Options

How is it considered 'ok' to do the periscope thing at shows?

13»

Comments

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    hedonist said:

RKCNDY said:

I will admit I've been watching the last few shows, some of us get together and watch and chat online about the show,, "oh, they got Chloe/COT...they are so lucky!" then we chat with the people we know that were at the show afterwards, it's kinda cool that we can be at the show with them virtually. No, it's not the same but it's fun.

That it is, big time :)

I've had some lovely dates with friends this week. That being said, the group of us who virtually watched as the rest of our friends were at the shows can tell you that we had to have Periscope back ups because feeds cut off, sound was crappy, the video was generally not so great, you have the singers, the talkers, the swayers and dancers, the guy who took us on a beer run with the threat of a bathroom stop . . .

I understand the concern that is presented. However, rest assured that it wasn't a me-first thing. It wasn't an instant gratification thing. It was us joining together as a group of about 15 or so either at the concert or on periscope witnessing in the ways that we could the band that is PJ. We did that together. We shared the joys with our friends. I agree with RK and Hedo. It wasn't the same as being in the house, but it was how all of us could join together, from Seattle to LA, from Arizona to Asheville to Akron and on to Philly or NYC.

I didn't choose Periscope over going to the show. Going to the show wasn't even an option.

I will not refrain from enjoying the bootleg of the show because I already heard it on Periscope.

I appreciated the ability to view on Periscope and give a shout out to @dlocke for being on our group date for a few evenings. We only broke up with you last night because your feed kept cutting out. :kiss: We also give our love to TheStandingStreamer. :smile:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    deadendp said:

hedonist said:

RKCNDY said:

I will admit I've been watching the last few shows, some of us get together and watch and chat online about the show,, "oh, they got Chloe/COT...they are so lucky!" then we chat with the people we know that were at the show afterwards, it's kinda cool that we can be at the show with them virtually. No, it's not the same but it's fun.

That it is, big time :)

I've had some lovely dates with friends this week. That being said, the group of us who virtually watched as the rest of our friends were at the shows can tell you that we had to have Periscope back ups because feeds cut off, sound was crappy, the video was generally not so great, you have the singers, the talkers, the swayers and dancers, the guy who took us on a beer run with the threat of a bathroom stop . . .

I understand the concern that is presented. However, rest assured that it wasn't a me-first thing. It wasn't an instant gratification thing. It was us joining together as a group of about 15 or so either at the concert or on periscope witnessing in the ways that we could the band that is PJ. We did that together. We shared the joys with our friends. I agree with RK and Hedo. It wasn't the same as being in the house, but it was how all of us could join together, from Seattle to LA, from Arizona to Asheville to Akron and on to Philly or NYC.

I didn't choose Periscope over going to the show. Going to the show wasn't even an option.

I will not refrain from enjoying the bootleg of the show because I already heard it on Periscope.

I appreciated the ability to view on Periscope and give a shout out to @dlocke for being on our group date for a few evenings. We only broke up with you last night because your feed kept cutting out. :kiss: We also give our love to TheStandingStreamer. :smile:
    So agree. I had tickets to both Philly shows and then couldn't go and was crushed. But Periscope was there and yeah, it wasn't at all the same, but it was wonderful to be able to see the show - not always great sound or video, but not totally horrible - and it was wonderful to comment with friends who were there at the show and with friends who were watching along like me.

And I'll be buying the Philly boots as soon as they are available.

Thank you Periscope people - dlocke and almost Jason (except you talked way too much) and the Steamer was great, but where was he last night?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,605
    I couldn't find a decent Periscope feed when it first started getting done, so I immediately gave up, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    You should have asked us, PJ_Soul. We would have shown you the way!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    presenttentspresenttents Posts: 171
    edited May 2016
    Less than a week ago I had no clue what periscope was, I've now (guilty as charged, OP) checked in on philly and msg shows. I did pay to attend Greenville, so perhaps I can feel a little less guilty since I've paid my "dues" to an earlier show.

I agree with previous posters regarding quality of the feeds and it being more of a novelty, similar to following live setlist updates on the boards, rather than get too worked up about copyright infringement and band/venue policy.

I also believe we live in a world where technology enhancements will quickly outpace the policies and controls intended to keep the system "fair". Things change and society, musicians, artists, corporations, consumers, piratereers, lawyers, etc will shape the future of this type of digital access. Who has the loudest voice - is it a band by band, artist by artist decision?
    Post edited by presenttents on
    4/18/03, 10/6/04, 9/11/05, 6/24/06, 6/16/08, ?
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    I am bringing an actual periscope to the Quebec show
  • Options
    malphurs72malphurs72 NC Piedmont Posts: 56
    ^ ha! That would be awesome
    98 Raleigh 03 Raleigh 06 Camden1 13 Baltimore 16 Greenville 16 Raleigh 16 Wrigley1 16 Wrigley2 18 Missoula 18 Wrigley1
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    edited May 2016
    I've had fun following the setlist thread and the periscope feed along with a glass of wine. Mostly listening to the show, not watching, as the picture is usually pretty bad. The experience is fun, and makes those of us who cannot attend shows feel part of the experience, in a small way. But it is in NO way the same as actually being there. And following the periscope feed has definitely made me want to go to shows more. Kind of like inadvertent marketing for shows. Honestly, I don't see the connection to stealing.
    Post edited by giventofly69 on
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836

I've had fun following the setlist thread and the periscope feed along with a glass of wine. Mostly listening to the show, not watching, as the picture is usually pretty bad. The experience is fun, and makes those of us who cannot attend shows feel part of the experience, in a small way. But it is in NO way the same as actually being there. And following the periscope feed has definitely made me want to go to show more. Kind of like inadvertent marketing for shows. Honestly, I don't see the connection to stealing.

At this, it really isnt. But again, the average music fan, if able to watch an HD feed at home live when the technology is there, instead of paying the money to go, is really no different than staying home for a sporting event rather than going. Again, i am saying the average music fan. Not middle aged fan club members. Lol.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    iamrockmusiciamrockmusic Orlando, FL Posts: 443

everyone ripping the OP needs to calm down. I somewhat agree with the premise of his post. imagine what will happen in 5 years when you can periscope in HD video and audio quality. you will see a very different tone to these responses. and also from the mods. you didn't pay to see the show, so you shouldn't see the show. that makes sense in a black and white world. as others have said, however, as of right now, the feeds are pretty terrible most of the time, so it's not like you are going to have people staying home to watch on periscope instead of going to the show.

YET.

remember when downloading off the net was low quality? no one made a big fuss over it until that quality got close or the same as the actual product and people stopped PAYING. it's coming. you know it is.

This person understood where I was coming from. Good discussion, even if most of you posting seem to disagree with me. That's ok. Others focused on other aspects of my post and correcting me, which is fine too. The concept of what I was saying remains the same. I'm ok with just seeing the shows I'm at - and if I want to hear what another show was like, I will pay the band for that privilege when they release it for consumption. Sorry, I still think it's stealing and the reasons for doing so are mostly about entitlement. Just my opinion. Thanks and see you all in Chicago! I am taller than most people but promise you won't have your view blocked by me holding up my phone to take pictures, videos or Periscope. I think HughFreakingDillon makes a good point - let's revisit this in another couple of years and see where things are. Could be interesting.
    Mesa 11/7/93 - Charlotte 10/4/96 - DC 6/14/98 - Raleigh 8/31/98 - Knoxville 9/6/98 - Columbia MD 9/18/98 - DC 9/19/98 - Columbia MD 9/4/00 - Phoenix 10/21/00 - Raleigh 4/15/03 - Phoenix 6/7/03 - Philadelphia 5/27&28/06 - DC 5/30/06 - Las Vegas 7/6/06 - San Diego 7/7/06 - LA 7/9&10/06 - Gorge 7/22&23/06 - Chicago 8/5/07 - PJ20 9/3&4/11 - Jacksonville 11/24/12 (EV) - Orlando 11/27/12 (EV) - Brooklyn 10/18&19/13 - Charlotte 10/30/13 - Memphis 10/14/14 - Ft Lauderdale 4/8/16 - Miami 4/9/16 - Jacksonville 4/13/16 - Hampton 4/18/16 - Chicago 8/20&22/16
  • Options
    iamrockmusiciamrockmusic Orlando, FL Posts: 443

Steve Kroft of 60 Minutes: "How have audiences changed since you first performed The Wall 35 years ago?"

Roger Waters: "I'll tell you how they've changed: THEY ALL HAVE FUCKING CELL-PHONES! 'Oh! I love this song! I love it so much that I have to send it to PEDRO!'"

There you go...
    Mesa 11/7/93 - Charlotte 10/4/96 - DC 6/14/98 - Raleigh 8/31/98 - Knoxville 9/6/98 - Columbia MD 9/18/98 - DC 9/19/98 - Columbia MD 9/4/00 - Phoenix 10/21/00 - Raleigh 4/15/03 - Phoenix 6/7/03 - Philadelphia 5/27&28/06 - DC 5/30/06 - Las Vegas 7/6/06 - San Diego 7/7/06 - LA 7/9&10/06 - Gorge 7/22&23/06 - Chicago 8/5/07 - PJ20 9/3&4/11 - Jacksonville 11/24/12 (EV) - Orlando 11/27/12 (EV) - Brooklyn 10/18&19/13 - Charlotte 10/30/13 - Memphis 10/14/14 - Ft Lauderdale 4/8/16 - Miami 4/9/16 - Jacksonville 4/13/16 - Hampton 4/18/16 - Chicago 8/20&22/16
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Again, i am saying the average music fan. Not middle aged fan club members. Lol.

I am way more than the former.

Definitely the latter :angry:

=)

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

everyone ripping the OP needs to calm down. I somewhat agree with the premise of his post. imagine what will happen in 5 years when you can periscope in HD video and audio quality. you will see a very different tone to these responses. and also from the mods. you didn't pay to see the show, so you shouldn't see the show. that makes sense in a black and white world. as others have said, however, as of right now, the feeds are pretty terrible most of the time, so it's not like you are going to have people staying home to watch on periscope instead of going to the show.

YET.

remember when downloading off the net was low quality? no one made a big fuss over it until that quality got close or the same as the actual product and people stopped PAYING. it's coming. you know it is.

Kind of to my point earlier. The band isn't losing any money from people periscoping. Even when it goes to HD. Plus, how can it be stopped when by the time it can be done in HD, the device will be the size of a thumb drive.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    laa1025laa1025 Posts: 128
    I scoped a little bit of one concert. I turned my brightness all the way down and I was able to hold the phone down in front of my chest. I tried to be super considerate of those around me and also share with the others at home. I've enjoyed watching from home. I'd gladly pay for a streaming service. Watching these shows via Periscope only makes me love the band even more and makes me want to go to more shows in person, buy more boots, etc.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836

YET.

Kind of to my point earlier. The band isn't losing any money from people periscoping. Even when it goes to HD. Plus, how can it be stopped when by the time it can be done in HD, the device will be the size of a thumb drive.
    yeah, you are probably right. or it might be a fucking contact lens. who knows.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668

YET.

It's crazy but you are almost certainly correct that it will be. Google glass can already record video so I wouldnt be shocked at all if some kind of lens that is connected via bluetooth to a device in your pocket is on the way!
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited May 2016
    Video, especially handheld cell phone concert video, is WAY over-rated.
    Combine that with super shitty audio, and my response is why bother?
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    ckravitz said:

YET.

It's crazy but you are almost certainly correct that it will be. Google glass can already record video so I wouldnt be shocked at all if some kind of lens that is connected via bluetooth to a device in your pocket is on the way!
    http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/03/sony-applies-for-patent-on-contact-lens-camera-that-shoots-photos-in-a-blink.html
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,605
    ckravitz said:

YET.

You can already buy stuff like that. Invisible cameras that record. It's basically spy equipment and easy to get.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    First...obviously the quality is good enough that people are using Periscope and watching it, so that whole excuse that the quality isn't good enough doesn't work.

It is up to the band to try to shut it down and they haven't said a word on the message board or deleted Periscope links in the concert threads so for now it appears the band does not have a problem with it.

I do get where the OP is coming from though with people thinking it is okay to broadcast PJ shows on the web without asking for or receiving any permission.
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639

First...obviously the quality is good enough that people are using Periscope and watching it, so that whole excuse that the quality isn't good enough doesn't work.

It is up to the band to try to shut it down and they haven't said a word on the message board or deleted Periscope links in the concert threads so for now it appears the band does not have a problem with it.

I do get where the OP is coming from though with people thinking it is okay to broadcast PJ shows on the web without asking for or receiving any permission.

as long as the band sells the shows out and doesn't see some significant drop in revenue from bootleg sales, not sure the band will ever care, all shit like that and youtube videos do is further promote the band and create greater ticket demand.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    RKCNDY said:

ckravitz said:

YET.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/03/sony-applies-for-patent-on-contact-lens-camera-that-shoots-photos-in-a-blink.html
    PJ_Soul said:

ckravitz said:

YET.

You can already buy stuff like that. Invisible cameras that record. It's basically spy equipment and easy to get.
    I'm torn between "that's so awesome" and "creepy". Haha.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

as long as the band sells the shows out and doesn't see some significant drop in revenue from bootleg sales, not sure the band will ever care, all shit like that and youtube videos do is further promote the band and create greater ticket demand.
    100% this. PJ isn't shy about cease and desists or deleting posts. If this were revenue impacting, they'd be actively shutting things down. Periscope is in no way negatively impacting the band's revenue stream. The shows are already sold out, and nobody in their right mind is deciding between attending the show, or just catching it on Periscope.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jdesantis1983jdesantis1983 Posts: 411

I've been trying to figure out why someone that is actually AT the show would want to hold their phone for 3+ hours just to periscope the show for all us folks not in attendance.

Put the phone down and enjoy the show!

My thoughts also...it seems like a waste of money on tickets to gratify those who didn't buy tickets.
    "I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love."

Continental Arena I - 6/1/2006
    MSG II - 6/25/2008
    MSG I - 5/20/2010
    Beacon Theatre - 6/21/2011 (EV)
    Made In America Philadelphia - 9/2/2012
    Buffalo -10/12/2013
    Hartford - 10/25/2013
    Philadelphia II - 4/29/2016 (TEN show)
    MSG II - 5/2/2016
    Fenway II Boston - 8/7/2016
    Rock & Roll HOF - 4/7/2017
    Asbury Park, NJ - 9/18/2021
    MSG - 9/11/2022
    Camden - 9/14/2022
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    PJ should really dive into the paid streaming option. Would pay for the quality.

I have no problem with the Periscope thing as long as the band or mgt stays silent on it (or someday says they are cool with it). Also, people filming should do the 'chest hold' and not block anyone's view.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

I've been trying to figure out why someone that is actually AT the show would want to hold their phone for 3+ hours just to periscope the show for all us folks not in attendance.

Put the phone down and enjoy the show!

My thoughts also...it seems like a waste of money on tickets to gratify those who didn't buy tickets.
    It's all for the 'likes' on Periscope.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    anyone that wants to listen to Greenville which starts at 6:00pm EST/3:00pm PST, get your 30 day free internet trial, obviously there will be many chance to listen to the boots in the next 30 days, to decide which ones to buy
    https://www.siriusxm.com/SXM30DayOnlineTrial
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    jeffbr said:

100% this. PJ isn't shy about cease and desists or deleting posts. If this were revenue impacting, they'd be actively shutting things down. Periscope is in no way negatively impacting the band's revenue stream. The shows are already sold out, and nobody in their right mind is deciding between attending the show, or just catching it on Periscope.
    I agree it isn't hurting the band financially, but that doesn't mean we have the right to broadcast their shows. I don't think it will hurt you financially if I shit on your lawn, but that doesn't mean I have a right to do that. For now though the band is aware of it and is not stopping it so it seems okay to Periscope (or they just realize it is a lost cause at this point which I think is probably more the case).
  • Options
    AngryGregAngryGreg Posts: 70
    I am guessing Periscope is a phone thing. I know nothing about it, but love sharing my uninformed opinion. I don't know how it is considered ok for someone to hold up their phone for an entire show. I'd love a show where phones stay in pockets.

Also, get off my lawn.