GA Line Etiquette

On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being a totally unacceptable douchebag move, and 5 being completely acceptable, where would it rank for 1 GA ticket holder to start waiting in line at 8:00 AM, and the other ticket holder to join the 1st ticket holder at 3:00 PM after he gets off work?

Comments

• JimminezJimminez Posts: 217
    I asked a similar question a little while ago. Would like to hear what other members say.
    2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2016 - 5/5, 5/8, 5/10, 5/12, 8/5, 8/7
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16
  • Who I AmWho I Am Posts: 661
    Wear the same clothes and alternate going to the bathroom, merch lines..etc
    02MAY2003 - State College, PA
    08JUL2003 - New York, NY (L@TG)
    14JUL2003 - Holmdel, NJ
    01OCT2004 - Reading, PA
    01OCT2005 - Atlantic City, NJ
    03OCT2005 - Philadelphia, PA
    27MAY2006 - Camden, NJ
    01JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    03JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    30SEP2009 - Universal City, CA
    09OCT2009 - San Diego, CA
    06JUL2011 - Long Beach, CA (EV)
    19JUL2013 - Wrigley Field, IL
    21OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    22OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    27OCT2013 - Baltimore, MD
    29APR2016 - Philadelphia, PA (TEN)
    05AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    07AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    27AUG2016 - Dana Point, CA (Ohana)
    18AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    20AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    18SEP2021 - Asbury Park, NJ
    14SEP2022 - Camden, NJ
    09SEP2024 - Philadelphia, PA
    12SEP2024 - Baltimore, MD

• hihobibohihobibo Posts: 1,090
    Is it ok for one person to run inside, get a spot at the rail, and immediately drape their arms out in full wingspan and say "this is my spot, I'm saving for my friend"?

I'd say no to this, and in turn, give a 2 to the original question.

If person A is getting there at 8 am to be 3-4 people deep, then I'm fine with saving a spot for the ticket partner. But its not cool to save a spot on the rail that should go to the person who shows up at 8:30 that will be bumped because everyone in front of them are saving spots for others. That's why it is General Admission. First come first serve.
  • MS657977MS657977 Posts: 10
    I have been to many NIN shows on the rail, and I'll tell you how it "works" with us. Since the people buying fan club tix are always going to be the people who intend to get themselves on the rail, and since most people buy two tickets, then it is generally OK for one person to show up first and the guest (the one on the other ticket) get there somewhat later. But one of them has to be there the whole time, and it's more like a few hours' difference is "OK." One person getting there 24 hours in advance (typical for NIN) and the other getting there an hour before doors - I think that person would probably not enjoy his upcoming rail experience and his name would be publicized as someone who enjoys making dick moves on fellow fans. And for some shows, fan club ticketholders need to show their tickets just inside the door or gate, after having picked it up from the fan ticket rep, so you really have to go in with your ticket partner in case there is some problem. Once inside you can split up. From what I gather, since PJ only sells tix in pairs, you need to go in together also? Or does it not matter?

Most people do this well. I've only been to a few shows out of 60 where some ass just has to try and get bunches of friends to the front of the line. Most people who want rail all know each other by this time, since they'll all been to many dozens of shows. So people are generally cool.

In short: for NIN shows I always assume that whatever my spot in line when I arrive, I could theoretically have double the amount of people in front of me by doors. Sucks when it happens, but just gotta get there earlier, or live with standing in middle or back.

PS NOBODY at a NIN show gets to save a spot ON the rail once inside. I mean maybe for five seconds for your friend right behind you, but sticking arms out and blocking spots for people arriving later - hell to the no. You'd get your teeth kicked in, later when there's no security around.
  • BRAIN0FJAYBRAIN0FJAY Posts: 989
    I don't have any problem with it. That's just me.
    ...So much talk it makes no sense at all...
  • stevedsteved Posts: 657
    Maryelle that is not how we do it with PJ line in the front.. If your plus one is not with you, unless they are a young kid or an elderly person they should go to the spot at which they arrive... As people are sleeping out in rain etc... Those people will be very upset to wake up and have the line doubled or even added by one as some have made the choice to sleep in a hotel as others have put in their time in the line... That is what we have done this tour in the front of the GA line anyway.. Just my two cents..
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• ikiTikiT Posts: 11,054
    edited April 2016
    if you're outside in the line, I think the move in question (1 waiting for 1) is a strong 4.25...as long a bit of a heads up to your immediate line-mates is conveyed. 8am is pretty effing early.
    Casual acquaintances who show up in groups (2 or more) at 3pm (or later...seriously?) and expect to magically meld into the line...Hell NO. That's a 1, total dbag move.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • jessebasijessebasi Posts: 149
    It's alright, as long as you're not a dick about it. When I saw Foo Fighters, I was first in line (waited all day) and the people behind me, who came about 30 mins after me, told me right off the bat that they'd have 3 kids joining them close to showtime. I said sure, why the hell not, they're young kids. When the doors opened, one the kids pushed my brother (who waited with me the whole time) out of the way and started to race into the venue. I had to block the kid to still get the front centre spot. Was pissed that I let the kid in the line.

Kids these days...
    2016 - Toronto I (Binaural!), Toronto II
    2020 - Toronto, Hamilton
  • stevedsteved Posts: 657
    In my experience the thinking in the very front of the line (the first 20-30 people ) is a lot more territorial than farther back in the line. Those are the spots that are going to be more centered spots on the rail. If people are camping out for those spots super early they should not then realize they have then be pushed from their spot to the second row or super wide for someone who did not wait as they did.

That has been the groups view at all of the southern shows this tour... It is one thing if you arrive and your partner is a few minutes behind you or parking the car.. but if they are sleeping in the hotel or coming the following day or hours after, they should have to stand behind you in the next row if you want to see the show together.

When you arrive at the venue that is your place in line... unless everyone in front of you is cool with it (which they probably will not be if you are towards the front) you go to the spot where the line is upon arrival. Feel free to hang with your crew up until 6:15pm but when gates open, back to your spot... That is the right thing to do...

leaving the the line for food, bathroom, tickets, merch, quick shower has been fine, but not longer than that...

Again I can only tell you my experience from GA from FTL, MIA, Tampa, JAX, Columbia... The most recent shows...
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• deweildeweil Posts: 245
    5, assuming it's just 1 person, maybe two if special circumstances. Not an entourage and not showing up 10 minutes before doors unless, again, special circumstances.

Last tour, I had GA for PHL and arrived pretty early but was not the first in line. I told everyone in my area that my girlfriend would be taking a bus in from NY and arriving in the afternoon, still many hours before showtime. She was really sick but trekked out to enjoy the pit with me (her first time really seeing PJ other than Bridge) and we had no issues. We ended up one person from rail, Mike side, and people were really friendly in our zone.

At all shows where I'm at rail, once we all get situated, I make a point of getting to know my neighbors and creating a friendly vibe. At Made In America, where we had the whole day of waiting in the hot sun, we all agreed on where everyone was and this allowed people to go get food, bathroom breaks, etc. I even let two teenage girls stand in front of me during Drake (they left afterward).
  • Steph SSteph S Posts: 13
    It's my first time in GA. Toronto show #1...What time is appropriate to line up to be close to the rail (1-5 deep)? I'm going to drop my kids off at school and head down.
    My sister teaches at a collage and it's the first week of classes. She may just hand out the syllabus and head down. She'll be joining me later (not too late)...Sorry! I'll bring lots of snacks for all around me. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated! Can't wait.
  • abulrabulr Posts: 80
    i completely agree - 5, not a big deal, especially if you give heads up to the people behind you when you get there "i'm holding a spot for my friend who's coming in a bit"... but i don't think anyone would like "hey i'm holding a spot for five of my friends - they just send me here 5 hours earlier so they can sleep in"
    9/95 N.O. ; 9/96 Randall's 1&2 ; 9/98 Continental ; 9/98 - MSG 1 & 2 ; 5/00 - Wembley ; 8/00 - Jones Beach 1,2&3 ; 7/03 - MSG 1&2 ; 5/06 - Irving Plaza ; 6/06 - Continental 1&2 ; 6/08 - MSG 1&2 ; 6/08 - Beacon ; 10/09 - Spectrum 2&3 ; 05/10 - Prudential ; 05/10 - MSG 1&2; 10/13 - Barclays 1&2 ; 10/14 Memphis ; 9/15 Central Park; 4/16 Philly 2; 5/16 MSG 1&2; 5/16 QC; 8/16 Boston; 8/16 Chicago 1&2; 8/18 Seattle 1&2; 8/18 Boston
  • how big is the pit? getting in early and waiting all day isn't an option, and i'd prefer to be able to move around a bit - go to the bar/bathroom, etc.

What's the movability like towards the back of the pit?

how big is the pit? getting in early and waiting all day isn't an option, and i'd prefer to be able to move around a bit - go to the bar/bathroom, etc.

What's the movability like towards the back of the pit?

I agree, but I really want to be up front. Don't know how it works.
  • ikiTikiT Posts: 11,054
    edited April 2016
    the morning (7 to 10am) should be alright for being really close
    the back of the pit gives you plenty of room to dance and use the bathroom or concession with the best view you can imagine....
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018

the back of the pit gives you plenty of room to dance and use the bathroom or concession with the best view you can imagine....

the back of the pit gives you plenty of room to dance and use the bathroom or concession with the best view you can imagine....</blockquot
    Sweet. Thanks.