Other bands protest HB2 without fucking fans over.

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,188
edited April 2016 in The Porch
pitchfork.com/news/64859-duran-duran-cyndi-lauper-mumford-sons-support-north-carolina-lgbtq-rights-organizations/

I mean come on. Cancelling a show 48H before and using your fans as ammunition is really a better method than;

– Donating all proceeds to a cause to fight the law
– Webcasting the show for free, or show it on screens outside the venue while vocally protest on stage
– Release an EP from the show with proceeds going to a cause to fight the law
– Organize some protest or similiar in the city of the day of the show. Or something around the venue.
– Advertise it as "the last NC show till the law is changed"

Or whatever else that can be brainstormed together.

If they gave the challenge to a PR-company I bet you they could come up with ways to protest that would A) not fuck fans over and B) Would make more people talk about and C) give more effect.
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
Tagged:

Comments

• shawndyershawndyer Posts: 270
    Spot on. I had tickets.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    edited April 2016
    I agree and I didn't have tix.

Edit because I don't think they are F'ing fans over, I just think it could have been handled differently.
    Post edited by SVRDhand13 on
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,130
    Yep. I can't defend waiting so long to make a decision they could have announced a week ago.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Edved007Edved007 Posts: 1,033
    JimmyV said:

Yep. I can't defend waiting so long to make a decision they could have announced a week ago.

Exactly. That's my only complaint, and a very valid one. North Carolina is still going to be getting money from me because I'm flying in, staying, and have to eat anyway until I waste enough time to make the drive to Columbia the next day. If they did this a week ago maybe I would have had time to change flights/hotels.
    95' - 7/9
    98' - 6/26, 6/27, 6/29, 8/26, 9/22
    03' - 4/25
    06' - 6/29, 6/30
    07' - 8/05
    09' - 8/23
    11' - 9/03, 9/04
    12' - 9/30
    13' - 7/16, 7/19, 10/21, 10/22, 11/15, 11/16, 12/06
    14' - 06/28, 06/29, 10/1, 10/03, 10/16, 10/17, 10/20, 10/22
    15' - 11/20, 11/22
    16' - 4/21, 4/26, 4/28, 4/29, 5/1, 5/2, 7/9, 8/5, 8/7, 8/20, 8/22
    17' - 4/7
    18' - 7/1, 7/3, 7/5, 8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20, 9/4
    21' - 10/1, 10/2
    22' - 7/12, 7/14, 9/6, 9/8
  • + 1
    those ideas are the way to twist it around for the good
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 14,991
    Someone once said... You can't be neutral on a moving train
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• haven't been this many members and guests on the board since
    spring tour lottery announcements
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,188
    on2legs said:

There are many ways to not stay neutral, as I tried to point out in the OP.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 14,991

on2legs said:

Yes, but it's their band and their decision on how to run it. In every relationship in life people are going to disagree with one another. Doesn't mean they don't love you. They're just doing what they think is best.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    on2legs said:

Why did they finally get the train moving 2 days before it was supposed to arrive? PJ hasn't been on a moving train for the past few weeks it seems.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    on2legs said:

on2legs said:

Yes, but it's their band and their decision on how to run it. In every relationship in life people are going to disagree with one another. Doesn't mean they don't love you. They're just doing what they think is best.
    Yes, it is their decision. And I think it's a very poor decision and shows a lack of understanding for their fans that to be honest baffles me.

haven't been this many members and guests on the board since
    spring tour lottery announcements

Are you saying there is a master plan to get the board active again? :)
  • hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    People seem really upset missing out on NC merch.

Don't worry the merch train will be chugging the down the track in no time. All the people upset and angry will buy the next vinyl vault release and all will be forgiven.

I'm glad PJ took a stand.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • HoccapukHoccapuk Posts: 532
    The thing I don't understand is the band has a platform from which to speak that most politicians would give both their arms for and instead of using it, they walk away. Sure It shows solidarity and may or may not have a financial impact etc... but don't you think they would gain more and move the issue along further by utilizing the concert stage every other night? As others have already suggested, put video screens outside or live stream the show and get the message to millions. My point is they could have made a much larger impact by still playing then by canceling and gave up and excellent opportunity to do such in my opinion.
  • serpent boyserpent boy Posts: 372
    Hoccapuk said:

The thing I don't understand is the band has a platform from which to speak that most politicians would give both their arms for and instead of using it, they walk away. Sure It shows solidarity and may or may not have a financial impact etc... but don't you think they would gain more and move the issue along further by utilizing the concert stage every other night? As others have already suggested, put video screens outside or live stream the show and get the message to millions. My point is they could have made a much larger impact by still playing then by canceling and gave up and excellent opportunity to do such in my opinion.

This is a good point. It seems to go against what most LGBTQA activists including Laura Jane Grace of against me are touting. Why not do something bigger to make your voice heard? This is an extremely negative way of handling the situation that DOESN'T reach thousands of fans who would've otherwise attended.
    00: Va Beach, 03: Bristow, 04: Reading, 05: Atlantic City 2x
    06: Camden, Washington DC, 08: Va Beach, Washington DC
    09: Philly 2+3, 10: Bristow, 11: East Troy PJ20 1+2, 13: Baltimore, Charlottesville
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Hoccapuk said:

It would impact a limited few in attendance each night. Think of the concerts you've attended where a band makes some political statement. How many of them do you remember? Politicians don't care if a few bands are speaking out against their laws. It accomplishes nothing. But bands start to get together and boycott the state? That's when their ears perk up.
  • JM44800JM44800 Posts: 106
    If you go over to the Given to Fly on the forum, they addressed the cancellation during the show last night. They felt that the best course of action was to boycott. Could they have done it earlier? Maybe, but we don't actually know for sure as we were not part of the discussions and in the room when this was being discussed. Sounds like they were still trying to figure this out as recently as yesterday before officially cancelling the gig. I had tickets to the show, I was traveling to the show, I get why people are pissed, but this is what they felt was the best choice. I am sure they realized how this would potentially impact those that are traveling and with hotels etc and it was a really tough call. I don't agree that they are f'ing over their fans, but I also understand why those that arranged flights/hotels and can't get their money back would be very upset. The guys in the band have never struck me as being dumb or hurtful in any way to their fans in over 25 years. I would assume they sat down and tried to figure this out and included their manager, people they trust, and people that they work with when it comes to making the best decisions on a lot of different issues. Seems like they feel this law is bigger than them and a rock show and determined that boycotting was the way to got. I am bummed I will not get to see them tomorrow night, was really looking forward to it. Looking at the bigger picture and as someone that lives in NC, I support their decision and others that do the same and boycott. I also support those that choose to play and donate money or what have you. To me there is no wrong answer with this and not everyone will be completely happy with whatever they or any band decide.

Eddie:
    "It was a hard process because we thought we could still play and make things right and we could fortify all the people on the ground working to repeal this despicable law. We thought we could take the money and give it to them and still play the show but the reality is there is nothing like the immense power like boycotting and putting a strain and it’s a shame because people are going to affected that don’t deserve it but it could be the way that ultimately is gonna effect change so again, we just couldn’t find it in ourselves in good conscience to cross a picket line when there was a movement so…"