fistfights

I was just wondering if any here have gotten into a knock down drag out physical confrontation? and do you regret it now? or do you regret not punching someone in the head?

I was beat up (2 punches) by a group of drunk, underage jocks when I was 26, sometimes I wish I would've taken a couple swings, but I guess I did the right thing. I've never thrown a punch in my life.
The worst of times..they don't phase me,
even if I look and act really crazy.

Comments

• I've never hit anyone and I've never been hit. I don't consider that a coincidence.

That being said I've often wondered about being punched or hit in the face. What it actually feels like and if I'd be able to "take it"
    it's a fragile thing, this life we lead.

05/24/06, 06/28/08, 06/30/08, 05/17/10, 09/07/11, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/14/11, 09/15/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 05/05/16, 05/08/16, 08/07/16, 09/02/18

ev: 06/15/11
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

I've never hit anyone and I've never been hit. I don't consider that a coincidence.

That being said I've often wondered about being punched or hit in the face. What it actually feels like and if I'd be able to "take it"

Completely with you on that first part.

I'm pretty sure if punched I'd be in the can't-take-it camp.

Punching someone else? Only in self-defense.
  • I have no doubt I would do what was necessary to protect/defend myself or my family. I just want to know that if I took a shot I could rebound and defend as needed or if I'd be knocked out cold and/or rendered completely useless due to the pain.

It's something that's always intrigued me
    it's a fragile thing, this life we lead.

05/24/06, 06/28/08, 06/30/08, 05/17/10, 09/07/11, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/14/11, 09/15/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 05/05/16, 05/08/16, 08/07/16, 09/02/18

ev: 06/15/11
  • wall232wall232 Posts: 1,346
    edited March 2016
    I was in a few fights when I was a teenager, only one in my twenties and none since then.

Getting hit was never fun but for the most part I didn't feel it during the fight, I guess the adrenaline kept me from feeling it at that point. Within an hour after the fight i would start to realize I had been hit, either in the face or chest or wherever, The worst part of a fight for me was always the butterflies I would get in my stomach and that uneasy feeling right before the first punch was thrown. Most of the times the fight itself was a blur.

I do not regret any fight i ever had, with that said I would not want to get into one now.
    NYPJ
  • Haven't been in a full fight since I was younger. I think everyone should be get punched in the face at least once in their lives. It's a good test to see who you handle yourself in a pinch. In a fight when younger I prefered to get hit early. I tended to "see red" and then just went off.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,123
    I was in a couple of fights when I was younger, but nothing past about the seventh grade. Usually it was people trying to pick on the smart kid not thinking I would fight back. In one, I took a punch just below my right eye. Guy thought I was going to go down, but I absorbed the contact then charged at him like a madman. He ran and good thing he was faster than me because that's the one time I would have just gone berserk. No clue as to what would happen now. I could probably take some punches, but I don't know how I would be fighting back.

OP, is this your way of trying to start an AET Fight Club?
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    I'm a lover, not a fighter! Actually, I was a pretty small kid when I was young, so I had to rely on brains more than brawn. Talked my way out of a few fights when self-preservation instincts kicked in. I also befriended a couple of the bigger kids in school. Having big friends seemed to keep the bullies at bay. Only got in a couple of fights, and never as an adult.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279

I've never hit anyone and I've never been hit. I don't consider that a coincidence.

It completely depends on where you get hit. I've never been in an all-out brawl, but I've been hit a couple times and hit a few people in my day (long time ago).
    The two times I was hit:
    One time I was toe to toe with a dude who was about 5 inches taller and probably 30lbs heavier than me. I looked away briefly and he got me on the forehead above my eye. I landed one on his jaw then everything was broken up. Getting hit in the forehead didn't hurt at all.

The second time I was hit, I was blind sided during a soccer game. Dude came up to me from behind, pulled my shoulder back and clocked me right in the nose. That fucking hurt! Eyes teared up, nosed bled...not fun!
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    In high school, a friend had boxing gloves. Bunch of us would go out in his back yard and take turns beating the crap out of each other.

