Options

Bonnaroo Cancellation? - Tennessee Religious Counceling Law

PorchRadioPorchRadio Aurora, IL Posts: 233
edited April 2016 in The Porch
So with the precedent set in Raleigh, you think they cancel on Bonnaroo? I am not sure a cancellation there would have the same economic impact, as everyone would already have tickets, be at the farm, and spending money. But they set a precedent with the Raleigh cancellation that cancelling was done more as protest and to draw more attention, than about causing economic repercussions.

I love Roo, and really want to see my favorite band at my favorite place, but I think I may be looking at a repeat of my Raleigh adventure (fyi, I stand behind their decision there, even though I sunk money into plane tickets and a rental car).

1995 Soldier Field, Chicago
1998 Alpine Valley, WI
2000 Indianapolis, IN
2011 PJ20 Alpine Valley
2013 Wrigley Field
2013 Voodoo Fest New Orleans, LA
2014 Moline, IL (No Code)
2014 Milwaukee, WI (Yield)
2016 Greenville, SC (Vs)
2016 Columbia, SC
2016 Bonnaroo
2016 Wrigley I & II
Post edited by PorchRadio on

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Tennessee governor signs religious counseling bill into law

Tennessee's Republican governor says he has signed a bill that allows mental health counselors to refuse to treat patients based on the therapist's religious or personal beliefs.

Republican Gov. Bill Haslam told The Associated Press on Wednesday that he signed the bill after talking to numerous counselors, including those who were in favor and those opposed.

The American Counseling Association called the legislation an "unprecedented attack" on the counseling profession and said Tennessee was the only state to ever pass such a law.

Opponents say the legislation is part of a wave of bills around the nation that legalizes discrimination against gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people.

Supporters say the bill protects the rights of therapists and allows them to refer patients to more appropriate counselors.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/tennessee-governor-signs-religious-counseling-bill-into-law/156407317

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Someone who can't empathize with another human being because they can't see past their own prejudices should not be in the counseling profession. What's next, doctors can refuse care to patients because they don't like the patients' hair color? What's wrong with this world.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,984
    They won't cancel Bonnaroo.

But it is weird that people are looking for any legal loophole to be a dick to someone just because they are out of their comfort zone.
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,075
    What "precedent" was set? They took a stand on one issue. Why do they have to take every stand now?
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    Time to stand up

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    PorchRadioPorchRadio Aurora, IL Posts: 233
    edited April 2016
    vant0037 said:

What "precedent" was set? They took a stand on one issue. Why do they have to take every stand now?

The stand is against discrimination, which both laws basically legalize. I see it as exactly the same.
    1995 Soldier Field, Chicago
    1998 Alpine Valley, WI
    2000 Indianapolis, IN
    2011 PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2013 Wrigley Field
    2013 Voodoo Fest New Orleans, LA
    2014 Moline, IL (No Code)
    2014 Milwaukee, WI (Yield)
    2016 Greenville, SC (Vs)
    2016 Columbia, SC
    2016 Bonnaroo
    2016 Wrigley I & II
  • Options
    rival9500rival9500 Posts: 543
    As a therapist, this disgusts me. I agree that one shouldn't be a therapist if they can't deal with this. One of the first things they address in grad school is to know what our own beliefs are and to be able to leave it out of therapist/client relationship. Imagine being someone who is struggling with their identity, sexuality, or whatever else, and wanting to get help and being told "sorry you're not welcome to get help here". Sad. Add Tennessee governor Bill Haslam to the list of dickhead governors that need to be voted out of office.
    1998: Pitt
    2000: Pitt
    2003: Pitt, State College, Columbus,DC, Hershey
    2004: Reading, Toledo, DC
    2005: Pitt
    2006: Cleve, Camden 1+2, DC, Pitt, Cinci
    2008: Camden 1+2, DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Columbus
    2012: Philly
    2013: Pitt, NYC 1+2
  • Options
    NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    Huge payday..no chance they cancel. Enjoy the show..they will be there.
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • Options
    serpent boyserpent boy Virginia Beach Posts: 372
    If the band really cares about discrimination against LGBTQA put into law, they should cancel as a protest. It is a very similar form of discrimination to NC's law.

It won't happen because of the huge pay day, and it would lead to a shitstorm from MANY more fans who purchased Bonnaroo tickets to see the best band in the world.

But doesn't it make the Raleigh cancellation look like a bandwagon move to keep the band's ethos intact rather than to actually stand up for something they believe in?
    00: Va Beach, 03: Bristow, 04: Reading, 05: Atlantic City 2x
    06: Camden, Washington DC, 08: Va Beach, Washington DC
    09: Philly 2+3, 10: Bristow, 11: East Troy PJ20 1+2, 13: Baltimore, Charlottesville
  • Options
    EnjoyBeingEnjoyBeing Posts: 125
    edited April 2016
    It is sad our country's elected officials are using law to mask and protect prejudice (similar to poll taxes of the past).

I'm thankful we have folks like Ed Vedder and Pearl Jam who exercise their voice to speak against hate, especially hate sanctioned by law. I hope their inspiration spreads like wild fire.

"I am a patriot ..."
    Post edited by EnjoyBeing on
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,945
    Noload said:

Pretty much. No way will they cancel a festival event they are headlining. That's impossible. If Bonnaroo was held in North Carolina with PJ headlining, they still would of went on stage.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,594
    edited April 2016
    They won't. They should, but they won't. The precedent has been set.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,075

vant0037 said:

The stand is against discrimination, which both laws basically legalize. I see it as exactly the same.
    It might be the same. It's their stand to take. It's their prerogative to be inconsistent, consistent, active or silent. This sudden expectation that because they took one stand, they must now take all stands (lest they be hypocrites) is ridiculous. If you draw the logic out, it essentially supports apathy always. (so the maxim would go: "if you act once, you must act always. If you act once and not always, then you're a hypocrite and shouldn't act at all.")

People are hypocritical all the time and progress is often inconsistently sought and fought for. That doesn't mean we shouldn't do something sometimes. The world is too complex to demand complete consistency.

They cancelled a show. It sucked for a lot of fans. It was their choice to make.

Move on already.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    Let's be honest. This thread passive aggressively calls out our favorite band for being hypocrites.

These are difficult conversations on some pretty awful issues but it's only the one the media constantly pounds down our throats that are in vogue to protest, putting pressure on bands and businesses to make a statement when others before them decided to act. No one is really talking about this, but it's a state law legalizing discrimination against other humans. Pretty much the same thing.

They won't cancel roo and neither will any of the 300 other bands playing. that weekend it will be ok to rock out and party in a discriminatory state, be it for the $$$$ or because it's just easier as it's not in the media spotlight.
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    demetrios said:

Noload said:

Pretty much. No way will they cancel a festival event they are headlining. That's impossible. If Bonnaroo was held in North Carolina with PJ headlining, they still would of went on stage.
    I would imagine the red tape and penalties are severe.

Anyways, as a former raleigh ticket holder, I hope they never cancel a show again. It sucks
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,984
    Man, concerts seem like life or death for some people.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I might argue this law is even more harmful as it potentially denies access to mental health services, especially in rural areas where resources tend to be limited.

Tennessee is a border state with North Carolina. I believe they should be held to the same standard, and the same organizations that have placed a boycott on NC should do so in Tennessee, as well as Mississippi and anywhere else were discrimination becomes state law.

If this law still stands on June I think some tough decisions may need to be made.

The LGBT community needs consistent support and solidarity right now. Hopefully all the organization's that stood up in NC will continue to help provide that, because North Carolina could just be the beginning.
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    vant0037 said:

vant0037 said:

It might be the same. It's their stand to take. It's their prerogative to be inconsistent, consistent, active or silent. This sudden expectation that because they took one stand, they must now take all stands (lest they be hypocrites) is ridiculous. If you draw the logic out, it essentially supports apathy always. (so the maxim would go: "if you act once, you must act always. If you act once and not always, then you're a hypocrite and shouldn't act at all.")

People are hypocritical all the time and progress is often inconsistently sought and fought for. That doesn't mean we shouldn't do something sometimes. The world is too complex to demand complete consistency.

They cancelled a show. It sucked for a lot of fans. It was their choice to make.

Move on already.
    Excellent, very intelligent, post.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    nycrats said:

Let's be honest. This thread passive aggressively calls out our favorite band for being hypocrites.

These are difficult conversations on some pretty awful issues but it's only the one the media constantly pounds down our throats that are in vogue to protest, putting pressure on bands and businesses to make a statement when others before them decided to act. No one is really talking about this, but it's a state law legalizing discrimination against other humans. Pretty much the same thing.

They won't cancel roo and neither will any of the 300 other bands playing. that weekend it will be ok to rock out and party in a discriminatory state, be it for the $$$$ or because it's just easier as it's not in the media spotlight.

Very true.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    Cancel 'Roo and replace it with a Proper Nashville show :)
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    I live in Tennessee and I am ashamed of our government for this awful law. Though no where near as far reaching as the NC law, it is still discrimination based on homophobia, just written a bit more cleverly to hide the hate. I don't expect them to cancel bonnaroo and I won't think it hypocritical of them to play it after cancelling NC... but if they did cancel I'd admire the shit out of them for doing so. I guess we will know for sure 2 days before the show.
  • Options
    They just played a festival that benefits Shell Oil. I'm not being passive at all. We're all hypocrites but canceling Raleigh and playing in TN is bad. So is talking for 60 seconds in Columbia about massive companies destroying our environment and then 48 hours later playing on a stage backed by a Shell Oil sign.
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,212
    They got paid out the ass to headline the Roo. No way they cancel.
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:

They just played a festival that benefits Shell Oil. I'm not being passive at all. We're all hypocrites but canceling Raleigh and playing in TN is bad. So is talking for 60 seconds in Columbia about massive companies destroying our environment and then 48 hours later playing on a stage backed by a Shell Oil sign.

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    edited April 2016
    Liberals like to have their cake and eat it too.

On one hand, "people treat the concert like life and death", but on the other they think so much of the concert that canceling it could change a law. Which one is it? Is the concert important or not?

Liberals on this board told us pissed off Raleigh ticket holders:
    - Pearl Jam is a political band. You shouldn't be surprised.
    - You shouldn't travel to see Pearl Jam with the expectation that they will play, especially in the south.
    - I'm proud of the band for taking a stand.

Now, just days later a terrible law in TN gets passed, and every thing is:
    - They can't cancel Bonnarroo. Too many fans and contractual reasons.
    - They can't take a stand every time.
    - Give it time.

Huge hypocrisy from the liberal fan base here. They sure loved sticking it to the pissed of Raleigh ticket holders from their soap box, but my how their tune has changed just days later.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    vant0037 said:

vant0037 said:

Move on already.
    i totally disagree... this is the same exact issue in a border state... this isn't a different issue in a different are of the world... this would not be a different stand, this would be acting in solidarity and containing to take a stand on that one issue... they threw their hat in the ring for this fight, a righteous fight, now I believe it is their responsibility to help see this fight through to the end. I don't give a shit how much they got paid to play Bonnaroo, peoples civil rights are far more important, and I believe that is exactly why they canceled Raleigh

that's the problem with todays society, they think by sending 1 tweet or filling out a petition is all they need to do to bring change and they move on the next day... North Carolina was not the start of this issue and it will not be the end of this issue... just canceling 1 concert in North Carolina did not all of the sudden make the LGBT community whole, so to speak, or end the struggle... women's suffrage and the black civil rights battle took place across the entire country for years, the civil rights movement had to fight in every corner of the south for YEARS, not just a random Wednesday in Raleigh North Carolina...

you cant be neutral on a moving train...
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    vant0037 said:

vant0037 said:

Move on already.
    Vant, this is said so well. Thanks for taking the time to put together such a great response!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I see no hypocrisy, only logic.

You can't expect the band take a stand on every single issue every single time. If that were the case, they would never play a single show. They have every night to act when they want, how they want. I'm not calling it a "liberal" or a "conservative" thing, just an idiotic thing to expect the band to cancel every single show in every state with a law they don't agree with just because they did it in NC. I think you're missing the point entirely from those who supported the NC cancellation -- it wasn't about supporting some so-called hypocritical decision to cancel there and not in other places, it was was about supporting the band in their decision to protest in whatever form, and at whatever time, they so choose. We may be fans that enable them to become rich and famous, but under no circumstances should that allow us to determine how they go about with their personal and political decisions.

• Options

Liberals like to have their cake and eat it too.

On one hand, "people treat the concert like life and death", but on the other they think so much of the concert that canceling it could change a law. Which one is it? Is the concert important or not?

Liberals on this board told us pissed off Raleigh ticket holders:
    - Pearl Jam is a political band. You shouldn't be surprised.
    - You shouldn't travel to see Pearl Jam with the expectation that they will play, especially in the south.
    - I'm proud of the band for taking a stand.

Now, just days later a terrible law in TN gets passed, and every thing is:
    - They can't cancel Bonnarroo. Too many fans and contractual reasons.
    - They can't take a stand every time.
    - Give it time.

Huge hypocrisy from the liberal fan base here. They sure loved sticking it to the pissed of Raleigh ticket holders from their soap box, but my how their tune has changed just days later.

I'm pretty liberal. I hate these laws. I also think it was pointless to cancel Raleigh instead of donating to groups fighting it. I don't want them to cancel Roo but I'm not sure how they justify canceling Raleigh and playing in TN.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    I hope for the fans that they don't cancel Bonnaroo and seriously doubt that they will.... it would probably blacklist them from festivals.... but I support their right to stand up to bigotry where ever it is happening.
    glad they made the decision in NC. now we will see about the Tennessee show. I honestly hadn't heard about this law until it was brought up in this thread.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore