Virtual Crate Digging In The nugs.net App – Volume 7: Recent Pearl Jam Rarities

demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,602
http://www.jambase.com/article/virtual-crate-digging-nugs-net-app-volume-7-recent-pearl-jam-rarities

By Team JamBase

Welcome to the seventh edition of Virtual Crate Digging in the nugs.net app, where JamBase’s editorial staff goes digging through the archives of the 10,000+ shows available for streaming via the newly launched mobile application.

The third edition of Virtual Crate Digging spotlighted the vast live repertoire of Umphrey’s McGee and this week’s installment takes a look at the similarly wide-ranging catalog of songs performed by Pearl Jam. While Pearl Jam tours often tend to focus on the band’s most recent material, their marathon shows regularly feature a vast selection of career-spanning originals and cover songs. With an extensive tour on the horizon beginning next week, here’s a look at five times Pearl Jam offered up a live rendition of a rare tune over the past two years.

Photo by Jeremy Williams

“Comfortably Numb” – November 28, 2015 – Foro Sol, Mexico City, Mexico
Last year Pearl Jam debuted a cover of Pink Floyd’s classic “Comfortably Numb” during their Latin American Tour. Played just four times thus far, Eddie Vedder last lead the band through the Wish You Were Here track during the tour closing performance in Mexico City that saw the band play a cover of “I Want You So Hard (Boy’s Bad News)” by Eagles Of Death Metal and dedicate a cover of John Lennon’s “Imagine” to the victims of the terrorist attack that occurred at the EODM Paris show weeks before.

“I’m Open” – November 20, 2015 – Estadio Mineirao, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
While on the same Latin American Tour and at the same show in which they debuted “I Want You So Hard (Boy’s Bad News),” Pearl Jam offered the rarely played “I’m Open” a deep cut from the 1996 studio album No Code. Not making its live debut until 2006 and going entire years between performances at times, the performance of “I’m Open” at Estadio Mineirao was just the 11th time the song has been played live by Pearl Jam.

“I Won’t Back Down” – October 20, 2014 – BMO Harris Bradley Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The Tom Petty cover “I Won’t Back Down” was first played by Pearl Jam back in 1994 but was shelved after a handful of renditions that year. A bust-out came in 2003 followed by two more appearances that year. Performed once in 2005 and twice in 2006, the song returned to the fold once in 2013 and then again on the occasion of Petty’s birthday on October 20, 2014 at BMO Harris Bradley Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Though credited to Pearl Jam, it should be noted Eddie Vedder performs the song solo.

“Black, Red, Yellow” – October 16, 2014 – Joe Louis Arena, Detroit, Michigan
The Pearl Jam original “Black, Red, Yellow” was recorded by Pearl Jam during the sessions that yielded their fourth studio album, 1996’s No Code. It was originally released as the b-side to “Hail, Hail,” though a longer version appears on the 2003 rarities collection Lost Dogs. According to Pearl Jam fan site Two Feet Thick, Eddie Vedder penned the song about basketball star Dennis Rodman. The Seattle rockers debuted “Black, Red, Yellow” live in Budapest on November 17, 1996 and have only performed the rarity a total of six times including a take at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit on October 16, 2014.

“Chloe Dancer”/”Crown Of Thorns” – October 3, 2014 – Scottrade Center, St. Louis, Missouri
Bassist Jeff Ament and guitarist Stone Gossard helped form Pearl Jam after a two-year stint in Seattle rock group Mother Love Bone. Andrew Wood was Mother Love Bone’s frontman and sadly died of an overdose just before the band released its debut album, Apple. One of MLB’s best songs was the pairing of “Chloe Dancer”/”Crown Of Thorns.” Pearl Jam started performing the suite at their tenth anniversary show in Las Vegas on October 22, 2000. “Chloe Dancer”/”Crown Of Thorns” remains in the repertoire as a beloved rarity with the most recent performance having taken place on October 3, 2014 at Scottrade Center in St. Louis.