Community

KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
I live in a place with no sense of community. I hate it. For a sense of belonging, I come here and a couple of other work related places.

The sense of community here has disappeared, to a large extent, in the last 24 hours.

I believe PJ is on the right side of history on this current issue. Next year, it's possible that discrimination will be mandated at the federal level. Please let whatever loud voices be heard now indicating to potential future leaders that their intolerance will not go unchecked. I can't scream loud enough. PJ, Springsteen, Google, Apple, etc can.

Sorry to the fans who lost money.
I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.

Comments

• serpent boyserpent boy Posts: 372
    I think we'll be fine as a tight-knit community. We'll disagree on things and that's ok. The key is to remain civil and respectful of one another and allow everyone to voice their opinions. A move like this can be divisive, but let's use it productively to talk about issues and grow together as a community.
    00: Va Beach, 03: Bristow, 04: Reading, 05: Atlantic City 2x
    06: Camden, Washington DC, 08: Va Beach, Washington DC
    09: Philly 2+3, 10: Bristow, 11: East Troy PJ20 1+2, 13: Baltimore, Charlottesville
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    It seems that - given the show was scheduled for tomorrow and the cancellation was announced yesterday - people needed to let out their anger at feeling fucked over. It's OK by me. Many people planned for this for so long and made it happen as they could.

Shit takes time to dissipate. Most get the action but not doing so sooner. I get that.

(for the record, I live in LA - small pockets of community but overall? No fucking way!)

I think we'll be fine as a tight-knit community. We'll disagree on things and that's ok. The key is to remain civil and respectful of one another and allow everyone to voice their opinions. A move like this can be divisive, but let's use it productively to talk about issues and grow together as a community.

And to you, sir. Must say you've been quite well-spoken and courteous through these (SO MANY) discussions.
  • KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
    hedonist said:

And to you, sir. Must say you've been quite well-spoken and courteous through these (SO MANY) discussions.
    +1
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Posts: 5,902
    Disagreements happen on almost every issue, but the disrespect towards fellow human beings (including the band and the LGBT community) has been really disappointing. This incident has really brought some ugly souls to the surface. It makes me wonder how some of these people can be fans of the music and the message.

While I understand the fans' disappointment, this band has earned my trust by standing up for not only their fans, but all human beings for 26 years. I try to be respectful to everyone, especially the disadvantaged, and I think a large part of that is due to what I learned from this band through my formative years.

I do hope the community survives, but it's hard to believe in right now.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale

Disagreements happen on almost every issue, but the disrespect towards fellow human beings (including the band and the LGBT community) has been really disappointing. This incident has really brought some ugly souls to the surface. It makes me wonder how some of these people can be fans of the music and the message.

While I understand the fans' disappointment, this band has earned my trust by standing up for not only their fans, but all human beings for 26 years. I try to be respectful to everyone, especially the disadvantaged, and I think a large part of that is due to what I learned from this band through my formative years.

Love PJ, but the bolded part? I learned from my parents first and foremost, then by example in the bigger pond.

Yet again, there was much heat-of-the-moment anger, and unleashing of it. Surely, if it can be done without being an asshole (or even venturing over there - fuck knows I've done it myself), why not accept it as given and know it'll pass in time?

We have emotions, feel them, display them, for better or worse.

Life.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,592
    hedonist said:

Love PJ, but the bolded part? I learned from my parents first and foremost, then by example in the bigger pond.

Yet again, there was much heat-of-the-moment anger, and unleashing of it. Surely, if it can be done without being an asshole (or even venturing over there - fuck knows I've done it myself), why not accept it as given and know it'll pass in time?

Life.
    Hedonist....i agree with you completely....with one exception.

I am all for venting. Yes, it will die down. That said....there were some disturbing things said about HB2 where people showed their true colors.

I have absolutely 0 problems with someone who is venting and pissed about timing. Its a legit issue. But within that venting, there were also people "venting" in a direction that was really disturbing. I know a lot of those comments were closed and locked...but I just read this on springsteens board and i saw a few similar comments here yesterday.

"Posted 8 April
    All of you progressive "freedom fighters" can blame yourselves for this. The companies like PayPal, AA, NBA etc who are making noise about this ALL DO BUSINESS IN COUNTRIES THAT REALLY DO HATE GAYS. But that is just too hard to really take a stand on I guess.

You MLK wannabes on your high horses who are demonizing people in NC are doing nothing but sowing the seeds of division in his country. You created an issue where there was none. Based on your idiotic liberal logic we're all bigots here in NC if we want to preserve the status quo on where society allows private parts to be exposed which, up until about 5 minutes ago, was universally accepted and not "discrimination".

Self righteous misguided Bruce just screwed us, his fans. Can't say I'm surprised "
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
    Vedd Hedd said:

hedonist said:

Life.
    Hedonist....i agree with you completely....with one exception.

I am all for venting. Yes, it will die down. That said....there were some disturbing things said about HB2 where people showed their true colors.

I have absolutely 0 problems with someone who is venting and pissed about timing. Its a legit issue. But within that venting, there were also people "venting" in a direction that was really disturbing. I know a lot of those comments were closed and locked...but I just read this on springsteens board and i saw a few similar comments here yesterday.

"Posted 8 April
    All of you progressive "freedom fighters" can blame yourselves for this. The companies like PayPal, AA, NBA etc who are making noise about this ALL DO BUSINESS IN COUNTRIES THAT REALLY DO HATE GAYS. But that is just too hard to really take a stand on I guess.

You MLK wannabes on your high horses who are demonizing people in NC are doing nothing but sowing the seeds of division in his country. You created an issue where there was none. Based on your idiotic liberal logic we're all bigots here in NC if we want to preserve the status quo on where society allows private parts to be exposed which, up until about 5 minutes ago, was universally accepted and not "discrimination".

Self righteous misguided Bruce just screwed us, his fans. Can't say I'm surprised "
    Hiya, Vedd. Agreed, many comments crossed the (ie, my own) line. It made those from the ones who voiced their views via a respectable even if angry road that much more valuable to me.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    KV4053 said:

I live in a place with no sense of community. I hate it. For a sense of belonging, I come here and a couple of other work related places.

The sense of community here has disappeared, to a large extent, in the last 24 hours.

I believe PJ is on the right side of history on this current issue. Next year, it's possible that discrimination will be mandated at the federal level. Please let whatever loud voices be heard now indicating to potential future leaders that their intolerance will not go unchecked. I can't scream loud enough. PJ, Springsteen, Google, Apple, etc can.

Sorry to the fans who lost money.

"money"?

you gotta be kidding me
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Posts: 5,902
    hedonist said:

While I learned general kindness from my parents, they rarely discussed social issues or advocated protest. But I remember hearing EV song "my body's nobody's body but mine" in a bootleg on 1995 and it changed me. I could right a book on the things he has said or sang that have shaped my world view, not always agreement, but independent thought and compassion.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale