first encore or... second set

TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 536
I think it's time to acknowledge that the first encore is really the second set. Thoughts?
Your light made us stars

Comments

• what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Thank you! I've been calling it a set since . . . it's always been a set.
  • TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 536

Thank you! I've been calling it a set since . . . it's always been a set.

From now on it's "set 2" for me! and I aint hootin and hollerin like they're not going to come back out!
    Your light made us stars
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    It doesn't matter what you call it, when they give you 30+ songs every night. ;)
  • jnikojniko Posts: 298
    Not a set. The set lists clearly state first encore after the 1st set.
  • EarlWelshEarlWelsh Posts: 1,118
    jniko said:

Not a set. The set lists clearly state first encore after the 1st set.

Lieutenant Literal over here
  • ceskaceska Posts: 1,115
    If they come back and play 17 songs, yes, then 2nd set. If they come back and play the usual 7-8-9 songs, then it's first encore.
    An encore is one to three songs. After the performer is done and the fans clap loud enough for them to come back out.

So basically Pearl Jam PLANS not only one, but two encores in advance, for when we clap so loud for them to come back because we actually think they're finished when they leave the first time? And then the second and third encore put together run as long as the originally single planned set?

This is a really silly argument to defend.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,430
    I just call the whole thing a "show" and leave it at that. :smiley:
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    both- they're interchangeable
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,826

It doesn't matter what you call it, when they give you 30+ songs every night. ;)

Exactly. They can call it whatever the hell they want.
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    Call it what you want I just know when they leave the stage the first time they are coming back...they have been doing this too long for us not to expect it, but love how the crowd still cheers for them to come back
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    But what about when they only do one encore? Is that two sets and no encores or one set and one encore? What about three encores? Three sets and one encore or two sets and two encores? These are important questions!
    Tell me the last time there weren't three sets. And the third set truly has become predictable . . . Alive, RITFW, YL with another leading song or two thrown in as a bone. Cue Ed throwing out some tambourines. The second set is the slow, sit down set with the interaction with children on the rail or Ed giving some speech about the meaning of life. Set 2 usually ends with Curdoroy, SOLAT, or Rearviewmirror or a combination of. The first set is the only interesting part of the show for me anymore where I can't predict what will happen next. Every show since Backspacer has followed this pattern, save Moline and the Yield concert.

It's true anyone can call it what they want but nobody can argue that it hasn't become mostly predictable that there will be three groups of songs. First group balls on fire, second group slow tempo, third group the only one that can in any way be called an encore.
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    edited March 2016
    Encore is being done but the crowd pulls you back.not pre-planned..PJ plays sets..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Wouldn't there normally be a planned intermission between sets?
  • choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    jamburger said:

in the world of jambands, sure. pearl jam's first "encore" isn't really an encore though, but i agree most aren't long enough to be a true second set either. think eddie just has a smoke and grabs a new bottle of wine, so it's like a break at work or something. ha.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • KC138045KC138045 Posts: 2,716
    I've always considered them encores even though they are planned. I think all bands plan on coming back out for at-least one encore. The only time I've seen PJ come back out unplanned(at least I don't think it was) was in Columbus '03 when they came back out and played YB. I think Fucking Up was supposed to be the closer.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,404
    Six or one half dozen.....
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202

Tell me the last time there weren't three sets.

Any festival show. Does Wrigley count? Technically the first set was split up by the rain delay and then they only played one encore. The only other shows I've been to that was only two sets were the Ice Bowl and when they opened for Tom Petty.
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,170
    I remember a PJ show I went to here in Melbourne, maybe the '06 tour and people around me started to leave after the main set, and I heard one person questioning whether they'd come back on, and being excited when they did, it was if it was like they weren't expecting an encore.

Maybe the band basically need to play two mini shows.

Imagine opening with release in the second 'set'
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,419

I remember a PJ show I went to here in Melbourne, maybe the '06 tour and people around me started to leave after the main set, and I heard one person questioning whether they'd come back on, and being excited when they did, it was if it was like they weren't expecting an encore.

Maybe the band basically need to play two mini shows.

Imagine opening with release in the second 'set'

Amsterdam II '12. :wink:

• buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    Sort of a side note - I have noticed some other bands don't even leave the stage anymore for an encore. They say something like, "we are over that whole leaving the stage thing and coming back - this is our encore." I think that is lame and you need to do it for showmanship....
    jamburger said:

They take a long enough break for me to go to the bathroom, smoke a cigarette, and buy another beer. That's an intermission.