Pearl Jam cancels Lexington show?

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,188
edited April 2016 in The Porch
I mean, they have to?

towleroad.com/2016/03/kentucky-senate-passes-license-discriminate-bill/

Kentucky’s Senate on Tuesday passed a ‘religious freedom’ bill that provides businesses in the state a carte blanche license to discriminate against LGBT citizens.

Senate Bill 180 was proposed by Senator Albert Robinson (R) and was passed with an amendment that attempted to limit the scope of the bill. The bill received 22 votes in favor and 16 against.

The bill will undo 8 LGBT nondiscrimination measures in Kentucky, specifically measures in Covington, Danville, Frankfort, Lexington, Louisville, Midway, Morehead and Vicco.
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Tagged:

Comments

• I hate to say it but they set the precedent with canceling the North Carolina show. If this is true then the Lexington Kentucky show needs to be canceled as well.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,188
    edited April 2016

I hate to say it but they set the precedent with canceling the North Carolina show. If this is true then the Lexington Kentucky show needs to be canceled as well.

The If-Bruce-does-it-we'll-do-it-Doctrine must be honored.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • patkelly12patkelly12 Posts: 361
    Cancel every show. Every one is offensive. Be done with it already.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    Can't they be ticky tack and cancel show everywhere
  • If "stupid laws" is the precedent, I think we should all look forward to our next PJ show live from the moon.
  • Shit move by these guys. I have tix for Lexington and wonder if they will cancel. Fuck em, cancel it I don't care anymore.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,765
    This has been my point since Bruce cancelled and people assumed PJ would. Kentucky, Florida, South Carolina, Florida, Virginia, Tennessee and Louisiana all have anti lgbt laws. If the cancelled all of them I would respect it but choosing one because Bruce did is hypocritical.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • The AkkusThe Akkus Posts: 1,095
    edited April 2016
    The law hasn't been signed in. Way different than the NC situation. The bill passed the republican led senate, but now has to be sent to the house. The house has a democratic majority. Stop posting stuff for clicks. Someone posted the below article on FB. This is not a Kentucky law and will not be.

http://www.advocate.com/politics/2016/3/15/kentucky-senate-passes-license-discriminate-bill
    Post edited by The Akkus on
    1998 - Noblesville * Knoxville
    2000 - Noblesville * Cincinnati * Columbus
    2003 - Lexington * East Troy * Noblesville* Columbus
    2006 - Cincinnati
    2008 - NYC night 1 * NYC night 2
    2009 - EV Solo Nashville
    2010 - Columbus * Noblesville * Cleveland
    2011 - East Troy night 1 * East Troy night 2
    2014 - Cincinnati
    2016 - Greenville * Lexington
    2022 - Louisville
    2024 - Noblesville
  • akkakk Posts: 9
    Well, maybe now we can get a date or two in Denver? Red Rocks discriminates against nobody, heck, we even give the front row to the disabled. Get on it it PJ!!!
  • EP1973EP1973 Posts: 112
    ComeToTX said:

This has been my point since Bruce cancelled and people assumed PJ would. Kentucky, Florida, South Carolina, Florida, Virginia, Tennessee and Louisiana all have anti lgbt laws. If the cancelled all of them I would respect it but choosing one because Bruce did is hypocritical.

Wrong on VA and KY...Virginia's Governor vetoed the VA bill and it has no chance of override. The KY bill will never pass their house. As for the other states, I have no idea...but I know the VA and KY situations for sure.
  • The AkkusThe Akkus Posts: 1,095
    EP1973 said:

ComeToTX said:

Wrong on VA and KY...Virginia's Governor vetoed the VA bill and it has no chance of override. The KY bill will never pass their house. As for the other states, I have no idea...but I know the VA and KY situations for sure.
    EP1973 said:

ComeToTX said:

Exactly. "Passing the senate" does not mean shit, because there are other chambers that it has to pass. Sounds like the OP was more worried about getting "likes" and "clicks" than he was getting the information correct and understanding legal terminology. He posted this same stuff like 4 times in different facebook groups to get the quick reaction and be the cool guy who gets to break the news, but turns out, he looks like someone with reading comprehension issues and a poor understanding of how government works.
    1998 - Noblesville * Knoxville
    2000 - Noblesville * Cincinnati * Columbus
    2003 - Lexington * East Troy * Noblesville* Columbus
    2006 - Cincinnati
    2008 - NYC night 1 * NYC night 2
    2009 - EV Solo Nashville
    2010 - Columbus * Noblesville * Cleveland
    2011 - East Troy night 1 * East Troy night 2
    2014 - Cincinnati
    2016 - Greenville * Lexington
    2022 - Louisville
    2024 - Noblesville
  • PP193448PP193448 Posts: 4,281
    Plus there's only maybe 10% PJ fans going to the Lexington show actually from Kentucky, the rest are out of state...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138

If "stupid laws" is the precedent, I think we should all look forward to our next PJ show live from the moon.

The moon discriminates against non-americans. Fuck the moon and it's discriminatory intergalactic views.
  • dirty_mikedirty_mike Posts: 131
    They'll only cancel if Bruce does.
  • CapnBobCapnBob Posts: 369
    Jason P said:

If "stupid laws" is the precedent, I think we should all look forward to our next PJ show live from the moon.

The moon discriminates against non-americans. Fuck the moon and it's discriminatory intergalactic views.
    I lost the lottery for the Mars show... still bummed..
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
  • If "stupid laws" is the precedent, I think we should all look forward to our next PJ show live from the moon.

Now that would be an amazing concert and I bet it would be the place to play Backspacer in full.
    That show would be better than any Gorge show.
    See the path cut by the moon......for you to walk on.
  • I mean, they have to?

Kentucky’s Senate on Tuesday passed a ‘religious freedom’ bill that provides businesses in the state a carte blanche license to discriminate against LGBT citizens.

Senate Bill 180 was proposed by Senator Albert Robinson (R) and was passed with an amendment that attempted to limit the scope of the bill. The bill received 22 votes in favor and 16 against.

The bill will undo 8 LGBT nondiscrimination measures in Kentucky, specifically measures in Covington, Danville, Frankfort, Lexington, Louisville, Midway, Morehead and Vicco.

OP - Did you have tix to NC?
  • PP193448PP193448 Posts: 4,281
    edited April 2016
    Most people that go to the moon show would be from out of state... And the space X shuttle is non refundable 250k ticket... So if they cancelled then a lot of people would be pissed... :lol:
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • PP193448 said:

Most people that go to the moon show would be from out of state... And the space X shuttle is non refundable 250k ticket... So if they cancelled then a lot of people would be pissed... :lol:

the line for GA was all the way back to Crater Nine. I said "fuck it", I'm going site seeing.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,188

I mean, they have to?

OP - Did you have tix to NC?
    No. But my brother is at this very moment booking tickets to Captain America: Civil War here in Sweden.
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    Boy, this backfired, OP.

To stuff some substance into this post: Here's a similar proposal in Tennessee, the sponsor of which is now breaking into a retreat: http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2016/04/18/tenn-trans-bill-sponsor-drops-it.html
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • BN113707BN113707 Posts: 19
    South Carolina should be cancelled long before NC for failing to pass legislation to prosecute hate crimes as such. They are one of only 5 states that have failed to pass a bill. I mean, how is this any less offensive to lesbians, gays and minorities? If you're going to cancel a show to show "solidarity" then lets really get down to it and look for reasons to cancel them all. It's only fair, right? Unless of course, it's YOUR show. Then fuck what's right and wrong.....right?
    BN113707 said:

South Carolina should be cancelled long before NC for failing to pass legislation to prosecute hate crimes as such. They are one of only 5 states that have failed to pass a bill. I mean, how is this any less offensive to lesbians, gays and minorities? If you're going to cancel a show to show "solidarity" then lets really get down to it and look for reasons to cancel them all. It's only fair, right? Unless of course, it's YOUR show. Then fuck what's right and wrong.....right?

I had 10C tickets to Raleigh and fully support the cancellation ...
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
  • patkelly12patkelly12 Posts: 361
    Weird how the social justice warriors totally support this move and yet weren't calling for boycotts when the law came out. I understand not acting before Clooney & Co gave the go-ahead but still...
    I live in SC and haven't been back to NC or spent a dime in that state since the law came out... used to be about a monthly trip to Charlotte
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
  • BN113707BN113707 Posts: 19
    I'm sure Charlotte will miss your dime.
    every dollar and tax dollar counts ... I am only one of many and it does make a difference
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016