Dear Pearl Jam, Why don’t you guys play more Seattle concerts?

Comments

• OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,033
    I live in Nashville. The "It" city. You know. Music Ciry. And we haven't had a show since 2003. Perspective.
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,531
    Not the same though, I think the comparative would be like the Zac Brown Band dodging Nashville for a decade.

For a time, Pearl Jam played Seattle almost every year...often multiple times per year. They played fundraisers, their own shows, acoustic shows, Showbox shows, Gorge shows etc... But since then, they've played Vancouver more often, and in the last decade have only played 2 shows in Seattle in 2009 and one in 2013.

Eddie has alluded to the fact that crowds are better up here (in Vancouver) and elsewhere.

Ever since I've was able to drive in the mid-90's, I'd look forward to that once a year (usually fall) pilgrimage down to Seattle for the show. Since 2010 I've travelled to see them in England, the Netherlands, Australia, and the east coast & mid-west USA, and in that time have only seen them play a couple of shows in Seattle, all at Key Arena. They are very active in the community (i.e., Mike at games, Flight to Mars, EV just recently at Mike's 50th and at Bruce's show at Key Arena, EV popping up at Easy Street, etc..), so more local shows would be fantastic, especially if they got creative and looked to venues other than the Key Arena.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    Crowds suck.
    No offense, but Zac Brown is from Georgia. True he lives here now but didn't start here. The better comparison to Nashville would be Kings of Leon who played their first ever show at Slowbar and the lack of shows they play here would be similar. Sure they played NYE this year for all the tourists down on Broadway in freezing temps but they have limited Nashville to a single tour stop for the last two records yet play the Northeast relentlessly. And NO Bonnaroo doesn't count. If you have to camp and stay for three days in a field an hour and a half away from the city surrounded by a bunch of drug addicts that can not be considered a Nashville tour stop.
    Maybe this member nailed it even though he pissed a lot of folks around here off with this thread.
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/226884/pearl-jame-gives-and-gives-seattle-crowd-shows-no-respect/p1
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

Maybe this member nailed it even though he pissed a lot of folks around here off with this thread.
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/226884/pearl-jame-gives-and-gives-seattle-crowd-shows-no-respect/p1

2013 was freezing cold. 19℉, people were waiting for hours in the merch lines. We are wussies when it comes to weather, the normal temps range from 35-80℉ throughout the year. Huge temp swings make for grumpy people. I was trying really hard to have fun even though I had pneumonia.

In general, I do feel snubbed by the band for not playing more shows here. Don't get me wrong, all the side projects, charity events, and guest appearances are great...just not truly feeling the love and appreciation for being their so-called hometown.

Sounds like most bands play the NE because it's an easy cash grab, lots of major cities close together, they can play a bunch of shows in a short amount of time.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    I dont know about seattle..but they should olay florida at every usa tour
    Miami is epic!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Glad you're there Dimi!! I better finally get to meet the great Greek in Tampa or #RiotJax!!
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    It was really weird in 2013 when someone called the exact date of the shows well in advance of the announcement (Except they called for two shows). The 2013 show sold out in seconds. The demand was insane. I still have no idea why they only did a single show in Seattle for that tour. It seems like the pulled back from doing two. They hadn't done a single Key Arena show in a loooong time. During the show he mocked macklemore for playing so many shows, and asked why they didn't. Never got my answer :)
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040

I dont know about seattle..but they should olay florida at every usa tour
    Miami is epic!!

I support this!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    I'm betting if Mike had his way there would be more PJ shows in Seattle. Mike is a beast and loves playing around town. Eddie only shows up if he can hobnob with famous people. Maybe the crowds suck because of Ed's petulant baiting. Maybe the crowd is just reciprocating the vibes we get from Ed. Maybe it is because the crowd is made up of out-of-towners coming to see PJ in their hometown. Maybe if Ed pretended to enjoy playing in the the city that made his celebrity possible he'd be better received. Or maybe the crowds don't suck, and that is just one of those things repeated ad infinitum on this board until it has become gospel. Either way, bring on Mike's / Jeff's / Stone's / Matt's side projects. These days I'd rather be at a smaller club watching Mike from 3 feet away, and then hanging out and chatting with him after the show.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    Key Arena blows for concerts. There really is nowhere decent for them to play. I've been there a bunch of times and I told myself I will no longer go there, even for PJ at this point. Hopefully. when the new arena gets off the ground and it gets built, PJ can be the opening event.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Hope Seattle gets some shows!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,898
    edited April 2016
    RKCNDY said:

2013 was freezing cold. 19℉, people were waiting for hours in the merch lines. We are wussies when it comes to weather, the normal temps range from 35-80℉ throughout the year. Huge temp swings make for grumpy people. I was trying really hard to have fun even though I had pneumonia.

In general, I do feel snubbed by the band for not playing more shows here. Don't get me wrong, all the side projects, charity events, and guest appearances are great...just not truly feeling the love and appreciation for being their so-called hometown.

Sounds like most bands play the NE because it's an easy cash grab, lots of major cities close together, they can play a bunch of shows in a short amount of time.
    But it was just as cold in Vancouver 2 days earlier and the crowd was awesome. We're no more used to cold weather.
    But anyway, I agree that PJ should play Seattle more. It seems like such a great opportunity to do new and fun things for the local fans. Like where they announce a club show the day before, tix are only available by radio contest, or do 10C only member ticket draws, pop-up stuff like that. They really do seem to be missing a chance to be fun and creative without having to travel anywhere (Jeff excluded I guess, since his home base seems to be Montana).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    choop said:

Key Arena blows for concerts. There really is nowhere decent for them to play. I've been there a bunch of times and I told myself I will no longer go there, even for PJ at this point. Hopefully. when the new arena gets off the ground and it gets built, PJ can be the opening event.

They could play Benaroya...or the winery. Ed likes his wine...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • PJ_Soul said:

RKCNDY said:

But it was just as cold in Vancouver 2 days earlier and the crowd was awesome. We're no more used to cold weather.
    But anyway, I agree that PJ should play Seattle more. It seem like such a great opportunity to do new and fun things for the local fans. Like where they announce a club show the day before, tix are only available by radio contest, or do 10C only member ticket draws, pop-up stuff like that. They really do seem to be missing a chance to be fun and creative without having to travel anywhere (Jeff excluded I guess, since his home base seems to be Montana).
    Who knows, that time may just come. I'll be on board no matter what phase they're in. Just like Wayne says....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74M0hPAeFHs
    www.cluthelee.com
  • EnterThanmanEnterThanman Posts: 1,057
    Stone's answers this question directly, saying something along the lines of they like to be Pearl Jam in other cities, and try to blend in and be normal people in Seattle as much as possible, which leads to less home town shows.
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,688

No offense, but Zac Brown is from Georgia. True he lives here now but didn't start here. The better comparison to Nashville would be Kings of Leon who played their first ever show at Slowbar and the lack of shows they play here would be similar. Sure they played NYE this year for all the tourists down on Broadway in freezing temps but they have limited Nashville to a single tour stop for the last two records yet play the Northeast relentlessly. And NO Bonnaroo doesn't count. If you have to camp and stay for three days in a field an hour and a half away from the city surrounded by a bunch of drug addicts that can not be considered a Nashville tour stop.

Seriously how do you really feel about bonnaroo?

Don't hold back

Be honest

Stone's answers this question directly, saying something along the lines of they like to be Pearl Jam in other cities, and try to blend in and be normal people in Seattle as much as possible, which leads to less home town shows.

So does that make Dave Matthews an attention whore?

- Christopher McCandless
    I feel pissed at bonnaroo for stealing my home town show away. That's the honest truth. I used to work as a photojournalist and covered it a couple of times and saw all I needed to see. Not my scene. Glad the folks that go have a good time and I don't want to stand in your way. However, blocking a local show is absolutely ridiculous. Most locals over the age of 25 don't go to the Roo. Is it too much for me to want to go see Pearl jam and then sleep in my own bed afterward at least once every 4-5 years? It's been 13 years since PJ have played Nashville. It's not like we are some culturally devoid dot on the map that no one wants to visit. It's frustrating to love a band and love where you live and want to see those two converge and have it yanked away from you because some hippie fest that doesn't accommodate day visitors but rather requires assimilation into conditions that most grown folks feel are less than desirable blacks out your market for half a year. Now get off of my lawn!!!! End of rant... For now..
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

I feel pissed at bonnaroo for stealing my home town show away. That's the honest truth. I used to work as a photojournalist and covered it a couple of times and saw all I needed to see. Not my scene. Glad the folks that go have a good time and I don't want to stand in your way. However, blocking a local show is absolutely ridiculous. Most locals over the age of 25 don't go to the Roo. Is it too much for me to want to go see Pearl jam and then sleep in my own bed afterward at least once every 4-5 years? It's been 13 years since PJ have played Nashville. It's not like we are some culturally devoid dot on the map that no one wants to visit. It's frustrating to love a band and love where you live and want to see those two converge and have it yanked away from you because some hippie fest that doesn't accommodate day visitors but rather requires assimilation into conditions that most grown folks feel are less than desirable blacks out your market for half a year. Now get off of my lawn!!!! End of rant... For now..

Honestly, I can feel this... I would probably feel the same if I lived in the Nashville area

Y'know, that's really funny because the first example I was going to use was KoL, but just felt like Zac more typified the Nashville town scene than them (even though as you rightly point out, he's from Georgia).

I totally respect your take, especially as the Pemberton Festival is kind of "stealing" my Vancouver show...but what totally mystifies us west coasters, is the distances between the cities. For example, I grew up in Vancouver, but consider Seattle a home show (2.5 -3 hours away by car) and even Portland for that matter (5 hours by car!).

When we see people in (say just completely for example) Pittsburgh saying "come play Pittsburgh" when they're already playing Lexington or Philly (5 hours by car each way)...we are perplexed as it just seems like a rational distance to travel by car to see a show.

The distances between larger cities are just so much shorter on the East Coast! Like over the summer there will be 6 PJ shows all within 2-3 hour drive of Philly-NYC-Boston.

I really respect Nashville as a cultural and historic city. Shit, I wish I lived there as I might actually be able to afford somewhere to live (Vancouver sucks, like even a 1bdr condo costs $500,000). But at the same time, you should totally just hop in a car and go to Lexington! (I'll buy you a beer!).

Cheers,
    Matt
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    my2hands said:

Honestly, I can feel this... I would probably feel the same if I lived in the Nashville area
    Yeah, I get this too. I would also be pissed if a thing like Bonnaroo was in my hometown.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    mwplum said:

Y'know, that's really funny because the first example I was going to use was KoL, but just felt like Zac more typified the Nashville town scene than them (even though as you rightly point out, he's from Georgia).

I totally respect your take, especially as the Pemberton Festival is kind of "stealing" my Vancouver show...but what totally mystifies us west coasters, is the distances between the cities. For example, I grew up in Vancouver, but consider Seattle a home show (2.5 -3 hours away by car) and even Portland for that matter (5 hours by car!).

When we see people in (say just completely for example) Pittsburgh saying "come play Pittsburgh" when they're already playing Lexington or Philly (5 hours by car each way)...we are perplexed as it just seems like a rational distance to travel by car to see a show.

The distances between larger cities are just so much shorter on the East Coast! Like over the summer there will be 6 PJ shows all within 2-3 hour drive of Philly-NYC-Boston.

I really respect Nashville as a cultural and historic city. Shit, I wish I lived there as I might actually be able to afford somewhere to live (Vancouver sucks, like even a 1bdr condo costs $500,000). But at the same time, you should totally just hop in a car and go to Lexington! (I'll buy you a beer!).

Cheers,
    Matt
    You think that the Pemberton fest is stealing your Vancouver show? How so? Do you think that this performance will make PJ skip Vancouver on their next west coast tour??
    Totally agree about the frustration with how far apart cities are out here. It sucks. It really makes me wish I lived on the northeast coast!!
    I am going to Lexington. I travel all the time for this band. 2008 West Palm and Tampa 2009 Salt Lake City and Philadelphia 2010 Columbus and Indianapolis 2011 Alpine Valley 2012 Atlanta and Missoula 2013 Wrigley, Dallas, OKC, and Phoenix. 2014 Cincinnati, St. Louis, Memphis, and Denver. This year Tampa, Jacksonville, and Lexington. But goddamn it. I live in Music City. We have tons of great venues and plenty of hotel space. Ed seemed to have a great time when he played the Ryman. I just don't get it.
    PJ_Soul said:

mwplum said:

Cheers,
    Matt
    You think that the Pemberton fest is stealing your Vancouver show? How so? Do you think that this performance will make PJ skip Vancouver on their next west coast tour??
    Totally agree about the frustration with how far apart cities are out here. It sucks. It really makes me wish I lived on the northeast coast!!
    No not at all (about stealing a Vancouver show)...I really wasn't expecting any west coast dates, save potentially a PJ25 in Seattle or the Gorge. This is like icing on the cake! A free desert, completely unexpected!

To be honest I just feel so fortunate they're playing in my backyard! I booked an Air BNB in January hopping that the lineup would be okay (didn't have high hopes) but after the announcement, I'm ecstatic!!!! I know many people feel ambivalent about it, but if they billed it as "Pearl Jam, Oasis, the Killers, and JCole (whoever that is?), and the return of Wolf Parade" that would be incredible (and that's essentially what it is!!!!). I never got to see Wolf Parade back in the day, and for those of you in that boat, please listen to "Apologies to the Queen Mary"...as it might be one of the top 10 albums that came out between 2000-2010....Can't wait for Pemberton!!!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    PS OceansMagnet, I too was at Memphis/Denver 2014...Great shows! (first time I got to see Come Back and Ghost!!!) think it's so rad you're able to tour as much as you do while living in such a great city. Much love.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    @mwplum thanks for the kind words. Hoping we can meet up in Lexington. This may be my last time to be able to travel for a while so I'm making the most of it but trying to be responsible. It would be so easy to hit the Carolinas in a week but I've got Alabama Shakes and Ben Harper back to back here that week so it does take the sting out a bit. My former job paid well but I was unhappy with my quality of life. I'm scraping by. When I left that job I said that money can't buy happiness.. Now I realize that is true but it can buy Pearl Jam tickets and that's basically the same thing right? Haha.