Options

passed on a chance to meet Jeff

Ever wonder what you would do given the chance to meet a member of the band? I had my opportunity to meet Jeff before the RNDM show in Chicago. Several hours before the show I almost walked right into him by the Double Door. I paused for a second and decided to let the man be. Probably the right thing to do, but kicked myself the rest of the night.

BTW...RNDM puts on a great show!
you're god and you've got big hands

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    There's much to be said for leaving someone be. Good on ya.

Last year we ate lunch right next to Sir Paul and his wife. For two hours I was insanely giddy inside but he was there for lunch too. No way we could intrude on that, on him.

That said, some seem more approachable, even if just to say "thanks".
  • Options
    Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    I think there's a difference between stopping them to shake their hand and tell them what their work/performances mean to you and that you're thankful for it than to stop them and ask for pictures, to sign stuff, to call your friends and let them talk to him, and totally impose yourself in their privacy. If you can keep it to a quick few things to say that's the best. One famous person I met (Jeremy Roenick) actually prolonged our conversation himself which was amazing. But I think most of the time short and sweet is the way to go.
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    Depends on the person. Patrick Ewing doesn't mind to be talked to or sign something.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

Ever wonder what you would do given the chance to meet a member of the band? I had my opportunity to meet Jeff before the RNDM show in Chicago. Several hours before the show I almost walked right into him by the Double Door. I paused for a second and decided to let the man be. Probably the right thing to do, but kicked myself the rest of the night.

BTW...RNDM puts on a great show!

Saw Jeff and his parents and gave him thumbs up and let him be. Only regret was not quickly thanking his parents.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    hedonist said:

There's much to be said for leaving someone be. Good on ya.

Last year we ate lunch right next to Sir Paul and his wife. For two hours I was insanely giddy inside but he was there for lunch too. No way we could intrude on that, on him.

That said, some seem more approachable, even if just to say "thanks".

Good move. Learned when people are eating they really don't want to be bothered. Yeah lame but disturbed Troy Aikman while he was eating. He asked me to come back after he was done. Wasn't smiling. Ha.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    edited March 2016
    I walked into my gym and Rory MciIIroy was working out - I didn't bother him. He proceeded to miss the cut at the Irish open.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    If you almost run into him at a venue where he is going to be playing, I'd say that's the perfect time to stop him and say hi. If he's sitting across a restaurant eating dinner with someone, that is not as ideal of a time to walk up and say hi. You missed your chance, man!

I met Jeff after a Three Fish show in the 90s. He came out after the show and talked to everyone who was still in the bar (small show, not a lot of people, only a handful after the show was over). Very cool. Also met Stone that night who just happened to be in the audience seeing his friend play. This was in Santa Fe and I think Stone was producing albums at a studio somewhere in Santa Fe around that time.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Jeff is cool - :)
    photo 10360364_10206166404456440_6878772487615776920_n 1_zps36r1rgeu.jpg
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    i'm done with waiting for anyone after a show. i did it once many years ago and said never again. passed stone on the street in seattle and gave him a nod, saw jeff in the hotel lobby in newfie land and gave him a nod and said thanks. don't need no autographs or pictures no more.

Never wanted to be no pop singer,
    Never wanted to write no pop songs.
    Never had no weird hair to get my songs over.
    Never wanted to hang out after the show.
    Pop singer (writing) of pop songs.

Never wanted to have my picture taken.
    Now, who would want to look into these eyes?
    Just want to make it real - good, bad or indifferent.
    That's the way that I live and that's the way that I'll die (As a)
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    I met Stone long time ago really nice guy ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085

I think there's a difference between stopping them to shake their hand and tell them what their work/performances mean to you and that you're thankful for it than to stop them and ask for pictures, to sign stuff, to call your friends and let them talk to him, and totally impose yourself in their privacy. If you can keep it to a quick few things to say that's the best. One famous person I met (Jeremy Roenick) actually prolonged our conversation himself which was amazing. But I think most of the time short and sweet is the way to go.

This comment made me laugh about Roenick....A friend and I met him years ago following a morning practice and he actually made his wife wait in the car so he could talk longer with us....great guy
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 689
    I think you did the right thing. About 10 years ago in Seattle, the day after their benefit show at the Paramount with Hearts, POTUSA, etc, I saw Jeff at a shopping mall. We were waiting for a shoe store to open and Jeff walked up with a bag looking like he was going to return some shoes. It was just my wife and I and Jeff was about 20 feet away. My first instinct was to say hi or talk about the previous nights show but I decided to keep quiet. It felt right. It really must be annoying having to talk to people constantly when you just want to run an errand.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,933
    I talked to Jeff after a three fish show back in 96/97/98 (?) at wetlands. We drank beers together and talked for about 15 minutes. Seriously one of the nicest guys ever.
    Having said that I think you made the right move op.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,648
    Passed on bugging Eddie once in 98. Sat directly in front of me for about twenty minutes. That was tough. The guy was really locked in and enjoying himself tho

I would never ask for an autograph in person to a celebrity. Seems lame to me. I shake hands and thank people. Thats it.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    I did the same thing when I saw Stone the next day after a show a few years ago. I have no desire to get anyone's autograph.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    I don't know if i'd ever want to meet the band honestly. I'm not the the type to wait around after a show or do VIP backstage passes. I'm dedicated to the band, but wouldn't call it an obsession.
    I feel like I already know them somewhat through the music they make. The spiritual connection, live experience, and friends is enough for me. Would I like to say thank you to Mike and jam with the guys... Hell fuckin' yeah!!!
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I've met a lot of famous people just through casual happenstance (sitting at the same bar with them, living in the same building, waiting in line for a bagel, pushing our kids on a swing, etc.). The only famous person I made an awkward point of shaking hands with and thanking profusely was Theo Epstein in the late fall of 2004. I just couldn't keep my cool (not that I have much to begin with).
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,585
    From my experience, each of the band members has been warm & friendly when approached in a respectful and courteous manner. Actually, I'd go so far as to say in an environment like the '12 Missoula meet-and-greet you could see slight trepidation on the guys' faces while on stage preparing to engage with the crowd yet as soon as the interactions began the guys were so relaxed as the crowd was calm and passive in their approach.

It's funny. I remember walking into a skate shop with a friend and it was literally empty except for the couple paying at the register who just happened to be the bass player from SUM 41 and his girlfriend. He turned around when he heard us walking in, looked us up and down and literally rolled his eyes and clearly was annoyed as he said something under his breath. I took it to mean he actually thought we were going to approach him and/or bother him for something. We couldn't care less but I did make a point, having noticed his reaction, to grab the 1st thing off the rack and walk right up to the register behind him as if to pay. He hurried to collect his things and walk away but not before I took a lil' dig while he was still withing listening distance and asked the store employee behind the counter "do you guys have the latest Green Day CD?"
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    100 Pacer said:

From my experience, each of the band members has been warm & friendly when approached in a respectful and courteous manner. Actually, I'd go so far as to say in an environment like the '12 Missoula meet-and-greet you could see slight trepidation on the guys' faces while on stage preparing to engage with the crowd yet as soon as the interactions began the guys were so relaxed as the crowd was calm and passive in their approach.

It's funny. I remember walking into a skate shop with a friend and it was literally empty except for the couple paying at the register who just happened to be the bass player from SUM 41 and his girlfriend. He turned around when he heard us walking in, looked us up and down and literally rolled his eyes and clearly was annoyed as he said something under his breath. I took it to mean he actually thought we were going to approach him and/or bother him for something. We couldn't care less but I did make a point, having noticed his reaction, to grab the 1st thing off the rack and walk right up to the register behind him as if to pay. He hurried to collect his things and walk away but not before I took a lil' dig while he was still withing listening distance and asked the store employee behind the counter "do you guys have the latest Green Day CD?"

The skate shop story is hilarious. Well done.
  • Options
    coachchriscoachchris Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada Posts: 749
    My favorite story is still the one of a fan leaving Ed be on an elevator ride with Olivia where she pressed all the buttons :-)
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    I waited after a show outside for Jonny Lang...he was so sweet and genuine, like telling him how amazing his show was and complimenting him was a novel idea to him, he blushed and was so shy it was the most adorable thing ever, really....he signed my poster....but I've never waited for anyone else, never passed anyone by chance either....but I've done meet and greets.

However, at the big Kentucky State fair, my grandma was walking through where the animals were to get cash from an ATM while my cousin and I were at the concert and she walked right passed a very drunk and red faced William Shatner with a young pretty girl on his arm...when she told me she had passed him, I told her she should have told him that her granddaughter loves him!
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    I've run into Tom Delong from Blink 182 a few times in my neighborhood and he couldn't have been nicer. He was shopping at the trader joes with his kids and i simply said I enjoyed his music while he was passing. He stopped to shake my hand and ask my name. He said thank you many times and said he really appreciated hearing that. Nice guy.
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    I met Stone once at a store I was working at. Great dude.

I also smoked cigarettes (even though I don't smoke) and got wasted with Kiefer Sutherland and Tre from Greenday. That was fun (and frightening).
  • Options
    thebuilderthebuilder Rifle, CO Posts: 119
    met stone outside of a hank williams choir show at the showbox, shook his hand and said thanks for the music. shook jeffs hand and said thanks for his music and politcal activness just before the 2012 missoula show when he was stumping (?) for john tester.. both were very nice to shake my hand and say hello, wouldn't/couldn't ask for more.
    Feel free 2 feel free