What this incredibly stupid band does not realize...

jakesevenjakeseven Posts: 15
edited April 2016 in Given To Fly (live)
This law is purely the work of a handful of politicians. They don't even come to close to representing an overwhelming majority of State's opinion on the matter. The engines are already moving to appeal this. It wasn't going to happen in weeks.

So who did Pearl Jam show? Who did they best? Not an entire state worth of fans. A few, old, backwards right wing politicians.

Good job fellas. You really showed a bunch of old hacks who have never heard of your band.

Comments

• ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Posts: 614
    This totally ruins my show in Hampton tonight since I flew from Seattle for Hampton and Raleigh.
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • jakesevenjakeseven Posts: 15
    It gave fans two days to find a new show. Thank god Columbia is only two hours a way.

What people don't understand is people in this state are voicing their strong opposition to this. What doesn't help is 75% of this state are transplants or military who vote elsewhere. All over the major cities people are doing the best they can to voice their opinion. Are they turning of cars and lightning them on fire, no.
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 2,100
    ZeldaZonk said:

This totally ruins my show in Hampton tonight since I flew from Seattle for Hampton and Raleigh.

I think Hampton will be the best show of the tour, the band will be at their passionate best tonight. Wish I was going!
    'F*** the pessimists. F*** 'em.' Eddie Vedder
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    ZeldaZonk said:

I know it will be tough but try to enjoy tonight and forget about Wednesday. Tonight will be special.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • I understand upset from flying across the country, but Raleigh was my only show that I could attend- so bitter. Never thought I'd be mad at PJ.
    I'm still alive!
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,592
    My response from another thread....
    Vedd Hedd said:

I would definitely be upset if a concert i was going to got cancelled, esp if I had a hotel room, flight, etc. I would also be upset if i wasnt afforded the basic freedom to use the restroom that suits my gender.

Its sorta like being white, and being uspet that the bus was cancelled because Rosa Parks wasnt allowed in the front. Yes, you can be upset you didnt get to work that day....but a whole group of people dont have some basic rights. So, in the end, I would understand. Its definitely upsetting when you dont get to see the band you love. But its more upsetting when a huge group of americans are being denied rights.

My suggestion...if you have unrefundable tickets, see if you can transfer them to another state. If not, go on your vacation and enjoy your pto, knowing that you dont have to worry about some of the same problems that trans people have to deal with. And maybe join the fight.

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    jakeseven said:

This law is purely the work of a handful of politicians. They don't even come to close to representing an overwhelming majority of State's opinion on the matter. The engines are already moving to appeal this. It wasn't going to happen in weeks.

So who did Pearl Jam show? Who did they best? Not an entire state worth of fans. A few, old, backwards right wing politicians.

Good job fellas. You really showed a bunch of old hacks who have never heard of your band.

The news coverage generated will be great for the cause. Not just in NC but the country and world over. Bands like Pearl Jam and Bruce, making these bold statements with the almighty dollar is often the only way to get through to the masses and lawmakers, not just locally, but nationally and globally.
  • Vedd Hedd said:

My response from another thread....

Vedd Hedd said:

I would definitely be upset if a concert i was going to got cancelled, esp if I had a hotel room, flight, etc. I would also be upset if i wasnt afforded the basic freedom to use the restroom that suits my gender.

Its sorta like being white, and being uspet that the bus was cancelled because Rosa Parks wasnt allowed in the front. Yes, you can be upset you didnt get to work that day....but a whole group of people dont have some basic rights. So, in the end, I would understand. Its definitely upsetting when you dont get to see the band you love. But its more upsetting when a huge group of americans are being denied rights.

My suggestion...if you have unrefundable tickets, see if you can transfer them to another state. If not, go on your vacation and enjoy your pto, knowing that you dont have to worry about some of the same problems that trans people have to deal with. And maybe join the fight.

I love this. Well said.
  • LukinAtULukinAtU Posts: 791
    They needed to hold the show, voice their opinion in the media and donate all proceeds to support the cause
  • jakesevenjakeseven Posts: 15
    It was so incredibly short sighted it was offensive. It would have been my 20th show, so I'll get it over in an hour.
    Wilds said:

jakeseven said:

The news coverage generated will be great for the cause. Not just in NC but the country and world over. Bands like Pearl Jam and Bruce, making these bold statements with the almighty dollar is often the only way to get through to the masses and lawmakers, not just locally, but nationally and globally.
    Do you remember the vote for change tour? What did that accomplish? I'm sorry but rock and roll bands do not have the money and influence as the major political players who influence legislation. Common people have more of an influence. Someone mentioned in another thread the best thing they could have done, and this is for any band that has cancelled, is play the show and preach their message to an arena full of pople.
  • SeaSea Posts: 3,014
    Please remember: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines
    Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here.
This discussion has been closed.