Options

Huge Line At The Vic

Comments

• Options
    yeah, i dont get this. i recall they said they start giving out wristbands at 4, doors at 7, but i also coulda sworn they said once you have your wristband you have to go right in to avoid scalping?

I never heard that. I thought you could get your wristband and then like go to the bar and stuff until the doors open at 7? That's what I was going to do. I mean if the Doors open at 7, how would people who get their wristbands at 4 be allowed in?
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    just saw the line.... dude working said he never saw anything like this... also its like 100 degrees here today. The small part of my brain that thinks about things other than pj is almost glad im not going...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    I think they may actually put the wristbands on you. That's probably why they said that the 10C member who bought the tickets AND their guest needed to be together to get the wristbands.

That's what they did for Tom Waits. We were told before that once we got the wristbands we had to go directly in the venue, but the night of the show they put the wristbands on us and we were able leave and have a few drinks across the street.
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    Are they telling people without tickets to leave? I was going to be heading down there soon, but not if I'm told to stay off the property!
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    how do these ppl eat and drink while in line for 12 hours...i'd be a dick if i was waiting on line too and these ppl were having ppl hold their place so they could go eat, etc.
    i'd only allow ppl to bring them food

Really? You only allow that, huh? Good to be King? *roll eyes*

Kind of a jerky, selfish attitude, IMO.
    Boston Garden 5/25/06
    Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Madison Square Garden 6/24/08 and 6/25/08
    Mansfield 6/30/08
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The answers are fatal......
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    I never heard that. I thought you could get your wristband and then like go to the bar and stuff until the doors open at 7? That's what I was going to do. I mean if the Doors open at 7, how would people who get their wristbands at 4 be allowed in?

those wristbands are pretty hard to rip off your arm, you would habe to cut it and and then stick it back on , that sticky thing they use doesnt really stick very well after you take it off... Im assuming you get it on and you must keep it on, I think their attempt to avoid scalping won't be perfect (there can never be 0% scalping) but its a pretty good attempt to at least try and decrease it... if I was someone buying a wristband from a scalper and the wristband was cut or damaged I would think about it twice before dishing my money and take the chance of them saying sorry this wristband has been removed. that's my best guess.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,161
    how do these ppl eat and drink while in line for 12 hours...i'd be a dick if i was waiting on line too and these ppl were having ppl hold their place so they could go eat, etc.
    i'd only allow ppl to bring them food

And I guess you would be the ultimate authority in such situations. I guess you don't have to wait to be a dick. There are benefits to mob rule -- like dealing with gorillas like you.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    brainofjbbrainofjb Boston Posts: 381
    Gmoney wrote:
    just saw the line.... dude working said he never saw anything like this... also its like 100 degrees here today. The small part of my brain that thinks about things other than pj is almost glad im not going...

im trying to get to that small part of my brain as well
    that way im not too sad tonight

i would be there if i wasnt pregnant
    imagine that heat OMG!
    There's the moon asking to stay
    Long enough for the clouds to fly me away
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    I'll be jealous of them at 10pm Central Time, but right now I just hope people stay healthy, you know. I applaud their tenacity, but geeeez.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    those wristbands are pretty hard to rip off your arm, you would habe to cut it and and then stick it back on , that sticky thing they use doesnt really stick very well after you take it off... Im assuming you get it on and you must keep it on, I think their attempt to avoid scalping won't be perfect (there can never be 0% scalping) but its a pretty good attempt to at least try and decrease it... if I was someone buying a wristband from a scalper and the wristband was cut or damaged I would think about it twice before dishing my money and take the chance of them saying sorry this wristband has been removed. that's my best guess.

I've dealt with a ticket situation like this before were they were using wristbands and I got sold a fake! I'd like to strongly encourage people to be suspicious of fakes showing up. If it's a wristband supplied by Pearl Jam staff then you should be pretty safe, but if they start using wristbands from the Vic, be cautious!!!! Given the high profile of the tickets and all the commotion on Craigslist, etc. I wouldn't be suprised if there are people trying to make fakes of the Vic wristbands.

Here's my story about how I got screwed on a fake wristband for a Beastie Boys concert in Vegas:

So in 2004 I'm in Vegas for vacation. One of the nights, I'm walking around Mandalay with my cousin, and I stopped and said, I swear to God, that's one of the Beastie Boys!!! I wasn't sure, and I didn't wanna be a dick and bug him so we kept walking. Sure enough, IT WAS MIKE D, because Beastie Boys were supposed to play a "$2 Concert" the next day I found out afterward. So I go down there hoping to buy a ticket off of a scapler. I figured if I paid up to $50 it would be like getting a "normal ticket" right?

Turns out people were showing up at 9 PM the NIGHT BEFORE, and things escalated into a MINI-RIOT including tons of cops, beer bottles being thrown, etc. They tried dispersing people 3 times, and finally at 8 AM they told everyone that they would be given a wristband. If they came back at 2 hrs. before showtime, they'd exchange their wristband for a ticket.

