AC DC: Brian Johnson forced to retire, who should fill in on vocals?

nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
http://www.acdc.com/news?n_id=274

I've heard Dave Grohl floated out there and I think he would be a good choice. Who else would you want to see? Not really a fan of guest vocalists, but if its your only chance to see them, who would make sense?
'98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
'06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
'09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
'11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
'14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
'16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
'17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1

Comments

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    Why not just cancel and retire at this point?
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348

Why not just cancel and retire at this point?

i see it both ways
    i mean they are probably the only band to ever repalce a singer and it stuck and they were successful. maybe they feel like they want to give something to those fans that had tix.. i generally think replacing a singer is cheesy, but in light of what happened, if someone like grohl came in i think that would be a good fit. i cant imagine getting too jazzed up about a paul rodgers or someone similar.. i dunno.. its a tough question, wondering who else would be likely
  • pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 At a Pearl Jam show, hopefully. Posts: 653
    What?!
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    First, this is sad news. Thankful I saw them already this tour. It'd be difficult to replace Brian.

If he had to be replaced for the remainder of the tour, for some reason Jack Black came to mind. :i_dunno:
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    No one. Cancel and refund the money.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    they have come out and said theyre playing.. so the question is- who?
  • dr122931dr122931 Posts: 455
    Brian cannot be replaced. If I had tickets to an upcoming show and wasn't offered a refund, I would be beyond livid. I understand Brian replaced Bon, but that was 35+ years ago and Brian has made his mark (to say the very least) on the band's catalogue. At this point in their career, he's irreplaceable. Not to mention, Malcom will never play with them again (and Rudd appears to be gone as well). They need to call it a day. We were damn lucky to have them around as long as we did. I saw them twice on Black Ice tour and they hadn't lost a beat. I was shocked a dude Brian's age could do what he did. I unfortunately missed them on this tour, but I heard they were amazing in Houston 2 weeks ago
    Thanks for the bad ass tunes AC/DC and best wishes to Brian and Malcom.
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Call it a day. They had a great run, but all things must end. Got to see them in the 90's with the Beavis and Butthead opening and again in the early 00's. Good times.
  • Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    Wow, glad I was able to see them on this last tour. Their website says that ticket holders can attend the rescheduled show OR get a refund. It's a shame for anyone that was going to see them for the first/last time but they will have a choice of guest vocalist or refund.
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    a Bon Scott hologram
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    so sad i think its over too
    but i loved the song
    let there be rock
    and you shook me all night long
    and
    can i sit next to you girl
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,742
    Yeah it might be time to wrap it up. But who knows what it takes to call it quits when you can walk away with $40,000-60,000 a night for playing an instrument for 2 hours.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg

Yeah it might be time to wrap it up. But who knows what it takes to call it quits when you can walk away with $40,000-60,000 a night for playing an instrument for 2 hours.

it does make me wonder if they will try to find new members to fill in or not
    crazy thought that a band can live on like that if really desired by former members etc
    cant think of anyone whos done that off the top of my head
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Aw man that hilarious, made NW swallow the wrong way. :smile:

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

so whats wrong with brian johnson can anyone tell me bc i heard on the radio that hes told by docs to stop touring right away but left us in suspense and nobody has mentioned it here
    Apparently he will have total hearing loss if he continues to tour. That's why he must immediately stop touring. I thought the band had better noise protection on stage. I must say of the hundreds of concert I've seen ACDC Is by far the loudest. My ears still ring even after wearing earplugs, the only band I've worn them to.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

edited March 2016
    oh that would suck, especially for a musician
    and i liked brian johnson, he didnt do too bad
    replacing bon scott
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    arnel pineda.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

arnel pineda.

and your point ??
    is it a secret ??
    or is he maybe the next front man ??
    bc he doesnt seem to have the husky
    brian johnson voice or does he ??
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    g under p said:

Apparently he will have total hearing loss if he continues to tour. That's why he must immediately stop touring. I thought the band had better noise protection on stage. I must say of the hundreds of concert I've seen ACDC Is by far the loudest. My ears still ring even after wearing earplugs, the only band I've worn them to.

Peace

I agree it being the loudest concert. My ears rang for three days after. Between the damn canon and the sledge on that bell, not sure what was worse...

As for the band it would be cool to have a replacement singer and finish off. Maybe have another guest or two fill in as a tribute almost.

I got to see them during the Razors edge tour. First concert ever.
  • TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    I saw them only in Louisville on the Ballbreaker tour... That was that last album i really listened to a lot by them, war machine and Stiff upper Lip were good songs though. Top 3 concert for sure. I hope they do not continue as AC/DC without Brian after they fulfill these last shows. If Angus loves music, maybe get a new guy to sing, play blues and the Bon Scott years in clubs.
  • i think they ll call it quits if Brian cant go on or take an "indefinite break". in my opinion the only replacement would be Jimmy Barnes (Cold Chisel) both (Brain Scott and Jimmy Barnes are scottish born Australian singers and I think Jimmy has the right vocals
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    It's time to go off into the sunset ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    im with josevolution on this. i only ever saw the band with brian. after a few tours it was bon who? imo
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    With Angus Young suffering dementia and Brian Johnson going deaf, they really should do the honorable thing and retire the band. Sad as they may seem, it really would be the sensible thing to do.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I waited on the band after a Fly On The Wall tour in Hampton VA at Denny's 3:30 in the morning. In came the road crew the band except Angus. I took care of the band and the counter with the road crew, at first when told what great show and what fun it was they didn't believe me. So I show my red tour tshirt from the show that's when they believed me. Talked to Brian and Phil Rudd who so gracious and nice. Thick accents that was tough to decipher what they were saying or it could've been my excitement in seeing them up live and in person. One of the roadies left, walked out to the bus and came back to the counter with all sorts of ACDC stuff including a AAP to all the future shows on the tour. I wasn't able to go anymore shows but the package of stuff was beyond awesome.

That Black Ice tour and the two shows I saw was so loud to me I can just imagine what it was doing to Brians hearing. They must have known how bad his hearing was before this tour and should have been prepared for the worst. I wish them well, I've followed the band for long time but maybe it's time to say goodbye.....they're a fun band live.

Peace

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I agree on AC/DC being one of the loudest shows. Wore earplugs and ears still rang.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    nycrats said:

i mean they are probably the only band to ever repalce a singer and it stuck and they were successful.

Tell that to Paul Di'Anno.