Early twenties, drunk and stupid, friends and I would trade punches. Just stand there and take it.

About the time Fight Club came out, a friend was a bartender. After hours we'd go down in the basement and fight. He had a few inches on me and 30 lbs., so he let me get a few punches in before kicking my butt.

I had a roommate that taught boxing. Learned the science behind it all.

So, yeah, I've taken a punch. Gave a punch. Had my butt kicked. I don't recall ever being in a fight with a stranger. I got sucker punched in a bar once. Split my lip. Dude ended up getting his nose all busted up by the bouncer.

I do not condone fighting. No one wins in a fight.

And he carries the reminders
    Of every glove that laid him down
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,047
    I used to get in a lot of fights all through high school. Being the only long hair in my class made me stand out.

Getting punched in the face pretty much sucks. I was able to hold my own, though. Karate and Judo were a pretty big part of my childhood so I learned how to fight smart and use my attackers mass and momentum against them. Having two older brothers meant I had to know how to fight at home, too.

If I were to have to fight someone now, I wouldn't trade punches, I'd go for submission holds as soon as possible.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    edited March 2016
    I decked a boy younger than me in HS for making fun of someone dying....never been hit and never hit anyone since then....

I didn't even get in trouble for it.

Edited to add...that an ex boyfriend of mine, during a fight, tried to get in my face...he started shoving me around and I was raised not to take that...I started shoving back harder and he didn't know what to do and he backed down...
    Post edited by PJSiren on
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    that's all we did growing up, my brothers & myself. each other or others. it has been a good long while since anything has happened & that is a good thing. i will not be listing any fistfights in any sort of order & no lengthy, bloody bedtime stories either but the pit of broken glass is probably the best one. as far as pain goes being punched, kicked or kneed in the face... being punched isn't bad compared to being kicked or kneed in the face, well, unless one's jaw gives way, then that hurts. never had a busted jaw but my brother has dealt a few out, that & knocked some teeth across a parking lot like throwing chiclets... you see bullies are stupid & often get hurt. when you feel a violent bully's throat closing shut in your hand hopefully you let go & he lives another day

the end.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    chadwick said:

that's all we did growing up, my brothers & myself. each other or others. it has been a good long while since anything has happened & that is a good thing. i will not be listing any fistfights in any sort of order & no lengthy, bloody bedtime stories either but the pit of broken glass is probably the best one. as far as pain goes being punched, kicked or kneed in the face... being punched isn't bad compared to being kicked or kneed in the face, well, unless one's jaw gives way, then that hurts. never had a busted jaw but my brother has dealt a few out, that & knocked some teeth across a parking lot like throwing chiclets... you see bullies are stupid & often get hurt. when you feel a violent bully's throat closing shut in your hand hopefully you let go & he lives another day

the end.

Oh you mention teeth knocked out...that reminds me...and this was a total accident, but still happened so I might be able to take a punch...I was about 8 I think, I was at the pool, and there were two boys a little older than me playing around rough housing in the pool...it was a public pool for our neighborhood....and I came up out of the water too close to them and took an elbow to the mouth, knocked a baby tooth clean out....and busted my lip open. I cried a little over the pain but I cried more over the fact that I had no idea where the tooth went and the tooth fairy couldn't come get it and pay me....lol I've always had a very high tolerance for pain.
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
    nice story, pjsiren. watch those swimming pool elbows to the mouth. ouch

had the youngest brother's front upper teeth dig into the bridge of my nose in a swimming pool as the middle brother & me launched him back & forth out of the water. he came flying at me mouth wide open... blood everywhere ... pool closed

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Hobbes said:

In high school, a friend had boxing gloves. Bunch of us would go out in his back yard and take turns beating the crap out of each other.

Early twenties, drunk and stupid, friends and I would trade punches. Just stand there and take it.

About the time Fight Club came out, a friend was a bartender. After hours we'd go down in the basement and fight. He had a few inches on me and 30 lbs., so he let me get a few punches in before kicking my butt.

I had a roommate that taught boxing. Learned the science behind it all.

