Options

A possible reason behind why there are no bootlegs

MineMine Posts: 556
edited June 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
I've noticed that on amazon.com it says Rhino/Wea under label on the George page and it did ring a bell. Some people who purchased the travel packaged said there were some kind of legal issues involved.

Now some of you may know that The Doors wanted to follow Pearl Jam in making their live and rare catalouge avialable for download in lossles format on their site. Now this did not happen yet. According to their manager, who interacts regulary with the fans on their site, Warner music, who Rhino is part of, is fighting Digital rights free downloads.

I obviousely have no idea with who and what have the band signed up, all i know is that the labels usualy own part of the rights of live reccordings made under contract so that might be it, if they are under warner now.
I knew who I was before other people started telling me who I was. J.Joplin
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    kristmacekristmace Posts: 212
    Hmm, not sure about this because they've only started downloads in the last 2 years - and this issue would have affected last years boots.

Also their record deal doesn't seem to be a typical one. The last album was copyrighted "Monkeywrench", and under licence to J records - so the band still retain all the rights to the music.

Just a thought.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Astoria; Dublin; Leeds
    2007: Wembley; Nijmegen
    2008: New York I & II
    2009: Shepherds Bush; Manchester; London
    2010: Hyde Park
    2012: Manchester I & II; EV London I & II
    2014: Stockholm; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2017: EV Dublin
    2018: London II
    2019: EV London

• Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    I think they are trying to teach us a lesson. So many people moaned about the digital bootlegs. The band often get hear to what goes on, on this board so I think word got back to them. Just my twopence :)
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    The band often get hear to what goes on, on this board so I think word got back to them. Just my twopence :)
    You little shit-stirrer! :D
  • Options
    parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    Mine wrote:
    I've noticed that on amazon.com it says Rhino/Wea under label on the George page and it did ring a bell. Some people who purchased the travel packaged said there were some kind of legal issues involved.

Now some of you may know that The Doors wanted to follow Pearl Jam in making their live and rare catalouge avialable for download in lossles format on their site. Now this did not happen yet. According to their manager, who interacts regulary with the fans on their site, Warner music, who Rhino is part of, is fighting Digital rights free downloads.

I obviousely have no idea with who and what have the band signed up, all i know is that the labels usualy own part of the rights of live reccordings made under contract so that might be it, if they are under warner now.

I think PJ will release a 24-cd and 12-DVD box of the European Tour, similar to the Gorge :)
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    You little shit-stirrer! :D

:eek: ;) But it's true!! :D

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    There was so much whining going on though, remember all those threads like,

"Petition to remix Athens"
    "Marseille has too much bass"
    "Re-release this one with the preset"
    "The audience are too loud"
    "No more soundboard boots"
    "We want CDs"
    "Artwork sucks"

We were blessed with decent recordings of concerts, and half the people on here were complaining about them. Surprised?
  • Options

"We want CDs"
    "Artwork sucks"

We were blessed with decent recordings of concerts, and half the people on here were complaining about them. Surprised?

Precisly. :)

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

"We want CDs"
    "Artwork sucks"

if it was my band thats what i would have done... too many fuckers whining about shitty things.

some of them even requesting boots on vinyl... stoopit eejits

mp3's of every show with downloadable artwork was fine... compared to what we have now it was gold toblerone encrusted with diamonds... that means it was good!!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    blue_rainblue_rain London Posts: 163

"We want CDs"
    "Artwork sucks"

In this digital age we're all absolutely spoiled to death. We want everything NOW. I collected boots on tape for years and would even make do with a recording of MTV unplugged that I'd taped with a mic next to my TV.

There will be something, somehow.. and it'll be worth the wait. Of that, I'm sure.
    "Is my band ready to kick it?" Stone Gossard

28/Oct/96, 29/May/00, 04/Jun/00, 28/Jun/00, 30/Jun/00, 02/Jul/03, 03/Jul/03, 05/Jul/03, 08/Jul/03, 09/Jul/03, 20/Apr/06, 27/Aug/06, 09/Sep/06, 13/Sep/06, 12/Jun/07, 13/Jun/07, 18/Jun/07, 26/Jun/07, 28/Jun/07, 02/Apr/08 (Ed), 03/Apr/08 (Ed), 11/Aug09, 13/Aug/09, 17/Aug/09, 18/Aug/09, 25/Jun/10
  • Options
    blue_rain wrote:
    In this digital age we're all absolutely spoiled to death. We want everything NOW. I collected boots on tape for years and would even make do with a recording of MTV unplugged that I'd taped with a mic next to my TV.

There will be something, somehow.. and it'll be worth the wait. Of that, I'm sure.
    Amen brother. PJ doesn't let us down. We shold know by now that they are going to do something fantasic, that we'll all (most of us) will love! Peace, J
    Ignore your rights and they'll go away!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to have fun." Benjamin Franklin

www.AllAmericanBiofuels.com
    Biodiesel: No War Required!
  • Options
    All this is true, we are spoilt. :) Since there seems to be a legal issue this year, what i wrote came to my mind. No label will ever be happy that the band let's us downlod bootlegs right here on the official forum of material that was on sale less than a year ago and still is if you count the recent boxset. We'll see.
  • Options
    collymcdcollymcd Posts: 39
    At Dusseldorf eddie said something about the show being killer and the crowd being incredible, quickly followed by "..if you don't believe me, just wait 'till you hear the boot!" There's boots coming soon
  • Options
    blue_rainblue_rain London Posts: 163
    collymcd wrote:
    At Dusseldorf eddie said something about the show being killer and the crowd being incredible, quickly followed by "..if you don't believe me, just wait 'till you hear the boot!" There's boots coming soon

:)
    "Is my band ready to kick it?" Stone Gossard

28/Oct/96, 29/May/00, 04/Jun/00, 28/Jun/00, 30/Jun/00, 02/Jul/03, 03/Jul/03, 05/Jul/03, 08/Jul/03, 09/Jul/03, 20/Apr/06, 27/Aug/06, 09/Sep/06, 13/Sep/06, 12/Jun/07, 13/Jun/07, 18/Jun/07, 26/Jun/07, 28/Jun/07, 02/Apr/08 (Ed), 03/Apr/08 (Ed), 11/Aug09, 13/Aug/09, 17/Aug/09, 18/Aug/09, 25/Jun/10
  • Options
    parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    collymcd wrote:
    I really hope so...
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Options
    Don't be surprised for a nice Fall release of some boots (just in time for the holiday season). At least I hope so.
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Options
    I think it's about time for another DVD movie like touring band 2000 - maybe with audio cds to go with it!
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    Depressing truth... most good things don't get truly appreciated 'til they're gone :)
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    I think they are trying to teach us a lesson. So many people moaned about the digital bootlegs. The band often get hear to what goes on, on this board so I think word got back to them. Just my twopence :)

I highly doubt the band are teaching us a "lesson" that would cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars in money.
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,350

"We want CDs"
    "Artwork sucks"

thank you!!!
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    I think it's about time for another DVD movie like touring band 2000 - maybe with audio cds to go with it!

no cameras at the gigs tho :(
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    I've seen one in Munich, was taping the band and the crowd and Ed doing something funny with his cigarette.
  • Options
    wpost211wpost211 Posts: 124
    The idea that they are punishing fans who complain on the boards is ridiculous. It's a business that does well, so it will continue. Just the format and presentation might change. Soon enough they'll release Europe 2007. Hang in there.
    "there's a lot to be said for nowhere...."

1996 - Randall's Island II 1998 - MSG I
    2000 - Jones Beach II & III 2003 - Uniondale, MSG I & II
    2006 - E. Ruth I & II 2007 - Lollapalooza
    2008 - MSG I & II, Hartford 2009 - Philly IV
    2010 - Newark, MSG I & II
  • Options
    DercheefDercheef Germany Posts: 732
    Not only that it would be a weak business decision, I can't see PJ teaching their fans a lesson and punishing them because some people weren't grateful enough. They just aren't that type of bitter people that would do such a thing.
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Options
    FoGFoG Posts: 34
    wpost211 wrote:
    The idea that they are punishing fans who complain on the boards is ridiculous. It's a business that does well, so it will continue. Just the format and presentation might change. Soon enough they'll release Europe 2007. Hang in there.

Quiet you! We're trying to make the whiny bitches go away!
    Of course I value your opinion. It's what makes you wrong and me right.
  • Options
    CornishManCornishMan Cornwall, UK Posts: 442

Yes that would be cool, particularly since the rumours of the Italia '06 DVD have disappeared!!
    London #1 2000, Reading 2006, London 2007, London 2009, London 2010, Manchester #1 2012, Manchester #2 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Milton Keynes 2014, London #2 2017 (EV), London #1 2018, London #2 2018, London #1 2022, London #2 2022.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    no cameras at the gigs tho :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpX3i9HYFxw

This gives hope to a dvd for london though
  • Options
    CornishMan wrote:
    Yes that would be cool, particularly since the rumours of the Italia '06 DVD have disappeared!!

go to http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/3385592/-/Product.html?searchstring=pearl+jam+italy&searchsource=0 and PJ in Italy: Picture in a Frame is listed for pre-sale in Sept :cool:
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpX3i9HYFxw

This gives hope to a dvd for london though

I LOVE these versions of Long Road, where they just keep building through the song, it becomes so powerful!
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    CornishManCornishMan Cornwall, UK Posts: 442
    dunkman wrote:
    go to http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/3385592/-/Product.html?searchstring=pearl+jam+italy&searchsource=0 and PJ in Italy: Picture in a Frame is listed for pre-sale in Sept :cool:

Oh cool! Great find, man! There is hope after all! Although it is listed as a CD, not DVD. Hmm... interesting. Surely it as to be DVD since they just released the Gorge on CD. Also found this due for release in September, which is listed as DVD:
    http://www.play.com/Music/MusicDVD/4-/3386588/Pearl-Jam-An-American-Tour-2000/Product.html
    London #1 2000, Reading 2006, London 2007, London 2009, London 2010, Manchester #1 2012, Manchester #2 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Milton Keynes 2014, London #2 2017 (EV), London #1 2018, London #2 2018, London #1 2022, London #2 2022.
  • Options
    InJuddsTreeInJuddsTree Posts: 377
    It's pretty obvious to see what will most likely happen.

Since they've introduced the "immediate bootleg" concept - where you can get the bootleg, either in hard copy or as a download, as early as 2 days after a show - the people who have had to record, mix, edit and master the shows have been working fucking hard. After every show they would work tirelessly to get the shows available for us.

While generally very good, some of the bootlegs were affected by poor sound, a poor venue mix, or weird crowd noise. As a result of the need to have the bootlegs available immediately, these sorts of affects were unable to be edited out or mixed out of the recording (which happens with other live albums, eg. Live On Two Legs).

They will release the Europe shows eventually, but I think they want to mix them back in the States over a period of time where they can do it properly.
    Brisbane 8/2/03 -- Adelaide 16/2/03 -- Melbourne 18/2/03 -- Brisbane 10/11/06 -- Brisbane 11/11/06 -- Melbourne 13/11/06 -- Melbourne 14/11/06 -- Adelaide 21/11/06 -- Adelaide 22/11/06 -- Perth 25/11/06

lifewasted.net