PJ thanks for punishing your fans instead of the N.C politicians.

PJINFLAPJINFLA Posts: 729
I have never given a damn about your political beliefs and now I have lost respect for all of you for putting your political issues above the fans who pay your bills. I'm sure this stunt will have a big effect on the situation just like your battle with Ticketmaster
resolved all of those problems.
4/22/92 St. Petersburg, 8/23/92 Orlando, 3/29/94 St. Petersburg, 10/7/96 Ft. Lauderdale, 9/8/98 East Rutherford, 9/22/98 West Palm Beach, 9/23/98 West Palm Beach, 8/9/00 West Palm Beach, 8/10/00 West Palm Beach, 8/12/00 Tampa, 4/11/03 West Palm Beach, 4/13/03 Tampa, 6/2/03 Irvine, 6/3/03 Irvine, 9/28/04 Boston, 9/29/04 Boston, 9/1/05 George WA, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 9/12/05 London, 9/13/05 Hamilton, 10/03/05 Philadelphia, 5/16/06 Chicago, 5/17/06 Chicago, 6/23/06 Pittsburgh, 6/24/06 Cincinnati, 6/11/08, West Palm Beach, 6/12/08 Tampa, 6/19/08 Camden, 6/20/08 Camden, 8/23/09 Chicago, 8/24/09 Chicago, 10/27/09 Philadelphia, 10/28/09 Philadelphia, 10/30/09 Philadelphia, 10/31/09 Philadelphia, 5/18/10 New Jersey, 5/20/10 New York, 5/21/10 New York, 9/3/11 East Troy, 9/4/11 East Troy, 9/11/11 Toronto, 9/12/11 Toronto, 9/02/12 Philadelphia, 9/21/12 Pensacola, 7/19/13 Chicago, 10/18/13 Brooklyn, 10/19/13 Brooklyn, 11/23/13 LA, 10/24/13 LA, 11/16/13 Oklahoma City, 10/1/14 Cincinnati, 10/20/14 Milwaukee, 10/22/14 Denver, 4/8/16 Ft. Lauderdale, 4/9/16 Miami, 4/11/16 Tampa, 5/1/16 New York, 5/2/16 New York, 8/5/16 Boston, 8/7/16 Boston, 8/20/16 Chicago, 8/22/16 Chicago, 4/07/17 New York, 8/08/18 Seattle, 8/10/18 Seattle, 8/20/18 Chicago
9/02/18 Boston, 9/04/18 Boston, 9/11/22 New York, 9/16/22 Nashville, 9/22/22 Denver, 8/31/23, St. Paul, 9/2/23 St. Paul, 9/18/23 Austin, 9/19/23 Austin

Comments

• Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,592
    You lost all respect for a band that puts their beliefs over making money?
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    edited April 2016
    Vedd Hedd said:

it was very smart by them. Instead of getting taxed on the concert earnings and then making a nondeductible political contribution to change the law, they don't play the concert to achieve what their dollars would have and not get taxed in the process. Pretty smart.

Vedd Hedd said:

it was very smart by them. Instead of getting taxed on the concert earnings and then making a nondeductible political contribution to change the law, they don't play the concert to achieve what their dollars would have and not get taxed in the process. Pretty smart.
    I agree there are many ways that people can handle this. Either response will creat conversation.

But the post is about losing respect for a band because they put their convictions over making money...which is....weird.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    edited April 2016
    Vedd Hedd said:

Vedd Hedd said:

I agree there are many ways that people can handle this. Either response will creat conversation.

But the post is about losing respect for a band because they put their convictions over making money...which is....weird.
    I don't think that's the argument. I think the argument is they put their convictions ahead of their fans. Lots of fans out hundreds (maybe even over a thousand dollars depending how far they have to travel).

The guys in the band aren't hurting for money. Missing one show isn't going to make it break it for them. Several hundred dollars to $1000 for a fan. That's probably more to them than one concert for a band member. Might of been their entire vacation fund.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    Vedd Hedd said:

Most days on here, they're getting accused of the opposite.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    edited April 2016
    Vedd Hedd said:

Vedd Hedd said:

Yeah, they screwed their fans here. They could have announced a week ago. This was intentional and is why I am pissed off and have canceled my plans for Columbia too. I wish I could cancel the rest of my 11 shows this tour but have already booked too many non-refundable travel expenses, and want to spend time with friends. I have zero interest in seeing a PJ show right now. That will change over time but right now it is at zero percent.
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,614
    You know that your job is to vote these people out of office, right? This is how it works.
  • cl288267cl288267 Posts: 3
    PJ is " TO BIG TO FAIL" They can screw Fans over and play follow the leader behind "THE BOSS"
    Springstein. Decide to pull to of NC for reasons that actually do not matter to them. Should have , decided to do this 3 weeks ago when the legislature was into effect SO SO SHALLOW!!!!! JIMMY BUFFETT SAID HE WILL NOT PULL OUT OF N.C. HE IS PLAYING SAME ARENA THE NEXT NIGHT. HE STATED HE SUPPORTS HIS FAN BASE OVER POLITICIANS AND STUPID LAWS .
    Any Band could pick reason in any Country/State/City to cancel a show. Never thought this band would. "THE SHOW MUST GO ON" STAGE,AUDIENCE,MICROPHONE, PROBABLY MORE EFFECTIVE TO VOICE YOUR OPINION. EDDIE HAS SAID THAT SO MANY TIMES. PJ MADE THE WRONG DECISION, I AM ASSUMING BECAUSE IT IS A STATE THAT THEY DO NOT CARE TOO MUCH ABOUT.
    LETS SEE WHAT THEY COULD PULL OUT OF PA OR NY FOR?
  • jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    Horrible decision by the band. Play the show, speak your mind, donate proftis, don't screw your loyal fans out of hundreds of dollars.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    Pearl jam shit on their fans plain and simple..anyone who defends this Bruce kiss ass move is a brainless moron...the fans made this band they aren't shit without us...they jumped on the what is cool at the moment LGBT movement

Their politics have been tiring since day 1...I've dealt with it cause of my love of the music but screwing over your fans time and time again is enough

Seriously shut up and sing
  • TL170678TL170678 Posts: 422

Vedd Hedd said:

Vedd Hedd said:

Yeah, they screwed their fans here. They could have announced a week ago. This was intentional and is why I am pissed off and have canceled my plans for Columbia too. I wish I could cancel the rest of my 11 shows this tour but have already booked too many non-refundable travel expenses, and want to spend time with friends. I have zero interest in seeing a PJ show right now. That will change over time but right now it is at zero percent.
    Man I was debating not going to Lexington now....I just do not want to fuck my friend over who took off work....I`m not going to enjoy being there.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    edited April 2016
    I never realized there were so many 'me,me,me's' on these boards.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,188
    eddiec said:

Please. A lot of people got screwed over (some over a lot of money) when they feel they didn't have to be. Find a way to protest and do right by the paying fans, instead of picking a way to protest 48h before the show and fucking people over.

This action won't have any effect on anything. They should have gathered in their music community to decide that from now on to not play NC and push that out on all media. Get Bruce, Neil, etc onboard and it could make a big splash. But hey, they couldn't get any big bands onboard for the ticketmaster fight so... yeah.

Still. Calling people "me me me's" and stuff in this case. Please.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859

eddiec said:

Please. A lot of people got screwed over (some over a lot of money) when they feel they didn't have to be. Find a way to protest and do right by the paying fans, instead of picking a way to protest 48h before the show and fucking people over.

This action won't have any effect on anything. They should have gathered in their music community to decide that from now on to not play NC and push that out on all media. Get Bruce, Neil, etc onboard and it could make a big splash. But hey, they couldn't get any big bands onboard for the ticketmaster fight so... yeah.

Bullshit. When I woke up today this was already on BBC news. You don't think the band thought long and hard on this one. Look at the big picture. Would I be pissed if I had tickets? Of course. That's normal. But yes, a lot of people on here are acting like me'me'me's. Sorry.

• hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    TL170678 said:

Vedd Hedd said:

Vedd Hedd said:

Man I was debating not going to Lexington now....I just do not want to fuck my friend over who took off work....I`m not going to enjoy being there.
    Yeah sure.... If you say so.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
    pjalive21 said:

Pearl jam shit on their fans plain and simple..anyone who defends this Bruce kiss ass move is a brainless moron...the fans made this band they aren't shit without us...they jumped on the what is cool at the moment LGBT movement

Their politics have been tiring since day 1...I've dealt with it cause of my love of the music but screwing over your fans time and time again is enough

With their music being so political, how do you stand their music? Their politics are tiring? Really? Shut up and sing about what?
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • pjalive21 said:

I think Nickleback or Justin Bieber might be a better fit for you.
    Music with no politics behind it or soul or anything.

Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
    2007 Wmbly London
    2009 SBE London / O2 London
    2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
    2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,765
    eddiec said:

eddiec said:

Bullshit. When I woke up today this was already on BBC news. You don't think the band thought long and hard on this one. Look at the big picture. Would I be pissed if I had tickets? Of course. That's normal. But yes, a lot of people on here are acting like me'me'me's. Sorry.

