Merch Flippers

I just took a look at Ebay to see if people were really selling the $2 sticker from New Orleans for more than $15....and it is true. Beyond that I saw sticker, pin and poster combo's selling for $125-ish. Now, were the posters available anywhere else beyond the 10c? I know that the items were not sold at the Heritage Fest in NO at all. They only were pawning off their merchandise and did not allow for any bands to sell band-centric merch. Does that mean that all of the Ebay stuff is just being flipped by 10c members? While the artist may have sold some on his site, the idea of the merch bundles seems to lead me to conclude that they had to get it from 10c....

I wasn't at the show...I am just bummed for the folks who are 10c members who attended the show and tried to get the items from the "fan-club". I am sure some (or most) of them were denied the ability to get a good remembrance for their evening of rock and roll bliss because some members were just trying to make a buck on their membership perks....I am not clamoring for change and spewing out all sorts of "wishful thinking" ideas that could not possibly be implemented. I am just disappointed for the fans who really want the memorabilia for their personal enjoyment who got heisman-ed by folks who purchases it for one reason and one reason only. The world may be proud of capitalist enterprises and the entrepreneurial spirit....but that should take a back seat when it comes to situations like this....

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    There are many among us.

The band and artists benefit from fostering this competitive micro economy. Methods of selling these as well as limiting a lot of things "forces" people to over-buy and covet items they normally wouldnt.
    They don't do this with everything though. The vault pre orders come to mind.

• JasonTeckJasonTeck Posts: 179
    Do you have to be a fan club member to purchase stuff from pearljam.com? If not then I am guessing the word got out and people gobbled up the merch. I always have felt that fan club members should always have a head start when it comes to the merchandise the same way we do with tickets. With the amount we pay for a membership...you would think that would be a perk. By no means am I dissing this fan club; because they have done a lot for the fans. It would just be a great perk to be first in line. But on the flip(per) side...it would not surprise me to see the flippers buying fan club memberships just to buy up posters and stickers.
    1992 - Lollapalooza - St. Louis
    1994 - St. Louis
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - St. Louis
    2007 - Lollapalooza - Chicago
    2008 - Eddie Vedder Solo - Chicago
    2010 - St. Louis
    2011 - Eddie Vedder Solo - St. Louis
    2014 - St. Louis
    2016 - New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival
    2018 - Wrigley Field - Chicago
    2022 - St. Louis & Oklahoma City
    2023 - Chicago N1 & N2
  • PP193448PP193448 Posts: 4,281
    MayDay10 said:

There are many among us.

The band and artists benefit from fostering this competitive micro economy. Methods of selling these as well as limiting a lot of things "forces" people to over-buy and covet items they normally wouldnt.

Falla sheep. Why the fuck did I buy falla sheep?? Merch addiction.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    MayDay10 said:

There are many among us.

Hoping we here about a vault release in the May 10th newsletter
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • PP193448 said:

MayDay10 said:

There are many among us.

I now own a flock of Falla sheep....my kids love 'em though...strangest toy battles ever. The sheep troop with the guitar guns kicks the snot out of most of the Star Wars figures when they go at it head-to-head.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    PP193448 said:

MayDay10 said:

There are many among us.

I'm going to lie.

I definitely do not own a couple of unopened falla sheep
  • JasonTeck said:

Do you have to be a fan club member to purchase stuff from pearljam.com? If not then I am guessing the word got out and people gobbled up the merch. I always have felt that fan club members should always have a head start when it comes to the merchandise the same way we do with tickets. With the amount we pay for a membership...you would think that would be a perk. By no means am I dissing this fan club; because they have done a lot for the fans. It would just be a great perk to be first in line. But on the flip(per) side...it would not surprise me to see the flippers buying fan club memberships just to buy up posters and stickers.

I don't know the answer to that...I always thought that posters and such were being offered to 10c fan members and through the pj.com site....that could well be the fly in my arguments ointment. I have to imagine that some of them are 10c members....all I can say is "a pox on your house"....whatever that entails...
  • JasonTeckJasonTeck Posts: 179

JasonTeck said:

I don't know the answer to that...I always thought that posters and such were being offered to 10c fan members and through the pj.com site....that could well be the fly in my arguments ointment. I have to imagine that some of them are 10c members....all I can say is "a pox on your house"....whatever that entails...
    Yeah, I have always bought items just for me...or just one extra for a friend. I have been at a show and just missed out so that is why I never over indulge on merchandise. I know I could easily buy a couple of extra items and sell on eBay for three or four times what I paid...but then I would be screwing someone else out of a poster or sticker.
    1992 - Lollapalooza - St. Louis
    1994 - St. Louis
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - St. Louis
    2007 - Lollapalooza - Chicago
    2008 - Eddie Vedder Solo - Chicago
    2010 - St. Louis
    2011 - Eddie Vedder Solo - St. Louis
    2014 - St. Louis
    2016 - New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival
    2018 - Wrigley Field - Chicago
    2022 - St. Louis & Oklahoma City
    2023 - Chicago N1 & N2
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson Posts: 1,366
    Gotta love people who "fund" their shows flipping merch. :disappointed:
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    edited May 2016

Easier than flipping grill cheese I bet.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,882
    Wma31394 said:

Easier than flipping grill cheese I bet.
    Actually, I bet you'd make more selling grilled cheese sandwiches in the lot before a show. and no long lines to wait in.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• You can still buy the New Orleans sticker here for $2 (+$6 shipping) so if someone pays $15 on ebay that's their own fucking fault.

Ten Club could easily offer an "add on 1 poster" option to lottery options, even adding on shipping cost, and people would eat it up without even knowing what the poster looks like. They don't do this... so... who knows.

Falla Sheep--I knew these were a waste of money when they came out and it's funny to see people now regret trying to collect them all. :) Sorry guys.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,826

They could easily avoid this by doing presales for posters and selling the show specific merch on the website. But they don't so I don't fault people for taking advantage of this merch craze if people are willing to pay these crazy prices.
  • Gotta love people who "fund" their shows flipping merch. :disappointed:

They could easily avoid this by doing presales for posters and selling the show specific merch on the website. But they don't so I don't fault people for taking advantage of this merch craze if people are willing to pay these crazy prices.
    Me either. Instead they make May Day shirts that sell as fast as whatever the opposite of hotcakes would be.

I have never paid $100+ for a poster or $25 for a sticker. If people out there think they have the money to do so, more power to them.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • NSLNSL Posts: 293
    If they put it on the website as a presale, then that opens the door for anyone to buy the poster, not just people going to that show.
    2004-10-06 - Asheville, NC
    2013-10-30 - Charlotte, NC
    2016-04-16 - Greenville, SC
    2016-04-20 - Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21 - Columbia, SC
    2016-05-01 - New York, NY
    2022-09-16 - Nashville, TN
    2022-09-17 - Louisville, KY
    2023-09-10 - Noblesville, IN
    2023-09-13 - Fort Worth, TX
    2023-09-15 - Fort Worth, TX
    2024-08-26 - Noblesville, IN
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,826
    NSL said:

If they put it on the website as a presale, then that opens the door for anyone to buy the poster, not just people going to that show.

And what's the harm in that?
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    NSL said:

By having a merch truck outside the venue they already allow people not attending a show to buy them. The bottom line here is that PJ & 10c enable the behavior that people are complaining about.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • jeffbr said:

NSL said:

By having a merch truck outside the venue they already allow people not attending a show to buy them. The bottom line here is that PJ & 10c enable the behavior that people are complaining about.
    That totally makes sense. Personally, I loved the merch truck outside of the Oracle Arena in Oakland...bought my poster and shirt...tossed it in the car...went and saw a kick ass show unencumbered...
    This situation is a bit different. There was no way to buy the merch at the event...therefore, all of the posters/buttons/shirts/stickers were purchased through the website and, more specifically, the 10C. Therefore, it is reasonable to conclude that the items for this particular event were purchases by fans (and dare I say, fanclub members) with the sole intention of selling them on-line for a ridiculous profit. I don't know (and can't find out quickly with the website down) whether these items were available to people through PJ.com or only available to the 10c members. If it is the later, it is just disappointing. As fans of the band who have paid into this club, perhaps we have made a unspoken agreement with our fellow fans to purchase for your private collection, but, if that doesn't interest you, leave if for someone who actually cares about the item.

Totally hippy-dippy....I am off of that now...buy away...screw your friends--both ones that you know and don't know.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    edited May 2016
    I have no problem with merch flippers (as long as the merch is legit). Have used them in the past and will most likely use them again. If high prices/limited supply are the issues increasing supply/availability is the solution. Flippers are just giving us what we want after all. It's Capitalism, baby....
    Post edited by DeLukin on
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    DeLukin said:

I have no problem with merch flippers (as long as the merch is legit). Have used them in the past and will most likely use them again. If high prices/limited supply are the issues increasing supply/availability is the solution. Flippers are just giving us what we want after all. It's Capitalism, baby....

"Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,023
    Well the silver lining to the flippers is I guess, is the value it puts on all of our merch. (supply and demand) A small reward for the countless time we spend waiting in lines to get what we want, and collect. Makes it all the more valuable.
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,272
    i thought the pearl jam flippers were great but they didn't have my size