Memories of shows before cell phones

First I would like to say this is a discussion not a argument ... My first PJ show was in 93 and it was my last until Columbia SC... Not due for a change of the love of the band... Just life... I remember the energy in 93 was out of this world! Couldn't sleep that night after watching Ed swing from rafters and some how was able to vocalize all of my 15 year old emotions... That being said I knew the band had changed as I in the almost 25 years.. The Columbia show was amazing I was 2 people behind the rail... The only change that really gave me a let down was... Watching at least 80% of the show through someone cell phone screen... We all want a memory (I am guilty myself of taking a few photos) but I have to say the ones burned into my brain are the best ones... Not the ones I can pull up on my phone... Maybe it's I turned 40 this year so going through some sort of deep mental change lol
But the memories I have of been a teenager sneaking into punk shows and fighting my way to the front are the best things in the world... I challenge people to leave your phone in your pocket and close your eyes at some point during the show and burn that memory into your brain... Because I promise you it will last a hell of a lot longer than your next phone upgrade.... At final of my rambling- I would like to thank PJ for making me question the things I was being taught at 14-15 and to go learn and experience things for myself .... Create my own ideals and stick to them... Thanks for the memories!
Xmas75
Tagged:

Comments

• WashedWashed Posts: 736
    Same here - 2 guys in front of me held their phones up and recorded the whole Columbia show. I was able to maneuver and see but I don't get the desire to tape the whole show...and they were staring at their screens, nothing live.
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
    Yup. I think a lot has to do with the bands.....I go to a lot of jamband shows and there really isn't as many people on their phones the whole time. Yeah, there a a few, but not nearly the amount at a PJ show.

And while we are at it.....make the crowd work for an encore. Buildings used to get so loud when it wasn't automatically assumed the band was coming back out
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,651
    The drunk dude in front of me (I was row 1of club 222 so he was back row of 122) was recording blurry videos all night...he probably thought were in focus. I miss the days when only thing in the air were arms.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    its a catch 22.

I learned that there will be photos and videos taken that I can get the next day that are 100x better than ones I can take. I dig checking stuff out from shows I have been too after the fact. I do not really do much with my camera/phone

But If everyone realized this and put their phones away, then there would be no photos/videos.

Also, periscope.
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    I got 8 text messages and 12 snap updates from a buddy last night. I was like, "dude, put down your phone and enjoy the show"
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    The saddest sign of the times is the lack of lighters in the building. Remember when a band would play their 'ballad(s)' and the place would light up like a Christmas tree? You don't see that anymore.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • BizzzyBozzzyBizzzyBozzzy Posts: 388
    Any picture confirmation of guys recording shows? (joke)
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,765
    Washed said:

Same here - 2 guys in front of me held their phones up and recorded the whole Columbia show. I was able to maneuver and see but I don't get the desire to tape the whole show...and they were staring at their screens, nothing live.

Were you in GA?
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Xmas75Xmas75 Posts: 9
    edited May 2016
    I was in GA yes, I tried to do seats at the last social distortion show I went too thinking I had finally grown up to wanted to be seated... It's something about growing up going to punk shows... 3 song in I had to sneak down to the pit lol
    Best feeling in the world... PJ show was amazing a weekend of memories... Just wish so many of them weren't of people's phone screens
    Post edited by Xmas75 on
  • I am thankful for the people that do spend the whole night with their phone in hand and periscope the whole show. I myself could never do that. So thank you for the sacrifice, all you dedicated phone holders, I really do appreciate it. Sorry I will never be able to repay you.

Some people can enjoy the show, chat, periscope all night and have a great time, others can't. No harm in that, as long as the phones are kept out of other people's view .
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    DeLukin said:

The saddest sign of the times is the lack of lighters in the building. Remember when a band would play their 'ballad(s)' and the place would light up like a Christmas tree? You don't see that anymore.

Hey but you got the PJ app lighter you can light up on your phone if you're feeling nostalgic! (being sarcastic)
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    MayDay10 said:

its a catch 22.

I learned that there will be photos and videos taken that I can get the next day that are 100x better than ones I can take. I dig checking stuff out from shows I have been too after the fact. I do not really do much with my camera/phone

But If everyone realized this and put their phones away, then there would be no photos/videos.

Also, periscope.

Periscope scares me. While admittedly I've enjoyed watching a couple of the shows this tour through Periscope it's a slippery slope. I can easily see Periscope improving the streaming feed over time as the technology becomes more advanced and before you know it everyone in the damn arena will be holding up a phone to stream the show to their users. Technology is both a blessing and a curse I guess.

I for one don't pull out my phone to snap pics at shows any longer UNLESS I'm on the rail or really close where I can snap a quality pic. Any pics taken beyond the first couple of rows always turn out shitty imo.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    I don't remember a whole lot about my first time seeing Pearl Jam (lolla '92) but I remember a lot about my first PJ show (Missoula Montana). I was driving across Canada with one of my best friends. We weren't sure if we'd make it back in time to see PJ in Vancouver, so we bought Missoula tickets, and did a minor cheat on the cross Canada trip. We hung out at friend of his in Calgary, the drive straight down to Missoula. I remember the middle of nowhere border crossing we went to. They asked us so many questions. My friend cracked after they asked us if there were any drugs or drug paraphernalia in the car. He replied it "No, We vacuumed it out really good". My car got thoroughly searched.. lol (funny thing is while he cracked when he said that, it was 100% the truth. haha).

We got to Missoula a dayish early. We tried camping at the KoA but this big ass storm came in and flooded Missoula. We ended up seeing the x-files movie at the theatre to stay dry.. slept in the car. The next day we rented this hut cabin thing at the KoA instead.

We went for breakfast at some diner place and we saw a guy drinking and driving, and a cop saw it and did nothing. We asked the cop about it and he explained to us that in Montana it's legal to drink and drive and as long as you don't drive over the legal limit!!! America really is the land of the free (there were also stretches of highways without speed limits at the time.. also genuis!)

I remember the outside merch booth at Missoula. No lineups, first time I'd seen a concert poster print at a show. No insanity, and I thought it was brilliant I could buy stuff, toss it in the car, and not have to have it in the pit.

I remember a girl coming up to us after she noticed we were Canadian. Told us never to date an American.. lol!!

The Concert was awesome. Beautiful Sunny day (the day after a giant storm.) The show was sold out so people were watching from a hill behind Grizzly stadium that overlooked the stadium. It had a really good pit. Everyone was pretty friendly. One guy tried to go from the seated seats into GA and it pissed off a security guard. The guard expended all of his energy waiting for that kid to come out of the pit. Poor kid (the guard got his man). I remember a guy who got to propose on stage! I often wonder if those two people married. One of my best memories is that when you go into mosh pits you tend to get tossed around so you loose track of your friends and meet up with them after. I decided to crowd surf during letterbetter, and my friend did the same thing. We bumped into each other and surfed out the end of the concert.. lol.

Sorry... I rambled.. Missoua '98 was awesome. I still consider it my first PJ show (even though I'd seen them do a set at lolla).
  • I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Posts: 3,508
    Zod said:

I don't remember a whole lot about my first time seeing Pearl Jam (lolla '92) but I remember a lot about my first PJ show (Missoula Montana). I was driving across Canada with one of my best friends. We weren't sure if we'd make it back in time to see PJ in Vancouver, so we bought Missoula tickets, and did a minor cheat on the cross Canada trip. We hung out at friend of his in Calgary, the drive straight down to Missoula. I remember the middle of nowhere border crossing we went to. They asked us so many questions. My friend cracked after they asked us if there were any drugs or drug paraphernalia in the car. He replied it "No, We vacuumed it out really good". My car got thoroughly searched.. lol (funny thing is while he cracked when he said that, it was 100% the truth. haha).

We got to Missoula a dayish early. We tried camping at the KoA but this big ass storm came in and flooded Missoula. We ended up seeing the x-files movie at the theatre to stay dry.. slept in the car. The next day we rented this hut cabin thing at the KoA instead.

We went for breakfast at some diner place and we saw a guy drinking and driving, and a cop saw it and did nothing. We asked the cop about it and he explained to us that in Montana it's legal to drink and drive and as long as you don't drive over the legal limit!!! America really is the land of the free (there were also stretches of highways without speed limits at the time.. also genuis!)

I remember the outside merch booth at Missoula. No lineups, first time I'd seen a concert poster print at a show. No insanity, and I thought it was brilliant I could buy stuff, toss it in the car, and not have to have it in the pit.

I remember a girl coming up to us after she noticed we were Canadian. Told us never to date an American.. lol!!

The Concert was awesome. Beautiful Sunny day (the day after a giant storm.) The show was sold out so people were watching from a hill behind Grizzly stadium that overlooked the stadium. It had a really good pit. Everyone was pretty friendly. One guy tried to go from the seated seats into GA and it pissed off a security guard. The guard expended all of his energy waiting for that kid to come out of the pit. Poor kid (the guard got his man). I remember a guy who got to propose on stage! I often wonder if those two people married. One of my best memories is that when you go into mosh pits you tend to get tossed around so you loose track of your friends and meet up with them after. I decided to crowd surf during letterbetter, and my friend did the same thing. We bumped into each other and surfed out the end of the concert.. lol.

Sorry... I rambled.. Missoua '98 was awesome. I still consider it my first PJ show (even though I'd seen them do a set at lolla).

That was the longest post I've read here in years! Good story.

I also stayed at the KOA in Missoula.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I remember sneaking a camera into concerts in my bra...a tiny 110. I lost it and didn't have it with me when I saw the Ramones, Metallica, and Soundgarden at Lolla. Fuck I had an awesome time at that show...I was on the rail until a security guard pulled me out because the pit started getting crazy and he was worried about me.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    RKCNDY said:

I remember sneaking a camera into concerts in my bra...a tiny 110. I lost it and didn't have it with me when I saw the Ramones, Metallica, and Soundgarden at Lolla. Fuck I had an awesome time at that show...I was on the rail until a security guard pulled me out because the pit started getting crazy and he was worried about me.

Kinder camera? =)

First PJ show my guy and I attended together, he took one pic of the venue/stage from our seats (awesome ones, too!), and now we have a photo of a dude in a Ross Perot tshirt with his arms raised.

Not in a V though.

The picture kept will remind me, but nothing compares to BEING THERE. In the moment, with eyes and ears and all senses, vs. a device.
  • smc317smc317 Posts: 14

I am thankful for the people that do spend the whole night with their phone in hand and periscope the whole show. I myself could never do that. So thank you for the sacrifice, all you dedicated phone holders, I really do appreciate it. Sorry I will never be able to repay you.

Some people can enjoy the show, chat, periscope all night and have a great time, others can't. No harm in that, as long as the phones are kept out of other people's view .

That last sentence is key. As long as it's not bothering anyone else and you want to do it, why not? That said, I don't think people realize (or care) how unbelievably annoying/distracting it is to be behind someone on their phone. Even if it's video and it's out of the way, it's distracting but at least that's done with a purpose that someone can enjoy later on. The worst is when the person is scrolling through facebook or something. I was behind 4 people at MSG 1 with their phones out most of the night. One dude checking the set list on setlistfm betweeen every song, the others on facebook or whatever. It's like having someone shine a flashlight in your eye all night.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,592
    I think its cool for everyone to grab a pic or two. Or even a snippet of a song. Really hate it when people hold their phones up for the whole show, or even the whole song.

I once got shushed by someone who was recording because i joined in the "Haleluia" part of Do The Evolution.

Then on the other hand, you get people who blabber constantly during the quiet songs......

People just need to be considerate. Dont hold your phone in someones view, dont shush people during a crowd participation part, dont talk during the quiet parts, and for gods sake...enough with the selfies during the performance. You got a poster, a ticket, 2 videos, and 2 dozen pics.....we KNOW you were st the show.

Live in the moment.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,188
    Phones > Mosh pits

Phones > Crowd Surfers
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • WashedWashed Posts: 736
    ComeToTX said:

Washed said:

Were you in GA?
    Yes - I was about 5 people back from Mike, they were 4. 4 rows away from a rock god and they watched it all unfold on their screens!
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • If the band live streamed their shows (even for a small fee here on the website) then all the Periscope people would put their phones away. No video bootleggers. Perhaps a solution for the future.
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Body surfing wouldn't of been an option. Thankful I experience those shows
    4/6/94, 4/10/94, 4/11/94
    9/26/96, 9/28/96, 10/2/96
    6/14/98, 9/13/98, 9/15/98, 9/16/98
    8/3/00, 8/29/00, 8/30/00
    7/2/03, 7/3/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03
    9/28/04, 9/29/04
    5/24/06, 5/25/06
    6/28/08, 6/30/08, 8/1/08, 8/2/08
    5/17/10
    10/15/13, 10/16/13
    8/5/16, 8/7/16
    9/4/18, 9/4/18
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,973
    phuck phones at shows.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Xmas75Xmas75 Posts: 9
    The show was amazing, but I have to say my best memory of this show was... After Columbia SC show got out there were few places left open to grab some late night dinner. Apparently several of us all found a Waffle House that was not expecting such a large crowd of people... 45 min to 1 hour wait for hash browns lol but not wanting the night to end, most of us decided to stay there and wait it out.. Even after one point they locked their 24hr doors lol so they could get clean plates... Anyway a guy stands up goes and plays PJ songs on the Jukebox- the entire place slowly started to sing along ...there was no Ed live ,no Mike, nothing just a few quarters and some great moments! The entire place was singing along with every note! To those who where there thanks for the memories!!! And lastly... Wish I would have pulled my phone out and filmed it!!! Hahahaha kidding
    Thank you all in SC short but quick trip from Ca will never be forgotten
  • mrk2mrk2 Posts: 2,067

Phones > Mosh pits

Phones > Crowd Surfers

Yeah, totally

vs
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • ceskaceska Posts: 1,115
    That 2nd pics is what Animal, Alive, etc, still look like.
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,394
    RKCNDY said:

I remember these days!! I brought two disposable cameras to VFC Reading '04, we were in line and saw security dumping them and another random fan (lady) stuffed them into her bra for me and I got them in!! :lol:

People still took pictures on flip phones back then. Only true pre-phone era was the 90s but yeah there's a whole lot more cell phones out these days, I just try to ignore them. :i_dunno:
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • ceskaceska Posts: 1,115
    Why would they have confiscated disposable cameras? I got into a few shows with them. I've got distant photos of stage backdrops with small figures that I swear are members of Pearl Jam.
  • ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    April 2nd 1992. My second Pearl Jam "experience" ,the one that got me hooked. Cleveland, Ohio, Peabody's Downunder, around 600 people crammed in shoulder to shoulder. 30 minutes before show time some guy who looks like a street person begins to wander around the club making people uncomfortable by standing right up close and stare at you with a crazed look. This went on for a good 20 minutes. This guy must have walked past me a half dozen times. So when the show begins the band comes out and starts warming up to launch into "Once" . When the street person walked onstage, took off his trench coat and ski cap . It was Ed. The crowd let out an audible gasp. What a way to begin a Pearl Jam show.
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    I thought about this thread this morning. I'm American but went to the Ottawa show. Every person on here would be proud with that crowd.

While just 2 months ago in Boston at RNDM, I stood in third row and everyone around me watched the show through their phones. Mind you, it's a very small club with Joe and Jeff 5 feet away.

We had good 10c res. seats on the side last night. Throughout the entire show, save for Bee Girl, most of the venue had NO cell phones out. It was Like living in the past to look around and just see a packed house of fans not glued to their gadgets. So proud!! Canadians know that phones at shows suck!