So when I got there, people were hawking wristbands. I wait around for over a half hour, figure out who's selling, and what they're asking. I finally picked a guy, put the unused wristband on (should have tipped me off right there, but you COULD take an unused one with you for a friend), and go stand in line. After over a half hour in line, the security people come over, tell me my wristband is fake, and kick me out of line!!! Turns out if it DIDN'T have any numbers printed on the white part where it sticks together, it was real. This thing was a dead ringer for it, minus the number part.

I bitched at the security people and said "How the fuck am I supposed to know it was fake? I just wanted a ticket!" They told me to try and find the guy. Yeah, good luck with that. He left a half hour ago asshats! So I waited until show start pleading with them, and never got in.

Fastforward 2 days, and now I'm at the very front of the line for Velvet Revolver. These tickets were REAL and I bought 'em from a broker before the whole Beastie Boys fiasco. Here's where it gets interesting....

Guess who walks in? The fat little bald mid-30's asshole that sold me the fake!!! I kept debating whether or not to confront him, and it started to look like he was gonna leave. So I explained the situation to the people in line, and asked if they would hold my spot. They said aboslutely, and I walked up to him. Just to make sure it was him, I asked if he sold the other wristbands. He said yeah he did. Well then I said. "Well you sold me a FAKE, and I want my money back. They didn't let me in the show." He starts to back peddle, and denies it. Then he started RUNNING through the crowd to the exit. I stopped a security guard for the Hard Rock Hotel (concert venue) and asked him to help me stop him after I explained what hapened.

We got to the door, and the douche bag was off and running. I said fuck this, and took chase. He across the BIG lot, and got to the street, then crossed between traffic and into a Motel 8. I figured by the time I crossed he had gone down the hallway, ran out a side enterance, and was long gone.

Guess what? The hallway needs a key card! So I explained the situation to the desk clerk, and described what the guy looked like. He said he wasn't paying attention to everyone entering, but some guy is in the bathroom. So I waited, and guess who comes out in about 5 minutes? THE DOUCHEBAG!!!! I told him, "Now the cops are coming asshole, where's my fucking money?" He kept trying to push his way out, and I shoved him back in, even when people were coming through the door from the outside LOL. He was arguing that he's never seen me before, blah, blah, blah, to the clerk. All I said was "C'mon, would I be this neurotic if I had a shred of doubt in my mind that this was the guy?" So we're arguing for about another 15 min. and finally I said "Look, you give me half my fucking money and I'll let you go. Or, you can wait for the cops to handle this cuz they're on the way!" He gave up and gave me $25 bucks, and we both left before the cops came.

Vindication mother fuckers!!! What I did was probably pretty dangerous and stupid, but it was a fat, short, balding mid-30's white guy! LOL Only thing I was worried about was a knife. I would've STOMPED HIM if it came to that. If nothing else, it was worth a great story, and a big win on matter of principle!
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208

that's what i wondered. apparently i had heard wrong.
  • Options
    Any new word on them shooing away ticket beggars? I'm heading down there in about an hour myself.
  • Options
    cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    me too, I wonder what time the 1st person rolled up to the door?
    In line? Apparently last nite, or actually midday, as I recall :)
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,251
    Exactly, if the wristband has been tampered with you won't get in. The staff (probably Tim and Boom) will put your wristband on, it will be tight so it can't be slipped off and you will be free to leave and return, though I assume most will immediately re-line up for entry and wait the other 3 hours on site.
    Its not 100% foolproof, when I saw the Stones at the Orpheum they did wristbands in the afternoon and return to enter later (not GA so nobody waited in line) and I witnessed a few clever scalpers doing surgery on wristbands to remove, sell and reapply to their customers. But it requires serious precision to go undetected.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849

i may have started that rumor ;)
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    the Irving Plaza line was quite interesting. They gave out wristbands too. The wristbands worked pretty well too. They were provided by the record label I believe and employees of the record label came and put them on every one of us. That was some show, 600 people I think... but the problem there was all the asshats in line were scalping the shits away. Tonight will be special indeed all 10c members in a small venue... very very awesome. I didnt bother trying for tix b/c i just got a new job and couldnt get the time off in time.
  • Options
    stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    yea I do remember that..I even remember the homeless guys and the thugs waiting on line at Tower for like 3 days...fuckers :mad:

Irving was the shit tho n tonite will be too. ;)
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • Options
    Kind of mad that I wont be there. I live in Chicago so that sucks even more seeing how many people are coming from out of town to see the show. But those people are crazy waiting in line right now for their wrist band. If I was going, show up around 6 so by the time you get your wrist band the doors open. The Vic holds about 1400 so every seat is close!

I am kind of thinking about going later towards 8 when it starts and stand outside and hopefully hear the show....but it's so HOT!
    Chicago, United Center, 6-18-03
    Chicago, United Center, 5-17-06
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Poncier wrote:
    Exactly, if the wristband has been tampered with you won't get in. The staff (probably Tim and Boom) will put your wristband on, it will be tight so it can't be slipped off and you will be free to leave and return, though I assume most will immediately re-line up for entry and wait the other 3 hours on site.
    Its not 100% foolproof, when I saw the Stones at the Orpheum they did wristbands in the afternoon and return to enter later (not GA so nobody waited in line) and I witnessed a few clever scalpers doing surgery on wristbands to remove, sell and reapply to their customers. But it requires serious precision to go undetected.

He is a master wristband remover, I'm sure.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    Kind of mad that I wont be there. I live in Chicago so that sucks even more seeing how many people are coming from out of town to see the show. But those people are crazy waiting in line right now for their wrist band. If I was going, show up around 6 so by the time you get your wrist band the doors open. The Vic holds about 1400 so every seat is close!

I am kind of thinking about going later towards 8 when it starts and stand outside and hopefully hear the show....but it's so HOT!
    dont be mad..I witnessed the same shit when I pulled up to Tower a day b4 the midnite sale...I was like #250 and the 250 in front of me? Id say only about half were from NY...Pittsburgh, washington, Virginia, Boston, etc.... we're pretty diehard i think :D
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208

that's my plan. it's way too fucking hot to be standing out there for hours. though now that i hear you're mad about not going, im suspicious this a trick so you can somehow try to filch my wristband ;)
  • Options
    So I just went by the VIC again and the crowd looked pretty small......no more than this morning really.....The alley between the VIC and the building next to it was packed with gear and security....no fans anywhere near it, I would say the boys are bout to make the entrance for some soundchecking, considering on another thread it mentioned Ed just left the cubs game.....Id say the guys are in the vicinity!
  • Options
    let the show begin......
  • Options
    j-birdj-bird Posts: 40
    What's the chance we can still get in tonite?

j-bird
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,251
    He is a master wristband remover, I'm sure.
    He's a master something... :D
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    leedog0leedog0 Posts: 152
    sorry is this has been said, but what time is the show actually starting?
    8/26/98 - 9/2/00 - 4/28/03 - 7/5/03 - 7/6/03 - 10/3/05 - 5/22/06 - 5/27/06 - 5/28/06 - 6/1/06 - 6/3/06 - 6/24/06 - 7/7/06 - 7/9/06 - 7/10/06 - 8/5/07 - 6/19/08 - 6/20/08 - 6/22/08 - 6/24/08 - 6/25/08 - 8/21/09 - 8/23/09 - 8/24/09 - 10/27/09 - 10/28/09 - 10/30/09 - 10/31/09 - 5/6/10 - 5/7/10 - 5/9/10 - 5/20/10 - 5/21/10 - 9/3/11 - 9/4/11 - 9/2/12 - 7/19/13 - 10/11/13 - 10/18/13 - 10/19/13 - 10/21/13 - 10/22/13 - 4/28/16 - 4/29/16 - 8/20/18 - 4/7/18
    Ed Ved Solo:
    4-10-08 / 4-12-08 / 4-13-08 / 8-16-08 / 6-11-09 / 6-12-09 / 6-14-09 / 6-25-11
    It Makes Much More Sense.........To Live in the Present Tense.
  • Options
    leedog0 wrote:
    8 PM local time. so in 3 hrs or so.
  • Options
    knittedknitted Posts: 244
    this is just insane hype.

i know it's pearl jam and they're the greatest band on the planet and it's their only real show in the states this year, but heck, it's just gonna be a show, it's not even like it's gonna be special - eg, unplugged, like benaroya - okay so the venue is small, yes... but it's still insane.

pearl jam fans are just NUTS. what must people think? :)
    http://www.sublime-retro.net

when my ears ring, my heart beats
  • Options
    knitted wrote:
    this is just insane hype.

i know it's pearl jam and they're the greatest band on the planet and it's their only real show in the states this year, but heck, it's just gonna be a show, it's not even like it's gonna be special - eg, unplugged, like benaroya - okay so the venue is small, yes... but it's still insane.

pearl jam fans are just NUTS. what must people think? :)
    Yeah, yeah, keep telling that to yourself. :D
    I also wish I was there...but Im happy, cause lots of my friends are already there and in for an awesome
    evening with Pearl Jam. happy for them, and I will hear many stories...just like I was there , hehe :D
    This show is gonna be amazing :)
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    leedog0 wrote:

I think they said that doord opened 7pm (8pm our time) and the show you should be starting at 8pm?? (9pm EST)

What did I think I read it was starting at 10pm CST...

Gee I guess I didnt really help you answer the question huh ? :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV