Wear your seat belt!

For crying out loud, please, don't even think about driving without your seat belt on. On the way home we were the third car at the scene of an accident where a guy in an old pick up truck had just spun out and hit a newer 4 Runner head on. The guy in the 4 Runner is OK though might have a broken hand. His seat belt and air bag saved him. The guy in the pick up had no air bag and was not wearing a seat belt. I'll spare the details from here on (don't ask) but it's not likely he will live. What a hell of a thing to see happen. Just awful.

Be safe out there, friends.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Were you hit Brian? Are you okay?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,627
    I'm fine, thanks for asking, RKCNDY. Just massively bummed from the images, sounds, the terribleness of it. So could have turned out better had the guy had his seat belt on.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    Sometimes while talking to my sister on the phone, I'll hear a ding-ding-ding in the background. "Are you calling me while driving AND not wearing your seatbelt?!!! Put the fucking thing on and call me back when you're not driving!" *click*
  • I'm so sorry about that whole situation. Awful.

You're channeling a positive message somehow.
    Hobbes said:

Sometimes while talking to my sister on the phone, I'll hear a ding-ding-ding in the background. "Are you calling me while driving AND not wearing your seatbelt?!!! Put the fucking thing on and call me back when you're not driving!" *click*

Right on, Hobbes!

I'm so sorry about that whole situation. Awful.

You're channeling a positive message somehow.

Thanks so much, Riddled.

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I can't NOT drive without my seatbelt. Not from the legal side of it either; it's just a no-brainer.

There was a terrible accident out here this week (I think due to street racing) and two people were ejected and killed because they weren't belted.

I guess it's like helmets - some just don't think or care about it.

Hobbes, don't get me started on people driving while on their phones. Ugh.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    So glad you're okay Brian!

Like hedo, a seatbelt is just automatic. So sorry you had to experience that today.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    Very 1st day on the job(retired NYC firefighter) extracted 2 men from a car. The 1 wearing a seatbelt survived. Would never drive without wearing seatbelt, WHY would anyone NOT wear a seat belt?
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!

Very 1st day on the job(retired NYC firefighter) extracted 2 men from a car. The 1 wearing a seatbelt survived. Would never drive without wearing seatbelt, WHY would anyone NOT wear a seat belt?

Thanks for being a firefighter, guacamolejoe. Much respect for you guys.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    I feel naked without a seat belt on. Glad you're physically okay, Brian!
    Still kind of reeling from this. Because we were one of the first on the scene, my wife jumped out to help direct traffic while I made sure 911 was on the way. Another woman started to direct traffic so my wife stayed with the guy, told him not to move, held his hand and kept him calm. She said he was old and badly busted up and not likely to survive. Paramedics showed up, we got out of the way, never heard what happened afterward- even a fire fighter friend wasn't sure how to find out. Not sure what's up with that.

If the guy had his seat belt on he would have had a much better chance. Terribly sad situation.

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    I feel naked if I don't have my seatbelt on. Not that I don't like being naked just not in public. Seat belts wear them they will save your life. Last I had an accident where my truck ran into the back of a Jeep.....both airbags came out, smashed windshield etc. I didn't even suffer a bruise.

Peac
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    brianlux said:

Still kind of reeling from this. Because we were one of the first on the scene, my wife jumped out to help direct traffic while I made sure 911 was on the way. Another woman started to direct traffic so my wife stayed with the guy, told him not to move, held his hand and kept him calm. She said he was old and badly busted up and not likely to survive. Paramedics showed up, we got out of the way, never heard what happened afterward- even a fire fighter friend wasn't sure how to find out. Not sure what's up with that.

If the guy had his seat belt on he would have had a much better chance. Terribly sad situation.

The only way you could've found out is if you had gotten his name and called the hospital they took him too. You'd have to claim to be a relative of course, but it's possible if you got the nurses desk they could just tell you if he was okay or not.

That said, B-Lux, I wouldn't recommend chasing the info down. You don't want to be proved right on this one. You did what you could at the time. Try to take solace in that.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    ldent42 said:

brianlux said:

The only way you could've found out is if you had gotten his name and called the hospital they took him too. You'd have to claim to be a relative of course, but it's possible if you got the nurses desk they could just tell you if he was okay or not.

That said, B-Lux, I wouldn't recommend chasing the info down. You don't want to be proved right on this one. You did what you could at the time. Try to take solace in that.
    Thanks, Ident. I think you are right. I have to hope for the best and let it go.

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    I wear seatbelt and it's the law here
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,515
    I wear my seatbelt also. I don't mean to sound callous, but am I the only one here who thinks laws should be made to protect people from others doing harm to them or society , not protect people from themselves.
    This law seems like a good way to make some easy money for the police.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Malroth said:

I wear my seatbelt also. I don't mean to sound callous, but am I the only one here who thinks laws should be made to protect people from others doing harm to them or society , not protect people from themselves.

Mal, I think I'm down with that.
    I don't care if it's a law or not, just please wear you seat belt.

Yeah, this is probably a selfish request. I don't like walking around thinking about what I saw. Also, this guy is/was (don't know, at this point don't wanna know) somebody's kid/lover/friend/confidant or maybe just a regular guy who screwed up and is either totally effed up or dead.

• Malroth said:

You are absolutely wrong. It's a law that could save your life one day.
    Can't see how you lumped in the police with this.
    It's easy money for police only because there are a lot of idiots who don't were a seatbelt.
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,515
    edited May 2016

Malroth said:

It's easy money for police only because there are a lot of idiots who don't were a seatbelt.
    So wait....I am not absolutely wrong? Is it easy money or not? :wink:
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Malroth said:

Malroth said:

So wait....I am not absolutely wrong? Is it easy money or not? :wink:
    I see what you mean.
    I read your post that perhaps this law is silly and just another cash grab for police.
    Laws are laws, pay the price if you break em.