Dear Pearl Jam, you wrote some GREAT songs after 1998...

2»

Comments

• my2hands said:

or maybe most people prefer to shift to Nostalgia mode and I'm in the minority?

considering I was seemingly the only person in my 10c section that knew what "Throw Your Hatred Down" was in Philly and the pit looked like a bunch of statues, I could be in the minority even around here?

This thread is one of the main reasons I regret not going to Chicago in 2000.

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    It's funny because on the other forum everyone bitches about Riot Act, Avocado, Backspacer, and Lightning Bolt like it's their job.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,188
    edited May 2016
    my2hands said:

Feel free to play them a little more often...

just because those albums didn't sell 5 million copies and the drunk guy at the top of the arena might not know them and sing a long with them, they are still great records and a lot of us still love them and would love to hear them

you have the best catalog of songs in modern rock history, don't be shy, please show it off

I don't think a band/artist should "ever" cater to the fans. They should play the songs they enjoy, the songs that has meaning to them and with a message they want to put out there.

So I'm all for this.

I would love to hear a concert where they don't cater to the hardcore-fans OR the general concert goer and just play the songs they really want to play. If that's all covers, or not playing Alive so be it. Hopefully that would be a bunch of Riot Act songs though :D
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Call me a catalogue snob, by why else does anyone go to several shows a tour (for those that do)? To hear Evolution and Evenflow?

To experience the adrenaline and joy of a Pearl Jam show live? The setlist init self doesn't matter much to me when I'm in the building. DTE has never not been a highlight of a concert. When they play Evenflow they feel to much like "paid entertainers" to me so that I can live without. That song doesn't seem to mean much to the band anymore or has been worn out and dragged out as pure entertainment. To me atleast.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited May 2016
    Mike D88 said:

It's funny because on the other forum everyone bitches about Riot Act, Avocado, Backspacer, and Lightning Bolt like it's their job.

If all they want to hear is 20+ year old songs from Ten, Vs., Vitalogy, and Yield then more power to them... i know some people that can listen to 38 different versions of Black and Even Flow on bootlegs... that's definitely not me... I can only listen to those old "hits" when I'm in the building, I literally skip them on bootlegs every single time unless I really like a tag on Daughter or Betterman... I will also change the Sirius chanel in my gf's car when they come on, which sometimes she gets upset, but I have literally heard Black over 1,000 times in my life, there is absolutely no need for me to hear certain older songs like that unless it's live and I'm in the building

Does anyone over the age of 30 really think Even Flow is a better song than Sleight of Hand or I Am Mine? I love a great McCready solo as much as the next man, BUT, I prefer a little mature nuance over slash and burn arena cock rock at this point in my life and some of those older "big" songs are starting to sound like arena cock rock... which I know Cobain blasted them for... which is probably why my favorite album is still No Code because they made a conscious decision to move away from that...

I haven't listened to the studio version of Ten, Vs, or Vitalogy in YEARS, and when I want to listen to a studio record I almost ALWAYS grab Binaural or Riot Act or something else released in the 21st century
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Attaway77 said:

Wma31394 said:

Ladies and gentlemen..we have catalog snobs!!

Eddie please refer to fans as catolog snobs in Toronto.. Thanks in advance

What does that mean? This is a great freaking tour and the band sounds better than ever, nobodies debating that…..Hell yeah we all want to hear more Binaural and Riot Act, random songs from other albums. Isn't that the point of seeing your favorite band live? If so, oh well.. Put me down as a catalog snob. PJ4LIFE
    Sound better?? I'll debate that. Sure SETLIST are great but do they sound better or preform better than 1992-2003. No way. What band can you say was their best at age 50 or after? The answer is none. When it's all said and done fans aren't going to say pj was in their prime in 2016 or after.

Joking about catolog snobs. I'm just tired of all the requests..bitching about what to play..what is the greatest show.. Etc..The fact is we have all seen these songs from every album. Some more than others but pj knows how to spread out the jams. This tour is the perfect example.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
    my2hands said:

considering I was seemingly the only person in my 10c section that knew what "Throw Your Hatred Down" was in Philly and the pit looked like a bunch of statues, I could be in the minority even around here?

• karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806

my2hands said:

Feel free to play them a little more often...

just because those albums didn't sell 5 million copies and the drunk guy at the top of the arena might not know them and sing a long with them, they are still great records and a lot of us still love them and would love to hear them

you have the best catalog of songs in modern rock history, don't be shy, please show it off

I don't think a band/artist should "ever" cater to the fans. They should play the songs they enjoy, the songs that has meaning to them and with a message they want to put out there.

So I'm all for this.

I would love to hear a concert where they don't cater to the hardcore-fans OR the general concert goer and just play the songs they really want to play. If that's all covers, or not playing Alive so be it. Hopefully that would be a bunch of Riot Act songs though :D
    I think it is important for a band to have a mix. Some catering must be done.
    My other favorite band plays alot of songs past 15 minutes. When I saw them last week they came back to do the second encore and told the crowd: Relax we're not going. We will play one more song. So we'll be here for another half hour. And that's what they did they played one song that lasted thirty minutes. I love tripping on their jams, but to get a few nuggets in between al the spacetripping is very nice and keeps things balanced.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • An artist of any kind has two responibilities: to entertain and to remain true to themselves. Pearl Jam is the best in the business at this. They mix it up perfectly between what a casual fan wants to hear and what the hardcore fan wants. They honour requests, which is incredibly selfless, nit to mention risky. Playing a song for one person out of 15,000???? Are you shitting me? You risk losing the momentum of the audience energy. They do it flawlessly. Do you think they want to play Even Flow or Alive every single night? The song, maybe not so much. They probably rarely rehearse those. But the reaction they get from the crowd during Alive must be something that you or I will never, ever understand.

That's performance.

That's Pearl Jam.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

Wma31394 said:

Attaway77 said:

Wma31394 said:

What does that mean? This is a great freaking tour and the band sounds better than ever, nobodies debating that…..Hell yeah we all want to hear more Binaural and Riot Act, random songs from other albums. Isn't that the point of seeing your favorite band live? If so, oh well.. Put me down as a catalog snob. PJ4LIFE
    Sound better?? I'll debate that. Sure SETLIST are great but do they sound better or preform better than 1992-2003. No way. What band can you say was their best at age 50 or after? The answer is none. When it's all said and done fans aren't going to say pj was in their prime in 2016 or after.
    I think Pearl Jam is a better live band in 2016 then they were in 2003-2010... I did not see them before 2003 so I cannot comment on those years
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    my2hands said:

Wma31394 said:

Attaway77 said:

Wma31394 said:

I think Pearl Jam is a better live band in 2016 then they were in 2003-2010... I did not see them before 2003 so I cannot comment on those years
    i haven't been to a '16 show yet but I would have to agree from what I've seen on periscope and youtube.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,142

I saw PJ 4 times between '98 & '08. Those were great shows, but nothing that inspired me all that much. The Boston & Hartford shows in 2010 were eye opening, borderline religious experiences for me and I've since seen a dozen more shows traveling as far as Denver in '14.

I can say without a doubt that nothing I saw Pearl Jam do before 2010 can hold a candle to anything I've seen them do since then.

These last 6 years have been amazing, and IMO the best this band has ever played.

These last 6 years have been amazing, and IMO the best this band has ever played.

I completely agree... they definitely seem tighter, more practiced/polished , and having more fun on stage than ever... I think Ed not smoking has helped him, probably mike as well... i just wish they would play more songs written after 1998!!!
  • evdjj3jevdjj3j Posts: 114
    I think that most people go to shows to enjoy themselves rather than to see how many songs they can collect and the band knows this. So they play shows that will be enjoyable by the most people.
  • adamg5adamg5 Posts: 802
    edited May 2016
    I like this thread. Saw PJ in 98 and honestly no comparison to now. Especially the crowds. Mosh pits and just absolutely everyone into it I mean everyone. The entire parking lot was filled with people tailgating bumping PJ I'll never forget it. I felt Cameron was playing top notch cause he was playing songs as they were written. I see him now playing stuff like in my tree and given to fly his way and I don't like it. Too many fills on Other songs to. He is amazing for what he does day in and day out. He's a beast and is the glue to keeping PJ together.

With that said 2013 was a page turner from previous years. It was unreal seeing them jam the way they did and they continue to rock the house in 2016. But I have to agree with OP that the band could play more from there catalogue as of late. Not mankind or whale song but hits like love boat, ghost, no way, I am mine, who you are, smile, habit, etc
    Maybe my fault for going to so many shows but I'm tired of evenflow, alive and yellow Ledbetter.

I honestly have never been so underwhelmed by a show until MSG2. It was a god awful feeling that I could not get past. I'm happy others felt it was a great show and had a amazing time:) bring on the haters;)
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    evdjj3j said:

I think that most people go to shows to enjoy themselves rather than to see how many songs they can collect and the band knows this. So they play shows that will be enjoyable by the most people.

I feel like EV respects the "serious collector" as he mentions them sometimes when busting out a rarity.

Pearl Jam are really near perfect at balancing a set for the casual and hardcore fan.

But as a hardcore fan, I'd rather hear more off of Binaural, and Riot Act, than Ten and Vs.

• SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Wma31394 said:

Attaway77 said:

Wma31394 said:

Joking about catolog snobs. I'm just tired of all the requests..bitching about what to play..what is the greatest show.. Etc..The fact is we have all seen these songs from every album. Some more than others but pj knows how to spread out the jams. This tour is the perfect example.
    No one here is bitching, except arguably you are about this thread. OP merely stated that PJ has a huge catalogue of songs that fans don't always get to hear but would love to. I happen to agree. I was at the Philly and MSG shows and had a blast at each of them. Have no regrets being there and would not trade the shows especially the MSG ones for anything. But I am envious of Quebec City and the setlist that they got.
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436

An artist of any kind has two responibilities: to entertain and to remain true to themselves. Pearl Jam is the best in the business at this. They mix it up perfectly between what a casual fan wants to hear and what the hardcore fan wants. They honour requests, which is incredibly selfless, nit to mention risky. Playing a song for one person out of 15,000???? Are you shitting me? You risk losing the momentum of the audience energy. They do it flawlessly. Do you think they want to play Even Flow or Alive every single night? The song, maybe not so much. They probably rarely rehearse those. But the reaction they get from the crowd during Alive must be something that you or I will never, ever understand.

That's performance.

That's Pearl Jam.

Beautifully stated - and why I can't wait until Tuesday and Thursday!!!!
    RiotZact said:

I honestly think the problem is that most of the songs post Yield are very polarizing. For example I would DIE to hear Rival or Parting Ways, but God's Dice and Slight of Hand bore the fuck out of me, so me saying "please play more Binaural!" is kind of a crap shoot. But on the other side albums like Ten and Vs are pretty much 100% filled with songs that everyone at least likes.

Exactly.
    mrpink90 said:

theres no reason songs like grievance, insignificance, nothing as it seems, save you, i am mine, severed hand, life wasted, comatose, etc should NOT be in regular rotation. im shocked they dont play grievance and insignificance more. grievance is a perfect song to play early in the show where animal, hail hail, corduroy, go, etc are always played

Well I gotta admit that next week I hope I hear all of those last four songs you mentioned.
  • 1rogeraspain21rogeraspain2 Posts: 104
    edited May 2016
    Suziemay said:

Wma31394 said:

Attaway77 said:

Wma31394 said:

No one here is bitching, except arguably you are about this thread. OP merely stated that PJ has a huge catalogue of songs that fans don't always get to hear but would love to. I happen to agree. I was at the Philly and MSG shows and had a blast at each of them. Have no regrets being there and would not trade the shows especially the MSG ones for anything. But I am envious of Quebec City and the setlist that they got.
    ^^ Amen brother! My sentiments exactly (except I wasn't in Philly). And yeah, ... what a killer setlist in QC.

MSG shows were cool; no regrets; but I find myself jealous over the QC and Greenville setlists too.
  • SarahSarah Posts: 736
    Seconded! I'd especially love more songs off Binaural, Riot Act and "Avocado".
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
    shit, it looks like most of Lightning Bolt has already been shelved...

it seems a lot of the songs from Backspacer & Lightning Bolt were recorded strictly for a studio release and were not made to play live...
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,448
    my2hands said:

Mike D88 said:

If all they want to hear is 20+ year old songs from Ten, Vs., Vitalogy, and Yield then more power to them... i know some people that can listen to 38 different versions of Black and Even Flow on bootlegs... that's definitely not me... I can only listen to those old "hits" when I'm in the building, I literally skip them on bootlegs every single time unless I really like a tag on Daughter or Betterman... I will also change the Sirius chanel in my gf's car when they come on, which sometimes she gets upset, but I have literally heard Black over 1,000 times in my life, there is absolutely no need for me to hear certain older songs like that unless it's live and I'm in the building

Does anyone over the age of 30 really think Even Flow is a better song than Sleight of Hand or I Am Mine? I love a great McCready solo as much as the next man, BUT, I prefer a little mature nuance over slash and burn arena cock rock at this point in my life and some of those older "big" songs are starting to sound like arena cock rock... which I know Cobain blasted them for... which is probably why my favorite album is still No Code because they made a conscious decision to move away from that...

I haven't listened to the studio version of Ten, Vs, or Vitalogy in YEARS, and when I want to listen to a studio record I almost ALWAYS grab Binaural or Riot Act or something else released in the 21st century
    um yes, yes i do. well over 30 here and 26 shows in. Even Flow is a classic and one of the top 500 rock and roll songs of all time. I am Mine is great but it ain't no classic. that being said doesn't mean I would complain if I am Mine is played live over Even Flow even if I don't think I am Mine comes across live very well.

I said this in another thread but do Springsteen fans complain about songs like Badlands, Thunder Road, Born to Run and Rosalita being played too much? Because Bruce has a much larger catalog then PJ and those songs are played pretty much every Bruce show. and you know what, they still fucking rock for Bruce as much as Alive does for PJ.
  • SpagsSpags Posts: 3,031
    DeLukin said:

^ Waaait. How do we know this was REALLY written by Pearl Jam???

That made me lol!
    Nature drunk and High
  • EnterThanmanEnterThanman Posts: 1,057
    my2hands said:

Mike D88 said:

I feel the exact same way. I tried to listen to Ten the other day and felt really weird about it, actually skipped to Oceans and Deep and shut it off, where as I can listen to any album from 2001 onwards any time. The problem is that those early records still get the biggest reaction live. I still wish they'do cater to the hardcore/travelling fans a little more who don't need to hear anything from pre 1995 again.
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl