Options

Side 1 of The Joshua Tree is perfect

halvhalv Posts: 689
Streets Have No Name
Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With or Without You
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still

Such a phenomenal flow of music. These 5 songs are about as good as it gets. Off the top of my head I can't think of another album that has such a perfect running order.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Side 2 is no slouch, either! That entire album is killer. It's in my top 5 of all time.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    edited March 2016
    One of the first albums I had when I was 7 just months after it came out. I have an older cousin and he was listening to 80s alt rock like u2, INXS, REM and pre mainstream fame RHCP at that time. I had it lost and misplaced a few years later and reunited with it on CD in 2000 when I got into U2's older albums. Oddly enough, my favorite song is on thother side, One Tree Hill.

Side 1s of Physical Graffiti by Zep and of Aja by Steely Dan are my personal favorite perfect album sides ever.
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775

Side 2 is no slouch, either!

!!!
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,696
    I can still vividly remember getting this LP in high school when it came out and listening to it in the dark with the headphones. The only other albums I can have this recall with on first listens is PJ albums.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    I can still vividly remember that this was the beginning of the " can't get tickets to U2 shows " but all you had to do was look at the scalpers they had all the tickets , I gave up trying to see them !!!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    I also can remember this was the END of U2 being an underground band for me. I did though get to sell many bootleg shows that I had collected from Boy to TUF album.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Last night I listened to Unforgetable Fire to me at least this album is better than JT I just like the feel of it better it seems more intimate ...
  • Options

Last night I listened to Unforgetable Fire to me at least this album is better than JT I just like the feel of it better it seems more intimate ...

I'm not not sure if it's better but it certainly is intimate with songs such as A Sort Of Homecoming. What a tour that was with Bono's black mullet.....the man knows how to work an audience and making them ONE with the band's music.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p said:

I'm not not sure if it's better but it certainly is intimate with songs such as A Sort Of Homecoming. What a tour that was with Bono's black mullet.....the man knows how to work an audience and making them ONE with the band's music.

Peace
    Yeah I agree that was the last tour it felt intimate to me ...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654

Side 2 is no slouch, either! That entire album is killer. It's in my top 5 of all time.

Me too!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    g under p said:

Peace
    Unforgettable Fire has always been my favourite U2 album even though JT and AB are probably better collections of music overall. There's just something about the feeling of that album. I was only 12 when it came out and they never came to town so I never got to see them on that tour but I used to watch the Bad and Sort of Homecoming videos repeatedly. There was also an Amnesty International show that I had on vhs for awhile that was incredible. I would love for them to release a live dvd from that tour.
  • Options
    halv said:

g under p said:

Peace
    Unforgettable Fire has always been my favourite U2 album even though JT and AB are probably better collections of music overall. There's just something about the feeling of that album. I was only 12 when it came out and they never came to town so I never got to see them on that tour but I used to watch the Bad and Sort of Homecoming videos repeatedly. There was also an Amnesty International show that I had on vhs for awhile that was incredible. I would love for them to release a live dvd from that tour.
    My first tour seeing them was the War Tour in Va which was great, maybe that's why that album still has its impact on me today. However, as you said it would great if they released a dvd of TUF. I also saw that tour in VA and it was amazing in how the fans that night were so rabid with enthusiasm. We literally tour the roof off of the Hampton Coliseum and I could NOT talk for days. It had an emotional Feel to it, throw a bit of an religious experience as I left the show drenched in sweat.

Peace

• Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    halv said:

g under p said:

Peace
    Wire freaking rules from the 1st second. Love the intro riff by Edge.
  • Options
    g under p said:

halv said:

g under p said:

Peace
    My first tour seeing them was the War Tour in Va which was great, maybe that's why that album still has its impact on me today. However, as you said it would great if they released a dvd of TUF. I also saw that tour in VA and it was amazing in how the fans that night were so rabid with enthusiasm. We literally tour the roof off of the Hampton Coliseum and I could NOT talk for days. It had an emotional Feel to it, throw a bit of an religious experience as I left the show drenched in sweat.

Peace
    I just finished watching Live in Dortmund from 1984 and I can see what you mean about crowd intensity on that tour. Despite the awful camera work it's a pretty incredible show to watch. This kind of highlights what has bothered me about live U2 the last few tours. They now rely way too much on gimmick and if there was ever a band that doesn't have to it's them (and PJ). The best U2 shows (in my opinion) have always been the ones with the least amount of staging. That band, especially Bono and Edge, can rule any stage with just the sheer intensity of the music.