Eat an Avocado Pit?

Ever tired it? I read recently that avocado pits contain most of the avocado's nutrients such as anti-oxidants and vitamins. My concern is that I know some pits/seeds are not healthy to eat (apricot seeds for example). I believe the idea is you grind it up or grate the avocado pit (some call it the "seed") for use. Anyone here knowledgeable about avocado pits? Are they toxic-- yes, everything is toxic at some point but occasional usage is OK?
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    B, My husband uses this website quite a bit. Found this for you:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/31737-eat-avocado-seeds-nutrition/
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I've not even ate an avocado.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Jason P said:

They are terrible...just give them all to me. ;)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY said:

Jason P said:

No pit for you!

Jason P said:

RKCNDY said:

Jason P said:

No pit for you!

Totally fine...actually, I don't have this specific avocado. If you could send it my way, that would be wonderful.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    I have an avocado in the fridge but I've got to through it out. It's by now far too ripe by now, I've never heard of eating the seed though. However, in some fruits the seed has the most nutrients....in the case of the avacado it's probably true.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,627
    g under p said:

I have an avocado in the fridge but I've got to through it out. It's by now far too ripe by now, I've never heard of eating the seed though. However, in some fruits the seed has the most nutrients....in the case of the avacado it's probably true.

Peace

Unless it's moldy you can mix an over-ripe avocado with some salsa and a little lemon juice to make guacamole. :smile:
    deadendp said:

Thanks, deadendp. This made me a bit wary: "While research has found avocado pit supplementation in low dosage is non-toxic..." meaning it does have some toxins.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    edited April 2016
    i'll try this if it proves to be a good idea. do your research, briandeluxe, & share your findings. i'll do the same if i find anything. when having seeded watermelon (which i will purchase a seeded melon before a nonseeded melon. some places give a guy zero choice... irritate me like that) i generally eat probably 40% or more of the seeds & spit the others across the room or on the ground... depends where i am at i guess... is it bad manners to spit seeds on the carpet, walls or desks or in bed with watermelon juices everything?

here's to seeds... hiphiphoray

love me some avocado... a great food
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    cherry seeds make for excellent spitting across the way... wonder if we can eat cherry seeds?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    Jason P said:

You've never had guacamole?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    chadwick said:

i'll try this if it proves to be a good idea. do your research, briandeluxe, & share your findings. i'll do the same if i find anything. when having seeded watermelon (which i will purchase a seeded melon before a nonseeded melon. some places give a guy zero choice... irritate me like that) i generally eat probably 40% or more of the seeds & spit the others across the room or on the ground... depends where i am at i guess... is it bad manners to spit seeds on the carpet, walls or desks or in bed with watermelon juices everything?

here's to seeds... hiphiphoray

love me some avocado... a great food

Will do Sir Chadwick!

Hooray for seeds!

• deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    brianlux said:

g under p said:

Peace

Unless it's moldy you can mix an over-ripe avocado with some salsa and a little lemon juice to make guacamole. :smile:
    deadendp said:

Thanks, deadendp. This made me a bit wary: "While research has found avocado pit supplementation in low dosage is non-toxic..." meaning it does have some toxins.
    My thoughts exactly. :fearful:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    deadendp said:

brianlux said:

g under p said:

Peace

deadendp said:

My thoughts exactly. :fearful:
    Maybe we should stick with the guacamole, tortilla chips and beer ! :lol:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

Nope. Along with mayonnaise, I've been able to avoid both my whole life.
    get a avocado. skin it, remove the pit/seed & put the yummy stuff in your salad & put it on your taco. one could put avocado in anything... eating avocado plain is tasty as well

spinach, strawberries, ham sliced up, whatever else you might like, paul newman's caesar dressing, croutons & avocado... you're welcome

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

Beer and chips purist?

chadwick said:

get a avocado. skin it, remove the pit/seed & put the yummy stuff in your salad & put it on your taco. one could put avocado in anything... eating avocado plain is tasty as well

spinach, strawberries, ham sliced up, whatever else you might like, paul newman's caesar dressing, croutons & avocado... you're welcome

We're almost never without avocados!

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    chadwick said:

cherry seeds make for excellent spitting across the way... wonder if we can eat cherry seeds?

No!!! You can't!

The stones of stone fruits (cherries, Apple's, peaches, plums, apricots) break down into cyanide in your body if they are crushed enough to let the insides out. Theoretically you should be able to get a fatal dose but I don't know if it has been recorded as an official cause of death.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    chadwick said:

I put avocados in my Golden Grahams every morning.
    www.myspace.com
    Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

I kind of get avoiding mayo, but why avoid something as yummy, versatile, and healthy as avocado?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited April 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

I kind of get avoiding mayo, but why avoid something as yummy, versatile, and healthy as avocado?
    I was never exposed to it growing up. Closest mexican food exposure growing up in rural midwest was Taco Bell. I haven't been curious about ever trying it and considering restaurants rake you over the coals to add it to your meal, I've just avoided it.

If I ever see it at a party in the future, I will give it a try.
    Post edited by Jason P on
    edited April 2016
    Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

I was never exposed to it growing up. Closest mexican food exposure growing up in rural midwest was Taco Bell. I haven't been curious about ever trying it and considering restaurants rake you over the coals to add it to your meal, I've just avoided it.

Lol, awesome. Report back if/when that happens. ;)
    Also, if you ever try a California roll, which I recommend you do, you're all the way there. They have both avocado and mayo. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

Also, if you ever try a California roll, which I recommend you do, you're all the way there. They have both avocado and mayo. :)
    I guess I have tried Avocado then! Later in life of course. You're not going to believe this, put eating raw fish was a perplexing concept to a young Jason P.
    Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

I guess I have tried Avocado then! Later in life of course. You're not going to believe this, put eating raw fish was a perplexing concept to a young Jason P.
    Haha! Actually, raw fish is one I can't do. Love the Cali roll since the crab's cooked. But the raw sushi dishes are something I can't handle because I've got a texture problem with it. And this is very unfortunate, because I live in a city that is widely considered to have the best sushi in the world, even better than in Japan. Anyway, congrats on your forgotten experience with mayo and avocado. :lol:
    PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

Haha! Actually, raw fish is one I can't do. Love the Cali roll since the crab's cooked. But the raw sushi dishes are something I can't handle because I've got a texture problem with it. And this is very unfortunate, because I live in a city that is widely considered to have the best sushi in the world, even better than in Japan. Anyway, congrats on your forgotten experience with mayo and avocado. :lol:
    please don't tell me you eat your steak well done...

- Christopher McCandless