Please play "Get Right" in Columbia. Signed NC resident.

jjheel13jjheel13 Posts: 229
edited April 2016 in The Porch
When Pearl Jam cancelled Raleigh yesterday, I have never as been as happy with the band as I am today. I'm from NC and currently live in Durham. Sure, the 30 minute drive to see the guys would have been awesome but at the end of the day it's only a rock show. People's livelihoods are at stake and this was a damned if you do, damned if you don't decisions. I was ashamed to tell people in Greenville and Hampton that I was from NC. It's not something to be proud of in this day and age with all the hoopla and downright crippling effect that HB2 has on people's lives.

I'm mid- twenties and currently work in a Prison. I never knew until we started getting transgender inmates in just how hard it is on these people. When your not actively being looked down upon, the eyes in the back of you head always makes you cautious and weary. This is what I've been told. I have gay friends whose right to the same livelihood that I enjoy is being threatened. This isn't right. It's 2016. I firmly believe that in 30-40 years we will look back on this fucked up bill the same as people view segregation now.

I'm proud of you Pearl Jam for cancelling this show. This is a matter that had to be addressed in the most extreme way possible. Other states that are enacting legislation similar and those that already do better take note. And if you have kids that were traveling to Raleigh then use this as a learning experience.

Bristow 10
Boston 10
Moline 14
Greenville 16
Hampton 16
Columbia 16
Post edited by jjheel13 on

Comments