What does it being on the news solve? Publicity has not changed their minds. Neither has money. A PJ show isn't.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    To those who think that this will have no effect...
    http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article71223992.html
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Vedd Hedd said:

To those who think that this will have no effect...
    http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article71223992.html

If people really want to make a difference, find out who the campaign contributors are to the politicians who supported this and boycott their businesses and interests.
    9\28\04 - Boston 5\25\06 - Boston 6\28\08 - Mansfield 8\27\09 - Chicago 5\15\10 - Hartford EV - In Providence on the night the Bruins won the Cup! 7\19\13 - Chicago 10\25\13 - Hartford 4\28\16 - Philly 4\29\16 - Philly 8\5\16 - Fenway 8\7\16 - Fenway
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,688
    edited April 2016
    pjalive21 said:

"The politics has been tiring since day 1"?
    Maybe you should have reconsidered your support of the band. You know....listening when their sings came on the radio, buying the cds and albums, and buying concert tickets, shirts, and merch. All of that is supportive of a band whose politics and cultural beliefs you clearly don't agree with. By doing that you give tacit approval and support to their politics.

"Screwing fans over time and time again"?
    Please elaborate.

"The LGBT movement" as you call it has been around for close to 50 years and people who identify as LGBT have been around since time began.
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • pjalive21 said:

screwing over your fans time and time again

do tell? as long as i've followed this band, i don't really recall this type of repetitive behavior. i'd love for you to elaborate.
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,614
    eddiec said:

You must be new here.
  • Lumpy1661Lumpy1661 Posts: 264
    I feel bad for fans that had tix, travel, $$ invested in that show. I feel worse for people that are discriminated against for who they are. Timing wasn't great but in the big picture I'm personally onboard with this decision. Just my opinion
  • Lumpy1661 said:

I feel bad for fans that had tix, travel, $$ invested in that show. I feel worse for people that are discriminated against for who they are. Timing wasn't great but in the big picture I'm personally onboard with this decision. Just my opinion

They should have canceled earlier if they were going to cancel. I feel bad for the folks who are now stuck with a hotel room.
    9\28\04 - Boston 5\25\06 - Boston 6\28\08 - Mansfield 8\27\09 - Chicago 5\15\10 - Hartford EV - In Providence on the night the Bruins won the Cup! 7\19\13 - Chicago 10\25\13 - Hartford 4\28\16 - Philly 4\29\16 - Philly 8\5\16 - Fenway 8\7\16 - Fenway
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,358
    Lumpy1661 said:

And certainly a valid opinion. Thanks for bringing some civility to the discussion.

I disagree with the choice, but it's not my band. They get to make that choice. I'm bummed as I had GA lined up and was looking forward to a show only 1.5 hours away. I feel bad for all the fans. But I do understand that the issue is much bigger than a rock concert. Again, I just think if you are a politically active band you use you stage/voice. They think, in this case, it was better to give that up and silence made a bigger noise.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited April 2016
    Boycotts don't hurt the elite... the owner of the arena will be fine, it only hurts the guy at the food stand making $9 an hour who is now out of a nights work

When the USA invaded Iraq, should they have boycotted the states? Will they boycott every location that has laws or politics they disagree with?
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • NF86022NF86022 Posts: 8
    It's just a shitty way to protest. They probably could've raised a bunch of money for the cause but instead they just piss off the fans and waste our money. I just thought they were better than that. Thought it was all about the fans and the music.
  • HoccapukHoccapuk Posts: 532
    I think that's the point many of us are trying to make, silence and boycotting don't do near as much as using the platform they had, putting on a bad ass concert and making it about the issues that matter. Many people agree that the law is garbage but it's how it was handled. Sure people would have complained about the show being to political but people are always going to complain and they would have been the minority. Most people would have been ok with it. Now there are just a TON of disgruntled fans.
  • Lumpy1661Lumpy1661 Posts: 264

Lumpy1661 said:

And certainly a valid opinion. Thanks for bringing some civility to the discussion.

I disagree with the choice, but it's not my band. They get to make that choice. I'm bummed as I had GA lined up and was looking forward to a show only 1.5 hours away. I feel bad for all the fans. But I do understand that the issue is much bigger than a rock concert. Again, I just think if you are a politically active band you use you stage/voice. They think, in this case, it was better to give that up and silence made a bigger noise.
    Well put. Great perspective.

I believe that with so many differing opinions and logical points of view, that this must have been an extremely difficult decision for the band and must have weighed heavily on them. A possible explanation for the "last minute" decision?

At any rate, I really do sympathize with those that had plans to attend.

Hopefully some good will come of this and that law and ones similar to it will come to an end.