So, yeah, I've taken a punch. Gave a punch. Had my butt kicked. I don't recall ever being in a fight with a stranger. I got sucker punched in a bar once. Split my lip. Dude ended up getting his nose all busted up by the bouncer.

I do not condone fighting. No one wins in a fight.

damn, hobbes. my brothers & me were in boxing also. in the ring is the easy part, training like a dog hours on end everyday is something & so is being punch drunk... used to sleep like a baby when i got home, wow! like physically spent just a bit

hundreds of pushups & setups just gets the afternoon (after school) started

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Hobbes said:

:hug:

• MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,515

I was in a couple of fights when I was younger, but nothing past about the seventh grade. Usually it was people trying to pick on the smart kid not thinking I would fight back. In one, I took a punch just below my right eye. Guy thought I was going to go down, but I absorbed the contact then charged at him like a madman. He ran and good thing he was faster than me because that's the one time I would have just gone berserk. No clue as to what would happen now. I could probably take some punches, but I don't know how I would be fighting back.

OP, is this your way of trying to start an AET Fight Club?

I used to go into an occasional rage and start punching myself in the face.
    I think my wife has weaned me off the Edward Norton approach.

The drunk jock nailed me in the forehead as hard as he could, I just kept walking beside him mocking him. He probably broke his fist.
    I think it was the movie "gladiators" where Brian Denehhy taught boxers to take blows to the forehead because it is the hardest part of the body.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited March 2016
    I've never started a fight in my life, but I've been in quite a few. Got the shit kicked out of me pretty badly a few times.
    The combination of being a twig (150 lbs at 6' back then), with long hair and a big mouth, who made a habit of dating the ex gf's of football players didn't work out so well for me :lol:

Edit: having a little sister who also had a big mouth didn't help, either. Got pummeled by a guy wearing a class ring because I jumped in when he was roughing her up. Two black eyes, busted nose, and ruby-sized chunks of skin missing all over my face. Being a teenager kinda sucked lol
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,898
    Bars in vegas never close....one night of my 25ish birthday, I stumbled out of a bar at 4:30 am and got into it with some guy...it was a short fistfight...I lost.

lifetime record: 0-1
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    Never thrown a punch, never really been in a fight but I have been punched in the chest a couple times. I go down instantly & lose my breath. I have a thin chest wall so hit me hard enough and it could send me into cardiac arrest. Thankfully that has never happened!
    As a measure of personal protection, I rarely go to bars on weekends.
    It wasn't a "fight" per say but in college a friend was drunk and annoying the neighbor girls. They had enough so the girls called some of their "friends". I was at the next house over when I see 6-7 huge dudes (pretty sure they were on the football team and at least 4 of them were pushing 300 lbs) come and try to start shit with my friend. I tried to talk everyone down/keep the peace, but the next thing I know I literally got tossed across the parking lot. Arms, back, legs were all bleeding. The guy that did it seemed like he wasn't satisfied with me being a human shot put, he came over me like he was going to kick the shit out of me but one of his other large friends stopped him. Thank fucking god!
    Moral of the story....if you try to stop a fight, there's about a 80% chance you're going to be involved somehow.
    I rather like the word "fisticuffs".
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,898
    sorry, mca, but I have a funny visual of you being "tossed across the parking lot."

wheeeeeeee!!!! :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I've thrown down a couple times, it isn't fun. I don't have much anger in me (plenty of annoyance though lol) so hitting some dumbass in the face hard enough to deter them from hitting me is a last resort.
    I learned to wrestle in middle school, and at my school people don't fight the wrestlers, couple that with a laid back personality and high school was no big problem.
    My wife and I had a lot of fun in high school so I wasn't trying to fight anything lol :dizzy:

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Wobbie said:

sorry, mca, but I have a funny visual of you being "tossed across the parking lot."

wheeeeeeee!!!! :lol:

Yeah, I kind of wish there was a video of that. I'm curious how far off the ground and the overall distance I flew! hahahahaha
    If you are in the 10 club you are 85% more likely to have been hit than hit someone. :dizzy: