What is the GA experience like?

Been to many concerts, never had GA tix. Is it going to be tame enough to bring my 8yr old with me? (It is Ottawa I have tix to) Am I crazy to think folks would maybe let us have the rail so she can see? Lol... She is waaay too heavy for me to lift up for more than one song! Lol... Unless adrenalin kicks in, then maybe 3-4songs tops! Lol... Should I just switch for reserved seats? What is GA basically like?

Comments

• ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,765
    I have an 8 year old and I think she'd be bored and tired spending 3+ hours standing around. I don't wait in line for the rail but if I did I wouldn't give it up.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • The thing is I have friends that have reserved seats so we could always switch and sit once she is tired of standing... Which would probably be after 30mins... You make a great point about the rail though, thanks for sharing!!

• gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,651
    You are crazy to think people will just give the rail to a child...I have had kids (other bands shows) give me the sad eyes and try to squeeze in...NO WAY. If you earn a rail spot it's yours. Small children do not deserve special path to the front just to see....if you do the time to get the rail that's your call. I think taking a kid that young to a rock show is questionable.
    NOt as bad as woman in pit in LA for Springsteen with a baby in a Bjorn carrier, no ear protection..that's criminal.
  • Been second from the rail and I have stood at the very back. I would not recommend standing in line all day and then asking a kid to stand in the pit for 2 hours before the show starts, then stand there for 3+ hours for the show. You'll have a great time at the back of the GA and it will be much easier on your kid.
    1995: San Francisco, San Diego
    2000: Phoenix
    2008: Camden 2
    2009: San Diego, Philly 1, Philly 2
    2010: MSG 1, MSG 2
    2011: Alpine 1, Alpine 2
    2012: Missoula
    2013: Wrigley, Phoenix, San Diego, LA1, LA2, Oakland
    2014: Denver
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1
    2022: San Diego, LA1
    2024: LA1
  • Yes, good point about the rail... Obviously it was crazy wishful thinking on my part to think that way... You are completely right... That thought is gone and I have all the answers I need... If she can't see she won't last and that will be no fun for her or I so GA with her is out...
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Been to many concerts, never had GA tix. Is it going to be tame enough to bring my 8yr old with me? (It is Ottawa I have tix to) Am I crazy to think folks would maybe let us have the rail so she can see? Lol... She is waaay too heavy for me to lift up for more than one song! Lol... Unless adrenalin kicks in, then maybe 3-4songs tops! Lol... Should I just switch for reserved seats? What is GA basically like?

You should probably switch for reserved seats with an 8 year old. You could hang at the back and have enough space she might be able to see, but the rail isn't the place for a child.
    I think 3 to 3.5 hours is long enough for an 8 year old to get pretty damn cranking standing around.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    I would leave the 8 year old at home.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • There is no question she would do great in reserved seats... We have been to concerts before and she does great... Love hearing her thought process on what she is observing and its really a great teaching moment about music, performing, people's behaviours, etc... She is a musician and so appreciates what she observes..