Options

Bernie Sanders and the troubling interview with NY Daily News

2»

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    brianlux said:

mrussel, if you put as much energy into campaigning for Hillary as you do against Bernie, she would be a shoe in. Interesting that you seem to take the reverse approach. You must really think that guy sucks, LOL!

It's Bernie for me. We'll see how it goes. I'm probably done with election threads.

Last one in the pool...

:lol:

I'm actually just more argumentative by nature... a natural contrarian. We'll miss you...
  • Options
    Free said:

Interesting that Russell would "discuss" my last two posts, but not the first one. Keep discussing Russell.

I actually didn't see that post, I certainly wasn't avoiding it. Yes, there is bias in the media. But the bias cuts all ways and like I've said over and over, I have no expectation of media impartiality. We've never had it. We never will. Go back and read about yellow journalism in your history survey courses.

Regarding FDR, that's not a good analogy for a few reasons: 1. FDR was running against Hoover in '32 who was so unpopular that FDR barely brought up policy arguments. He was careful not to make a gaffe when he was such a heavy favorite. He offered bland proposals that vaguely mentioned the gov't stepping in to create jobs, vs the GOP prescription of personal responsibility 2. The country was in the midst of the Great Depression. We are not. Our economy is very strong so the appetite for 'revolution' through much of the country is insignificant compared to 1932. Plus, there were no interviews, no editorial boards, no broadcast debates etc.

Regarding Obama... that's an even worse analogy because Obama DID in fact lay out a framework for his health care policy and the final law closely mirrored it. Of course there were revisions, amendment, tax breaks for pharms, etc. But it was damn close. Go back and read the plans from 08 between McCain and Obama.
  • Options
    Free said:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/hillary-clinton-is-pro-gu_b_8736298.html

Hillary Clinton Is Pro Gun Control, But She’s Also Big on Arms Deals

Lest we forget: "Under Clinton’s leadership, the State Department approved $165 billion worth of commercial arms sales to 20 nations whose governments have given money to the Clinton Foundation, according to an IBTimes analysis of State Department and foundation data. That figure — derived from the three full fiscal years of Clinton’s term as Secretary of State (from October 2010 to September 2012) — represented nearly double the value of American arms sales made to the those countries and approved by the State Department during the same period of President George W. Bush’s second term."
    You've brought this up before. As I said and showed you through data, the arms sales to these countries (mostly western military allies) started long ago, continued under Bush, did increase in some cases under Hillary, but continue to increase under Kerry in the State Department. This is an argument that not even mainstream GOP tries to bring up. There's no merit to it.

It's interesting that your defense of Bernie is to say that Clinton, the DOD and the President have arms sales to other countries. These two issues are completely unrelated.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    brianlux said:

I'm probably done with election threads.

Suuuuuuure you are. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

Suuuuuuure you are. ;)
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited April 2016
    mrussel1 said:

Free said:

Lest we forget: "Under Clinton’s leadership, the State Department approved $165 billion worth of commercial arms sales to 20 nations whose governments have given money to the Clinton Foundation, according to an IBTimes analysis of State Department and foundation data. That figure — derived from the three full fiscal years of Clinton’s term as Secretary of State (from October 2010 to September 2012) — represented nearly double the value of American arms sales made to the those countries and approved by the State Department during the same period of President George W. Bush’s second term."
    You've brought this up before. As I said and showed you through data, the arms sales to these countries (mostly western military allies) started long ago, continued under Bush, did increase in some cases under Hillary, but continue to increase under Kerry in the State Department. This is an argument that not even mainstream GOP tries to bring up. There's no merit to it.

Uh-huh. Blinders do a great Job.
  • Options
    Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Free said:

Uh-huh. Blinders do a great Job.

Blinders? You pick a small window of time and say that Hillary's a bad guy for doing the same thing that is official US policy through D and R administrations. Kerry continues the practice to this day, but somehow it's an HRC thing. That's delusion or willful ignorance.

You still haven't defended Sander's votes on the Cheesburger Bill, Brady Bill, etc. Let me know when you are ready to discuss Bernie's time as Chair of the Veteran's Committee. It's the only leadership job he's held in congress. Let's talk about how well that went. HRC could clobber him with that all day long.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    :rofl:
  • Options
    Free said:

:rofl:

As usual, unable to put together a cogent argument that doesn't involve copying and pasting. But hey, can always win an argument with an emoticon, right? Good luck when you make it to the real world.

I noticed you were conspicuously absent during the conversation we had about how to possibly implement Bernie's education plan. Carry on...sigh
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Kat said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

Suuuuuuure you are. ;)
    Hey, I was wondering if I could borrow a... oops, sorry, wrong door! :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.