Options

Who sings for Pearl Jam? 'My friends.'

IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
edited March 2016 in The Porch
A while ago Given To Live was asked if we could help a family see a show in the US. This isn’t something we would normally consider but it so happened that GTL would be in the States seeing Pearl Jam and that money had been raised in the States to be used there. Two birds, one stone, an incredible family and Philadelphia bound are Joshua and his mum and dad, Christina and Josh.

The application came in for Joshua, nine years old with cerebral palsy and an incredible love of Pearl Jam. We’re also so pleased that Christina and Josh are huge Pearl Jam fans as like so many other parents with a child with a disability life can be very challenging so it’s a show for everyone.

Joshua, aka Love Boat Captain as that’s his favourite song, his anthem and the song that soothed him as a baby, is in a wheelchair, has had several major surgeries, very little speech and a wicked smile. When we skyped with mum and dad to tell them what Given To Live wanted to do for them Joshua was there as well, Pearl jam was playing and he insisted dancing was part of the call. OK, UK to US dancing was a first but the smile and him dancing was definitely a fair trade.

We’ve learned so much about Joshua and all he’s been through during many a skype call as we’ve put this thing together. Also about mum and dad.
Mum Christina, has arthritis and a thyroid condition. And like so many parents of children with disabilities simply smiles and says she’s fine. But Joshua is getting bigger and his weight is a lot to bear – in and out of his chair, the bath, bed. It’s painful and tiring for Christina and we are so glad we can give her this trip as well.

The family is based in New Lenox, Illinois where Josh is a Battalion Chief in the Fire Department looking after four station houses. This means twenty four hour shifts when Christina has Joshua and his three year old sister, Maddy, to herself. As Joshua is getting bigger this means the family have to consider moving home or a major refurbishment simply to be able fit a bigger wheelchair Josh, a new bath as he gets too heavy to lift so easily. Things the vast majority of us never have to consider.

As Pearl Jam fans we know what this band gives to each other but not in the individual ways the giving is received. For Christina and Josh Pearl Jam is a gift. Their first love musically but now also Joshua’s. And it’s not simply a favourite band with favourite songs. Pearl Jam is also a comfort to Joshua which is in turn a comfort to mum and dad. Which means Joshua has something all of his own however difficult his situation is. His band, his music.

Having music that soothes and captivates him also means that mum and dad get time to themselves when he’s content on his own listening to a bootleg, watching shows on youtube. That’s a definite upside, the downside…kids with learning difficulties can get a little fixated at times and there are times when there is only one song that needs to be listened to. Say Yellow Ledbetter, from Mexico City in ’03. All day. It happens.
So for GTL to be able to give this trip, a Pearl jam roadtrip, which is what so many fans do or would love to do is a gift for us. It’s a chance for Christina and Josh to do something regular with their son. Take him to a show, share something they all love. We hope to take them to a Wishlist pre-party and hang out with other fans, get their merch, enjoy the day, then the show. Crash of Crashious Roadside fame is a friend of GTL and will be making a hoodie for Joshua especially for the show.

We got a beautiful message about how excited they are about the shows and how Joshua is starting to understand a little about what’s happening. Mum also sent this –

‘We have been working on identifying the band members by sight and instrument. I swear Eddie is the only one he never gets. Joshua, who sings for Pearl Jam?

‘Joshua does.’

‘Joshie, I know you like to sing Pearl Jam, but who sings this song?’

‘My friends.’

The Love Boat Captain is going to see his friends sing in Philly.

(This is written solely for The Porch. We will post to our website in time but this is where Given To Live was conceived, through the music, the fans, the community. Also here a more PJ orientated post makes sense where on our platforms this will be edited. Also, you can read more about Joshua's story here - http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/247294/updated-tiny-guy-big-fan-going-to-philly/p1 )

Thank yous aplenty include Sarah M, Anna N, Dave S, Paul D, Crash Crowley and everyone who donates, buys raffle tickets, shares us on social media without whom none of this gets done.
Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
Post edited by IamTom on

Comments

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    edited March 2016
    Best post I've ever seen on Porch. So happy this is happening! :heart:
    Post edited by Suziemay on
  • Options
    Pipi78Pipi78 Posts: 6
    Wow! I'm really happy for Josh, his mum and dad and GTL to make it happen. Just WOW! The story is incredible and knowing what GTL does I'm sure you guys will have time of your life ! Thank you for sharing. I need something that positive today <3
    Once upon a time I could loose myself ....
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Have fun you guys!
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Beautiful
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Tom! Wow. Just wow! Reading Joshua and family's story - emotional! I won't be at any Philly shows but those Philly shows are always AMAZING! Cannot wait to read the outcome of this and see pictures!!

The title of this thread - I wonder if Joshua has heard Ed refer to us as their friends? Such an Ed thing to say - Joshua's response!

Love this :smiley:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Wow this is fantastic!
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    MrNoCoDeMrNoCoDe Posts: 11
    Amazing job, Tom! Truly an inspired and beautiful thing you are doing for Josh and his family! Can't wait to hear more!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,634
    JOSH ROCKS!!!!

and many thanks to GTL for all they do
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Awesome!!!! So glad that this is happening for Josh and his parents. :smile:
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    Thanks so much for doing this for Joshua. Things like this renew my faith in humanity

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    This is wonderful! Hope to meet them at a Philly show! :)
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    stina1118stina1118 Illinois Posts: 151
    edited March 2016
    First of all, we would like to thank Tom for his hard work and dedication to Given To Live. He's a true hearted person that really is dedicated to the cause.

Also, we want everyone that has supported us to know how much it means to us. Our life can be isolating at times and having this kind of encouragement means the world to our family.

This road trip will provide us with a life time of memories and I can barely contain my excitement!!! I cannot wait to watch Joshua's face light up when he realizes where we are at and what is about to happen!!!

Thank you!!!!!
    The Swanson Family

A new (old) video of Joshua singing LBC when he was 4. He couldn't talk yet so he would scream and squeal during his favorite songs. Warning he's kinda loud!! Lol
    https://youtu.be/zTddEzPxBRA
    Post edited by stina1118 on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    And one more video... This is a little bit about his journey! Thanks again

https://youtu.be/0kPGcCwOeII
  • Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    He is truly an angel !!! :hug:
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Damn it, who's cutting all these onions in here? Great story and great job GTL.
  • Options
    Never lose that beautiful smile, Joshua! :heart: And a giant THANK YOU to Tom. Live music has helped me (and continues to help me) get through life, and I take for granted the kind of access that I have. You're a wonderful human being for making this possible for music fans who may not be as fortunate (as fortunate) as me :heart:
  • Options
    bmulvanybmulvany Posts: 156
    Wonderful story and I hope that Joshua Christina and Josh have a blast at the show

Great work Tom
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,292
    :clap: GTL! :plus_one: Keep on rockin' hard Captain Josh! :rock_on:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,859
    awesome :clap:
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    lolobugg said:

Thanks so much for doing this for Joshua. Things like this renew my faith in humanity

You said it. And well done, GTL! The Swansons are quite a Jamily, and Josh is the Captain! Enjoy the trip, and the show!!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I seriously love you all!!!! Each comment means the world to us. We can't wait to share our adventure with you all!!
  • Options
    JS188455JS188455 Posts: 107
    So Awesome! Enjoy the show.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    in a world full of crap and negativity...loved seeing this...more than happy for you guys!!!!
    this brought a smile to my face and hope the show brings many of them to you!!!
  • Options
    gibbitsgibbits Posts: 500
    What a great story, thanks!
  • Options
    Up
  • Options
    :rock_on:
  • Options
    pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 At a Pearl Jam show, hopefully. Posts: 653
    edited March 2016
    I had no idea this thread was going to be about Joshua and the Swanson family! My favorite story to follow... LBC in Philly for this beautiful bunch. This keeps it's place on page 1! :peace:
    Post edited by pearlgirl52 on
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,478
    Truly amazing, enjoy the show LBC!!!
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,200
    Wow. Well deserved and what an amazing story. Pearl Jam fans are so fucking good to each other, I love it! Kudos!
  • Options
    IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    Hi All,

A few have asked about Given To Live
    and how, why, what... here's a link - http://www.giventolive.com/#!about/ccjb

Thank you all for your kind words. We receive generous feedback at times for the work we do, to receive it in here, the community of the band where the inspiration for GTL came from means that little bit more. Thank you.
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.