till you got home. sorry for the loss of show. i had this happen once and it was late at night but not on a pj concert night. skunk takes a while.