New Orleans Song Request

jamofpearlsjamofpearls Florence, AL Posts: 347
edited April 2016 in The Porch
Would love to hear the Long Road in New Orleans.
Song has meant a great deal to me, since losing my brother last year.

Even went so far as to have part of the lyrics tattooed on my leg.
(Which now that I see the pic, I can see that I need some letters touched up.)
Look for me, my wife and my other brother, we'll be under this flag.
98-Birmingham, 00-Nashville, 03-Nashville, 12-Atlanta, 14-Memphis, 16-New Orleans, 18-Amsterdam, Night 1 & 2, 18-Seattle Night 2, 21-New Jersey, 22-Imola, 22-Nashville, 22-Louisville
Ed Solo: 17-Louisville
Post edited by jamofpearls on

Comments

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,992
    Yes! Would love to hear this to open the show.

RIP John
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    I don't know the story behind this request, i never met these fine men before, let alone talked to them, but please, pretty please, play Long Road at New Orleans show, preferably as an opener, btw, I'm not going to the show, but since I got my request once, I will help everybody to get his or her PJ white whale song... cheers...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• jamofpearlsjamofpearls Florence, AL Posts: 347
    Thanks, guys!
    98-Birmingham, 00-Nashville, 03-Nashville, 12-Atlanta, 14-Memphis, 16-New Orleans, 18-Amsterdam, Night 1 & 2, 18-Seattle Night 2, 21-New Jersey, 22-Imola, 22-Nashville, 22-Louisville

I don't know the story behind this request, i never met these fine men before, let alone talked to them, but please, pretty please, play Long Road at New Orleans show, preferably as an opener, btw, I'm not going to the show, but since I got my request once, I will help everybody to get his or her PJ white whale song... cheers...

Here's the story behind my request.
    My brother passed away, last year on August 29th.
    He was a guy that everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE knew and loved. Just an extremely great guy.

For his funeral, everyone in the immediate family got together and chose songs to be played at his funeral. Pearl Jam had a few in there from me. The Long Road was my number one choice. When my mom saw the lyrics and heard the song, she cried.
    His funeral was at my parents' church. So many people came, they filled the whole bottom level, and had to open up the top floor for seating.
    When we left to the burial spot, I've never ever seen a longer line of cars for a funeral. I couldn't see the end.

My dad had been on me for a while to get a tattoo of our family crest. In November, my brother, dad and I all got one. Afterward, my wife and I were at dinner, and I kept having this itching feeling in the back of my skull for one that really wanted done. Some of the lyrics to Long Road.
    As soon as we left, and got in my car, we turned on PJ radio, and sure enough, Long Road came on. I took it as an absolute sign to get it done.

Since then, when I'm feeling down, that song just appears on the radio, or google music.
    Its the good type of hurt when it plays.

John Oubre's story continues. We started a charity in his name called John Oubre 4 Antigua.
    Before he passed, he had gone with my dad to help put a roof on this church in a poor community in Antigua. John Oubre fell in love with the kids there. He would sneak them sandwiches and cake. He had planned on going back for about three months, a week before he passed. In John Oubre's name, we've raised well over $20,000 to send other people, to help finish the roof, hopefully build a school, kitchen and more. We're also working on helping local children in need, as well. You can see pics and more at JohnOubre4Antigua.org.

So...hearing the Long Road would just really really make my day.
    sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing the sotry, I really hope you get your song, one of my favs btw...

sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing the sotry, I really hope you get your song, one of my favs btw...

Many thanks!
    This threw should get more bumps bump

play Long Road on NOLA!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Play long road.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
    Bump

Long Road!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

Spinning I got ID now, Long Road next, Lost Dogs afterwards

Anyone going to be in New Orleans for the show?

I'll be there! Fuckin stoked. I just realized the other day that I haven't been to NOLA since 1983 (I was 6). I wonder if the place has changed??

Play Long Road!!!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• EchoesOnMarsEchoesOnMars Reading, Pennsylvania Posts: 422
    Long Road
    Philadelphia 2013 (Night 1)
    Philadelphia 2016 (Night 2)
    Upper Darby 2016 (Night 2) (Temple of the Dog)

• MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,288
    After seeing the SC setlist I am shooting for the moon. Open with Long Road and then break into Ten in its entirety. The perfect album to play at a festival!!
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
    LukinFan said:

I'll be there! Fuckin stoked. I just realized the other day that I haven't been to NOLA since 1983 (I was 6). I wonder if the place has changed??

Play Long Road!!!
    I've been pre and post Katrina. To me, its a lot cleaner. Bourbon will always be Bourbon. Food is still awesome.
  • CapnBobCapnBob Lexington, SC Posts: 369

LukinFan said:

Play Long Road!!!
    I've been pre and post Katrina. To me, its a lot cleaner. Bourbon will always be Bourbon. Food is still awesome.
    I will be there, I am a Louisiana native and haven't been back to NO since 06 and will be my wife's 1st trip there.. can't wait.. PJ in my home state and the best food in the world plus it is crawfish season!!
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
    CapnBob said:

LukinFan said:

Play Long Road!!!
    I will be there, I am a Louisiana native and haven't been back to NO since 06 and will be my wife's 1st trip there.. can't wait.. PJ in my home state and the best food in the world plus it is crawfish season!!
    As soon as we get into town, and check in, I'm finding a 190 octane and headed over to Pierre Masperos, and eating myself stupid.
    Having a hot garbage morning, have to run over to my wife's office.
    On the way back PJ radio plays Long Road. Morning somewhat better now.

CapnBob said:

LukinFan said:

Play Long Road!!!
    As soon as we get into town, and check in, I'm finding a 190 octane and headed over to Pierre Masperos, and eating myself stupid.
    right on! getting up 1st thing Friday morning, head should still be ringing from the concert Thursday night, and headed that way... I am gonna fast from now till then, LOL
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
    Bump

• Nothing is EverythingNothing is Everything LoUiSiAna Posts: 12
    edited April 2016
    I'll be there. Hoping to hear any of these: Immortality, Getaway, Inside job, Faithful, In Hiding, Dissident, Yellow Moon, Release, Life Wasted, Parting Ways ...hell I could go on and on. Long Road would be awesome as well. Probably only going to get 24 or 25 songs because it's a festival. But I hope it's an epic setlist.
    Post edited by Nothing is Everything on

I'll be there. Hoping to hear any of these: Immortality, Getaway, Inside job, Faithful, In Hiding, Dissident, Yellow Moon, Release, Life Wasted, Parting Ways ...hell I could go on and on. Long Road would be awesome as well. Probably only going to get 24 or 25 songs because it's a festival. Buy t hope it's an epic setlist.

That's a pretty strong list. I'd love for those to be played as well.
    by the schedule they have 3 hours of time blocked for PJ, correct? number of songs will depend on what time they take the stage, I am guessing we will get 2.5ish and will be a great set list, they seem to always have a strong festival list. The thing I am looking forward to the most is getting to see them play in the daylight... i think that in itself will be really cool.
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
    CapnBob said:

by the schedule they have 3 hours of time blocked for PJ, correct? number of songs will depend on what time they take the stage, I am guessing we will get 2.5ish and will be a great set list, they seem to always have a strong festival list. The thing I am looking forward to the most is getting to see them play in the daylight... i think that in itself will be really cool.

Looking at the schedule, Galactic plays til 3:50 and then they have Pearl Jam down from 4:30 - 7:00. 40 minutes to set up between bands and I think that 7:00 is a strict end time. When PJ played Jazz Fest in 2010 I was there and I think they only played 23 songs if my memory is correct. It was a great show with some rarities played but it did feel awfully short.

CapnBob said:

Looking at the schedule, Galactic plays til 3:50 and then they have Pearl Jam down from 4:30 - 7:00. 40 minutes to set up between bands and I think that 7:00 is a strict end time. When PJ played Jazz Fest in 2010 I was there and I think they only played 23 songs if my memory is correct. It was a great show with some rarities played but it did feel awfully short.
    right on - thanks for the clarity and insight .. this will be my 1st Jazz Fest ... can't wait!
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016

CapnBob said:

I think they only had two hours that year though, right?

www.RLMcDaniel.com

LukinFan said:

CapnBob said:

I think they only had two hours that year though, right?

You know you may be right about that.

I just finished watching the Vodoo Fest performance from 2013 on YouTube. Can't believe I missed that concert. That set list was killer and the band was on fire. Hoping Jazz Fest is just as great.