Options

great songs not played in philly/msg

just making a list of album songs not played for my own curiosity. not super rare songs either so im not including stuff like satans bed or sleight of hand or inside job, etc. i just feel like their shows are getting a teeny bit predictable. i understand they have a tough job balancing pleasing the die hards and the casual fans who only wanna hear the hits. i understand they wanna play even flow every nite, but does it have to be mid 1st set every single night? maybe open with it 1 nite or the 2nd song. thats what made opening with ten the other nite so amazing, alive as the 3rd song of the show made it completely different and fresh. the 2nd encores are becoming very predictable. the last 3 songs for both msg shows i predicted before they played 1 note. i like what they do with black and daughter, huge hits but they dont play them every nite and youre not exactly sure where theyre gonna be played (although i guess black is usually an encore). wish they would do that with every nite war horses like corduroy, evolution, even flow, etc. if i dont hear do the evolution again for the next 10 years i wont complain.

dissident
glorified g
blood
last exit
not for you
immortaility
smile
red mosquito
brain of j
faithfull
mfc
light years
nothing as it seems
insignificance
grievance
save you
i am mine
life wasted
worldwide suicide
comatose
severed hand
amongst the waves

Comments

• Options
    chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,435
    I am extremely pleased with the sets from Philly and msg. After looking at this list, it kind of shocks me that they didn't play Dissident at any shows. Thats a radio jam that a lot of regular joes would've liked. I wanted Amongst the waves but I guess Ill have to wait until Wrigley shows. Either way, I am very pleased with the sets I saw.
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
    I thought for sure we were going to get Smile at Philly 2.
  • Options
    chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,435

I thought Smile or Faithful at Philly II would be played, but who knows its a crap shoot every time
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,849

I am extremely pleased with the sets from Philly and msg. After looking at this list, it kind of shocks me that they didn't play Dissident at any shows. Thats a radio jam that a lot of regular joes would've liked. I wanted Amongst the waves but I guess Ill have to wait until Wrigley shows. Either way, I am very pleased with the sets I saw.

still have yet to hear that live.

also I would add Of the Girl (still my top white whale song).
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495

still have yet to hear that live.

also I would add Of the Girl (still my top white whale song).
    Haha! I called Of the Girl as the opener for both nights in Philly. Failed miserably both nights!

Haven't heard that one since 2003!

• Options
    SputNickSputNick Posts: 101
    these songs would make a nice setlist. I'd also add Green Disease.
    Binaural > Vs > No Code > Yield = Riot Act > Vitalogy > Pearl Jam > Ten > Lightning Bolt > Backspacer
  • Options
    cheney50mccheney50mc Posts: 217
    Most of those songs have played on this tour (except for NAIS, Insignificance and WWS, maybe a couple of others) It's not like they haven't played these songs recently. I didn't like either of the MSG sets and I'm going to both Toronto shows. I was hoping to hear a lot of the songs on your list. I'm hoping the 2nd show gets bumped by I day so they will have time to rest and hopefully mix it up a lot more. Throw in Hard to Imagine also.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,613
    Save you actually opened up the second encore in philly 1 which i can imagine was fuckin great...but i get your point. They could certainly mix it more for the two night stand shows (philly, nyc)..totally agree with that. But overall, I dont think there is a rock band out there who's not named Wilco that mixes their sets up better than PJ, so kudos to the band for that.

But Phish and WSP etc......No. i keep hearing people trying to compare Phish to PJ when talking setlists. It's not fair. Two completely different styles of music. Phish is a jam band, and has the luxury of plucking a couple chords out, getting the general feel of a song down, and then taking it wherever they feel like it. And that's fucking great. They're damn good at it, though it's not really my thing. Pearl Jam is not an improv band and has to have songs rehearsed somewhat in order to execute them live. They go above and beyond what is expected of most bands, and have a shit load of their catalog ready for every tour. And every tour songs get omitted. That's the way it's always been. 2002-2005 it was Garden, speaking off the top of my head. Every year people will discuss the sets, some positive, some negative. This will never change.

But yes...for the amount of different songs we've seen this tour, I certainly expected a better mix in NYC and Philly, and Im kind of wondering why we didn't. Philly they get a pass cause they played one of their greatest sets ever friday night. But even that couldve been better with a few minor tweaks...no footsteps, love and trust or breath for ten night? Hmmmmm.....
  • Options
    SputNickSputNick Posts: 101
    Binaural and Riot Act songs are largely omitted in the recent tours. Have listened 3 total from both in my last 3 shows. And they are top albums for me.
    It would be interesting if they play just one show without any Ten (or Ten related) songs.
    Binaural > Vs > No Code > Yield = Riot Act > Vitalogy > Pearl Jam > Ten > Lightning Bolt > Backspacer
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,613
    SputNick said:

Binaural and Riot Act songs are largely omitted in the recent tours. Have listened 3 total from both in my last 3 shows. And they are top albums for me.
    It would be interesting if they play just one show without any Ten (or Ten related) songs.

Riot act is the most disrespected album in their catalog. I love every damn song on that album, and most of them are killer live, yet it gets little love. Im not sure if the band hates it or if it's the fans who are at fault. Maybe a bit of both.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,714

Scratched for Throw your hatred. Which was a bad audible IMO
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 885
    Pretty sure Save You was played at Philly 1.
  • Options
    mrpink90mrpink90 Posts: 415
    im also not a fan of the fast openers, 1 of my favorite things about seeing pj live is the slow openers. nothing better than release, long road, oceans, etc to set the mood for the show, then bang LAST EXIT IN YO FACE!!!!
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,389
    Nobody in Philly on April 29 was complaining about repeats.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,797
    They can't play every song and they can't satisfy everyone.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,218
    Lifted said:

SputNick said:

Riot act is the most disrespected album in their catalog. I love every damn song on that album, and most of them are killer live, yet it gets little love. Im not sure if the band hates it or if it's the fans who are at fault. Maybe a bit of both.
    Yes, it is. Took me awhile to get into it, but No Code - Riot Act get the most play when it comes to Pearl Jam music. I love those albums front to back. Just glad I was lucky enough to hear a lot of those live in '03 and '06.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    Save You @ Philly 1 was f'ing unbelievable.

I can't wait for the boot, I've never heard Eddie scream like he did at the end of that song.
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    I think what's funny is years from now folks won't really remember what they played where, but Cheap Trick and Sting at MSG 2 and Ten at Philly will be. These are event type things that simply won't happen again. Yet, somehow a few folks are dissing those shows bc of what the didn't do.

When the MSG boots come out and sound like a junior South America show and hear Ed talk about the stage shaking after 4 or 5 songs into night 1, I think there will be a very different view from the honest part of the peanut gallery.

Comical.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.