Not For You!!

So maybe the good part (if there can be one) of the Raleigh situation will be to unload some excess baggage. For 25 years they have been socially conscious. It's part of why we (or just I) like them. We are not in this world alone. If you disagree with what they did..I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm sure the one's not affected have a different perspective than the one's that were. I had tickets to the show. I had to take vacation days. But, I have a son and want to do everything I can to show him the correct way to treat people and that sometimes doing the right thing means doing something that is not popular and may not be "fun". If anyone disagrees, then maybe PJ is "Not For You".
"Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved."--ARISTOTLE

Comments

• jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Correct way to treat people? I assume that by people you aren't talking about PJ fans who had already spent $$ in the state, had already traveled or made arrangements to do so, had already taken time from work, etc.., because that was the absolute worst way they could have treated those people.

I hope you also teach your son not to procrastinate making difficult decisions. I hope you also teach your son to honor his commitments. There are lots of good lessons here.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    edited April 2016
    So if we don't follow the band like sheep we can't be fans is the premise I get out of that post?

I've disagreed with this band on about 90% of the issues...I mean really Ralph Nader? Ill continue to be a fan of the music because I can separate the two, but what they did to the fan base at the last minute was wrong
    Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • They have always been more than the music. I don't know why people are getting so angry. Everyone needs to relax. And, like I said, maybe its only me who feels that way. I am very liberal, but I am not following them like sheep. I haven't agreed with everything they have chosen to do or say..(e.g. there were jokes on stage on one of last years bootlegs that I thought could be taken the wrong way---just like we all do sometimes). But it's very rare that I find someone(s) who is as left leaning as me. I respect both of your opinions, but this world is bigger than this forum. There are people this law really affects. I live in this backward-ass state and have for 45 years. I understand people are out money, and money is what makes the world go around. But we all need understand that some people can't even live in peace, in a supposedly democratic society because of laws like this. Like I said, I can totally see where you are coming from.
    Cheers

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,358
    I'm really getting tired of pompous fans lecturing others for thinking that maybe this isn't a black/white issue and just maybe there were other good choices that could have been made.

Please don't let your son fall from that high horse.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • I think that everyone agrees that this bigoted law needs to be overturned. From what I have read on the forum over the last couple of days, most PJ fans agree with that 100%. What Pearl Jam could have done was announce that this would be their last NC show until the law is repealed. They could also have given a portion of their profits to the groups that are involved in the fight against this law. And EV could have been as vocal as he likes on stage and while in NC about his views. But the issue is that the people who have suffered most by this decision by the band are the thousands of their own fans who had just 2 days notice, that's a pretty crap way to treat your own fans, surely?
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,743
    I'm always surprised when I hear about fans who expect Pearl Jam to just "shut up and sing" as if all of the sudden they will stop caring about social and environmental issues. The choice is up to the fan- it's what Pearl Jam does- take it or leave it. It's just that simple. There's always other great bands out there. I used to like some of Nugent's stuff until l he got all Glenn Becky. Fine by me. I stopped listening to the guy, that's all.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152

I'm really getting tired of pompous fans lecturing others for thinking that maybe this isn't a black/white issue and just maybe there were other good choices that could have been made.

::mic drop::
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • jasonwjasonw Posts: 390

::mic drop::

+ 1
  • StevieGStevieG Posts: 850

Bingo
    Barrie, ON - Aug 22, 1998
    London, ON - Sep 12, 2005
    Toronto, ON - Aug 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    Hamilton, ON- Sep 15 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • I'm just glad I don't have the anger and negativity of some people on this forum. It's just a concert. I'm not lecturing anyone...It's my opinion. I never said it was a black or white issue. There were several options...they chose the one they thought was best for them. And I totally understand why some people are upset. But, IN MY OPINION, the anger is being directed at the wrong people. Respect it and move on.

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680

I think that everyone agrees that this bigoted law needs to be overturned. From what I have read on the forum over the last couple of days, most PJ fans agree with that 100%. What Pearl Jam could have done was announce that this would be their last NC show until the law is repealed. They could also have given a portion of their profits to the groups that are involved in the fight against this law. And EV could have been as vocal as he likes on stage and while in NC about his views. But the issue is that the people who have suffered most by this decision by the band are the thousands of their own fans who had just 2 days notice, that's a pretty crap way to treat your own fans, surely?

This X10000

Its not a matter of being 100% for them cancelling the show OR you hate gays and are not sensitive to others' rights.

It is possible to agree with the views AND think this was/is a lame move... WHILE still liking the band