Getting around in Philly...

Yoeddy1Yoeddy1 Posts: 103
Hey guys,

Always wanted to see PJ in either Philly or NYC and as luck would have it, I was able to get tickets for my family for Philly 1&2! Once in a lifetime opportunity for us.

We're coming from Boise, Idaho and are staying at the Hilton Doubletree in city center. Not renting a car...just taking a shuttle or maybe a cab from the airport. Looks like there's a subway right across the street that will go to Wells Fargo Center and Citizen ballpark. Yeah, we'll hit the Phillies/Indians game on Saturday!

Rocky steps, Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, and of course a cheesesteak or two. ;)

Any advice on getting around, places to go, food, etc? We're walking the entire time except for the subway to the events, so any advice for this Idahoan family of 4 would be appreciate.

Thanks,
Jason
Restless soul...enjoy your youth!

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,404
    "South Street" is a pretty touristy thing to do. Check out independence square (liberty bell and all that), pat's or geno's for cheese steaks, eastern state pen for a good scare, reading terminal market for the best sandwich in america!!!, please touch museum is a cool place for kids, and also check out elfreth's alley.
    man what I wouldn't do to check out Idaho! One of 13 states I still need to visit! Good luck bud.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • B.O.J.11B.O.J.11 Posts: 123
    Easy to get around center city. Can walk almost anywhere, Indego bike share program is also available, or can take an uber/cab. I would definitely plan a stop at Reading Terminal Market.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,839
    mcgruff10 said:

"South Street" is a pretty touristy thing to do. Check out independence square (liberty bell and all that), pat's or geno's for cheese steaks, eastern state pen for a good scare, reading terminal market for the best sandwich in america!!!, please touch museum is a cool place for kids, and also check out elfreth's alley.
    man what I wouldn't do to check out Idaho! One of 13 states I still need to visit! Good luck bud.

South Street ain't what it used to be.

Phills have been playing well (well better than most people thought they would be)

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,990
    This page is a wealth of knowledge -

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/248968/philly-2016-roll-call/p24

You should be plenty good getting around by public trans/taxi/Uber/Lyft/bike/bike share.

If you need any advice or recs feel free to message me.
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,651
    I've stayed at the same hotel in the past for Springsteen at the Specturm and at Wells Fargo. Great location, easy to transport right to Broad Street sports complex...
  • GlttrGrrlGlttrGrrl Posts: 129
    Don't forget that those "Rocky" steps are attached to one of the best art museums in the world. The US Mint is super dorky awesome fun for nerds like me, especially if you time it right and get to see coins being made, but even if that's not happening, and it's FREE :)
  • Yoeddy1Yoeddy1 Posts: 103
    Thanks for the great information guys! Transportation from the airport to the hotel...cab or is there a good shuttle system?

Never ridden a subway in my life. Do you just buy the tokens where you catch the subway or can they be purchased at the hotel? Just looking for the best deals.

Thanks,
    Jason
    edited April 2016
    Yoeddy1 said:

Thanks for the great information guys! Transportation from the airport to the hotel...cab or is there a good shuttle system?

Never ridden a subway in my life. Do you just buy the tokens where you catch the subway or can they be purchased at the hotel? Just looking for the best deals.

Thanks,
    Jason

They're trying to get the subway to finally catch up with the rest of the modernized world with transit passes, but it's not going so hot. So, yes, you can buy tokens from a token machine (looks like a change machine, or a cashier window, where available). Tokens are the cheapest way @ $1.80/token. And you said the Doubletree right? So you're right next to the Walnut/Locust stop which has plenty of token machines so you're good - ya might want to download the SEPTA app and/or follow the BSL Septa twitter (Broad Street Line, it's orange) as well, just to check out times for rides (via the app) and if there are any delays (via Twitter).
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,404

mcgruff10 said:

South Street ain't what it used to be.

Phills have been playing well (well better than most people thought they would be)

haven't been in years. it's gone downhill?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Yoeddy1Yoeddy1 Posts: 103
    From the airport, I read about Liberty Shuttle service. 10 bucks per person one way to city center hotel. Might be better to do that instead of a cab.

Also any other good restaurant recommendations in the city center locations worth checking out?

Excited to see Philly!

Jason
    Again, probably best to refer to this thread - http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/248968/philly-2016-roll-call/ - for recs; you're in a great location for any and everything. If you're looking for something in particular though just let it be known and I'll throw something out there.