Options

The Pearl Jam 2016 Poster Experience!

Comments

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,798
    CH255210 said:

Anyone ever travel with poster tubes on a plane? Should I find a post office, UPS store? Thanks for any info.

I have carried on tubes. It can go in the overhead or under your seat. I've seen plenty of architects and what-not who fly with large drafting documents. It shouldn't be an issue.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,157
    demetrios said:

I did 15. I counted the big floating human too.

I went with 14. D'oh!
    It doesn't matter. He puts thought into his number game. He might do 3 for the first year of flight. He's good like that.

I curse after I hear his reasoning for certain ones but I enjoy it.
  • Options
    chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,439
    CM189191 said:

CH255210 said:

Anyone ever travel with poster tubes on a plane? Should I find a post office, UPS store? Thanks for any info.

I have carried on tubes. It can go in the overhead or under your seat. I've seen plenty of architects and what-not who fly with large drafting documents. It shouldn't be an issue.
    I flew with them twice this year for Philly and Boston. Southwest both times had no issue with me stowing them in the overhead compartment
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options

I did the same.
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    pjman75 said:

Thursday at the Metro...thoughts?

nope

if
    KC138045 said:

demetrios said:

I went with 14. D'oh!
    I went with 83 - the first year a manned hot air balloon flew 1783

counting anything on the print just seemed too simple for "the thinking man's artist"

but then again going to wikipedia is pretty simple too ;)

good luck!
  • Options
    brewdog123brewdog123 ATL Posts: 638

I did the same.
  • Options
    CH255210CH255210 Posts: 126
    CM189191 said:

CH255210 said:

Any extra costs? Sorry for all the questions, will be first time flying with posters.
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827

pjman75 said:

Thursday at the Metro...thoughts?

nope

if
    KC138045 said:

demetrios said:

I went with 14. D'oh!
    I went with 83 - the first year a manned hot air balloon flew 1783

counting anything on the print just seemed too simple for "the thinking man's artist"

but then again going to wikipedia is pretty simple too ;)

good luck!
    That's what he did with Philly 2. A lot of people counted the animal species, but forgot the human species.

It can be any #. :anguished:
  • Options
    Alpine BoundAlpine Bound Posts: 1,809
    CH255210 said:

CM189191 said:

CH255210 said:

Any extra costs? Sorry for all the questions, will be first time flying with posters.
    No, it is a personal item or a carry-on. If you are flying one of the cheap carriers (Frontier, Spirit), then I have no clue how those guys treat it.

I have only once had a problem carrying on a tube, and that was after 2013 Philly when I flew Frontier. As I was sitting in the waiting area a Frontier attendant told me I would have to check my tube. I basically told her there was no chance in hell I was checking this artwork, because it was too valuable to let out of my site. (confession, they were jsut a set of Philly posters, so not THAT valuable, but what does the attendant know). Needless to say, she recognized that I was serious and backed down. Haven't had an issue since.
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,867

I did the same.
    +2. Considering counting an airborne and given to fly McCready, who is dressed in same colors as the hot air balloons, as 16.
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    edited August 2016
    CH255210 said:

CM189191 said:

CH255210 said:

I flew back on United from Boston with another carry to go with the tube and there was no charge for it.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options

CH255210 said:

CM189191 said:

CH255210 said:

No, it is a personal item or a carry-on. If you are flying one of the cheap carriers (Frontier, Spirit), then I have no clue how those guys treat it.

I have only once had a problem carrying on a tube, and that was after 2013 Philly when I flew Frontier. As I was sitting in the waiting area a Frontier attendant told me I would have to check my tube. I basically told her there was no chance in hell I was checking this artwork, because it was too valuable to let out of my site. (confession, they were jsut a set of Philly posters, so not THAT valuable, but what does the attendant know). Needless to say, she recognized that I was serious and backed down. Haven't had an issue since.
    I've only had the problem coming back from PJ20 AV with the huge tube for the Movie Posters... No choice but to check those with the inevitable result upon pick up.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options

CH255210 said:

CM189191 said:

CH255210 said:

Nice! I'm flying Frontier! I'll figure it out one way or another.
  • Options
    CH255210 said:

CH255210 said:

CM189191 said:

CH255210 said:

Nice! I'm flying Frontier! I'll figure it out one way or another.
    Do you have a back pack? Just stick it in there (hanging out top obviously), and shouldn't be an issue.
  • Options
    droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,357
    If you're flying a carrier that won't allow you to bring them on and you know you'll be in town early to pick up your merch before the show, then it's always an option to find a post office and ship them back. Better to trust people who ship things professionally for a living rather than risk your posters clanging around at the bottom of an airplane.
  • Options
    Bladamus MaximusBladamus Maximus Paris TN Posts: 277
    WEAPONX24 said:

14 most likely for Mr. Cub Ernie Banks who passed away a few months ago....

He passed a year and a half ago...January, 2015 but who's counting?
    05-06-95 (EV with Mike Watt, Foo Fighters) Chicago
    07-09-95 Milwaukee
    10-07-96 Ft. Lauderdale
    06-29-98 Chicago
    09-22-98 West Palm Beach
    07-19-13 Wrigley Field
    10-14-14 Memphis
    04-26-16 Lexington
    08-20-16 (Wrigley I)
    08-22-16 (Wrigley II)
    08-18-18 (Wrigley I)
    08-20-18 (Wrigley II)
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 2,006
    CH255210 said:

My wife and I had 3 poster tubes as carry on's when we flew back from the MSG shows in May. They were fine. We just put them in the cabins above us.
  • Options
    twhite1221twhite1221 here, there, everywhere Posts: 93
    CH255210 said:

If you have more than one tube, buy some shrink wrap and wrap them up together to make it easier to carry them. You can even make a strap with the wrap and attached to tubes. It looks ghetto as hell but it works. I traveled from FL shows with 4 tubes wrapped together with no problem on flights.

Worst case scenario, if you had to ship something back home....you can ship a large (4 inch diameter) poster tube almost anywhere is US for $15ish USPS priority 2 day. $50 insurance is included and a couple of hundred $'s more of insurance is only $4-$5 more.
  • Options

CH255210 said:

If you have more than one tube, buy some shrink wrap and wrap them up together to make it easier to carry them. You can even make a strap with the wrap and attached to tubes. It looks ghetto as hell but it works. I traveled from FL shows with 4 tubes wrapped together with no problem on flights.

Worst case scenario, if you had to ship something back home....you can ship a large (4 inch diameter) poster tube almost anywhere is US for $15ish USPS priority 2 day. $50 insurance is included and a couple of hundred $'s more of insurance is only $4-$5 more.
    Yeah, most likely getting more than one poster.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    edited August 2016
    CH255210 said:

CH255210 said:

If you're transporting more than one or two posters...
    think about picking up a larger "bazooka" tube!!
    Post edited by derbydave on
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    Paul-JamPaul-Jam Posts: 136
    Sarava said:

CH255210 said:

My wife and I had 3 poster tubes as carry on's when we flew back from the MSG shows in May. They were fine. We just put them in the cabins above us.
    How about a little consolation? Instead of carrying 3 just carry 1. Worked well coming back from BOS. Easier to keep track of, for me that would be too much of a risk forgetting one. I finally pulled the trigger and bought a hard plastic poster carry tube on Amazon for about 20$. It will definitely give me peace of mind should I ever have to put it in the baggage bin. Also, added bonus, now I have a place to put all those PJ show stickers that have been adding up in my drawer!
    2006  July-6               Las Vegas
    2006  July-18             San Francisco 3
    2009  October-6         Los Angeles 3
    2013  November-21   San Diego
    2013  November-26   Oakland
    2014  October-22       Denver
    2016  August-5           Fenway 1
    2016  August-7           Fenway 2
    2016  November-11    Temple of The Dog- San Francisco 1
    2018  August-18         Wrigley 1
    2018  August-20         Wrigley 2
    2018  September-4     Boston 2
    2022  May-18              Sacramento...fuck covid
  • Options
    derbydave said:

CH255210 said:

CH255210 said:

Sounds like a winner! Probably have to buy somewhere else, yeah?
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I have put tubes inside my checked baggage in the past
  • Options

I have put tubes inside my checked baggage in the past

I put a tube IN my checked bag from Fenway to SF and back to NYC without issue.. But, I have sturdy luggage, so I wasn't the least bit concerned. I assumed the question was about checking it on its own. If you can fit it in a non-canvas checked bag that's large enough, you should be fine.
  • Options
    EM194007 said:

UH OH, Brad Klausen's webites domain addy hasn't been re-uped. The site is down, and the addy is parked. :fearful:http://www.artillerydesign.com/main.php

should be back to normal soon... domain re-registration proving to be sort of an unnecessary pain... register.com has some screwy procedures
  • Options
    derbydave said:

CH255210 said:

CH255210 said:

Also, first time having to buy multiple posters and was unsure if putting them in same tube would cause issues.
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827

EM194007 said:

UH OH, Brad Klausen's webites domain addy hasn't been re-uped. The site is down, and the addy is parked. :fearful:http://www.artillerydesign.com/main.php

should be back to normal soon... domain re-registration proving to be sort of an unnecessary pain... register.com has some screwy procedures
    Just checked, looks like it's back up and running again Brad. Looking forward to seeing your print/poster tomorrow. Thanks for touching base with us about your website.
  • Options
    StAmsar20StAmsar20 Bettendorf, Iowa Posts: 59
    Flew home through Spirit this April after the Tampa show and just carried the tube on. No bubbles, no troubles. Put it in overhead, no extra charges. Oh, I also recommend never flying Spirit
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    StAmsar20 said:

Flew home through Spirit this April after the Tampa show and just carried the tube on. No bubbles, no troubles. Put it in overhead, no extra charges. Oh, I also recommend never flying Spirit

I flew Spirit with a group of 6 back in April. We took a friend to LA for his bachelor weekend. The flight was surprisingly pleasant there and back.
  • Options
    tjk895tjk895 Posts: 235
    edited August 2016
    TA243471 said:

Did everyone guess 14, for how many balloons there were? Or 86 since there were 8 balloons above Ed, and 6 below him?

I went with 15, included the girl as a floating balloon as well.
    Post edited by tjk895 on
    2000: St. Louis
    2010: St. Louis
    2014: St. Louis
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley 1
    2018: Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2