Options

My Future Lottery Proposal

mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,181
Here is my proposal for making the lottery more fair and attempting to make sure that everybody gets at least one show that they try for. Instead of doing a single stage lottery, they split it up into multiple stages.

Stage 1: Works the same way as it does now, pick from 1st choices then 2nd choices etc, but once you get chosen your name is removed from other lotteries. They would have to pick 1st choices for all of the options before moving on to 2nd choices to make sure nobody can win their 2nd choice before they win their 1st choice.
Stage 2: Everybody goes back in and it starts over for any options that have tickets available.

Repeat this until all tickets are gone.

This would eliminate the situation where there are two people with the same first and second choices but one gets both and the other gets neither. The odds of getting your first choice would remain exactly the same, but the odds of getting your second choice after losing your first choice would be much greater. Now, if you only choose one option then this doesn't change anything for you, but the chances of you getting shut out completely would be very low if you choose multiple options.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    RatsTJRatsRatsTJRats Boston Posts: 431
    No offense, but I don't think people really care anymore...too many complaint and suggestion posts to read through for 1 lifetime!
    This could be the day
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    edited February 2016
    Agree that it's kind of BS some of us totally lost out on both Fenway shows. At the same time though, I don't believe the same rules would have applied if they had a way to gauge demand for Night 1 relative to Night 2. I think these results were sort of a fluke and I'm sure the 10C understands the circumstances are somewhat unfair. I get it. It's a lottery. It's random. At the same time, we all pay the same membership fees. If one person can score two shows to the same venue while another can't score one, some members are receiving privilege, albeit at random, over other members. This should NOT happen.
    Post edited by AlaG on
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,272
    The way you describe it is a bit confusing. I imagine it's more and more technical doing the lotteries, the more rules you put in, so I try and think of it in the simplest way possible. Maybe for round 2, they split it into two lottery pulls. 2nd priority with no previous tickets, then 2nd priority with previous tickets. Less people would have multiple tickets but more people would have a single pair.

It would help split the tickets when performing multiple shows in the same city, and it would help full leg tours, when people select GA/Reserved for a single show get trumped by people choose Reserved/Reserved from two different shows.

I feel the Lotto system is pretty good, but there is that one thing that feels like it could use tweaking, as it creates opportunities for some people two get two pairs and some people to get none.

There's limitations on how you can do it for full tours because you don't know what people will get in future draws. If you draw shows in chronological order you can really only base it on what's been pulled so far.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Zod said:

The way you describe it is a bit confusing. I imagine it's more and more technical doing the lotteries, the more rules you put in, so I try and think of it in the simplest way possible. Maybe for round 2, they split it into two lottery pulls. 2nd priority with no previous tickets, then 2nd priority with previous tickets. Less people would have multiple tickets but more people would have a single pair.

It would help split the tickets when performing multiple shows in the same city, and it would help full leg tours, when people select GA/Reserved for a single show get trumped by people choose Reserved/Reserved from two different shows.

I feel the Lotto system is pretty good, but there is that one thing that feels like it could use tweaking, as it creates opportunities for some people two get two pairs and some people to get none.

There's limitations on how you can do it for full tours because you don't know what people will get in future draws. If you draw shows in chronological order you can really only base it on what's been pulled so far.

Maybe I didn't explain it properly. For round 2 it would be just 2nd priority with no previous tickets, then round 3 would be just 3rd priority with no previous tickets, etc. If after all that there are tickets still available, then it starts over and people can get second pairs. This way nobody gets a second pair before everyone gets a first pair, if possible. Then nobody gets a third pair before everyone gets a second pair, if possible. It doesn't matter what order you draw the shows in because you're only doing one priority at at time.
  • Options
    I like it.
  • Options
    pawlowski1097pawlowski1097 Philadelphia, PA Posts: 571
    The only people who want a new lottery system are those who lost, I want to be luckier god dammit. The lottery is solid as is. But this is just my opinion. I lost out 0-6 last two lotterys and I wish luck had my name drawn. But o well guess it's just paying more dough and ticket master for me.
  • Options
    Comatose PilateComatose Pilate Maine Posts: 353
    I only have one complaint with the lottery. It was my understanding that when this new lottery system was put in to place it was to "even the playing field" and make things more fair. The fact that tons of people won both nights for example to Fenway while others lost both nights doesn't seem right. You can say whatever you want about the odds /priorities and other factors but in my opinion none of that should matter. Obviously when people put in for both nights (regardless what their priority picks are) it means they really don't care they're willing to go to either night. Having said that, I'd think the 10c would understand that logic and only give people both nights if tickets were left over. It's not too complicated really. Just my opinion... Happy touring everyone!
    1996: Augusta
    1998: Montreal, Mansfield I&II
    2000: Mansfield I&II, Montreal
    2003: Las Vegas, Toronto, Montreal, Mansfield I&III
    2005: Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I&II
    2007: Lollapalooza
    2008: Bonnaroo, Camden I&II, Hartford, Mansfield I&II
    2009: Philadelphia III&IV
    2010: Hartford, Boston, New York City II
    2011: Alpine Valley I&II
    2013: Buffalo, Worcester I&II, Hartford, Los Angeles I&II
    2014: Tulsa, Lincoln
    2016: New York City I&II, Quebec City, Boston I&II, Chicago I&II
    2017: New York 
    2018: Seattle I&II, Boston I&II
  • Options
    Good ideas.
    1998: Pitt
    2000: Pitt
    2003: Pitt, State College, Columbus,DC, Hershey
    2004: Reading, Toledo, DC
    2005: Pitt
    2006: Cleve, Camden 1+2, DC, Pitt, Cinci
    2008: Camden 1+2, DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Columbus
    2012: Philly
    2013: Pitt, NYC 1+2
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,937
    There should be a tweak when it comes to 2nd priority. Particularly when there are two shows in the same market. If the second night reaches a second draw, those who lost out on night 1 should get the first crack. If any tickets remain then a third draw can be held for night 1 winners. It should have been done this way for Fenway and Wrigley.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    edited February 2016
    Cant happen
    Cos i want to go to shows there are tix available and i can get all my ,lets say 4 picks
    This has nothing to do with how many picks u enter..and in different shows than you
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    mattcoz said:

Zod said:

Maybe I didn't explain it properly. For round 2 it would be just 2nd priority with no previous tickets, then round 3 would be just 3rd priority with no previous tickets, etc. If after all that there are tickets still available, then it starts over and people can get second pairs. This way nobody gets a second pair before everyone gets a first pair, if possible. Then nobody gets a third pair before everyone gets a second pair, if possible. It doesn't matter what order you draw the shows in because you're only doing one priority at at time.
    And now u explain it shows u dont understand the system
    I want to go msg and jax
    U want to go to msg and philly
    I won msg first priority . u lost your msg
    So there are tix for me in jax and i cant get them cos u didnt win your msg 1st and and lost philly as well cos gone to people with 1sr priority??..the rickets are available must be sold to people wants them even as 10th priority
    Its impossible to do it as u saying
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    mattcoz said:

Zod said:

Some version of this makes sense. People are going to shit on this idea. No surprise there. Not everyone will be happy, but some changes need to happen to "spread the love". People getting 2-4 shows when others get 0 for the same shows is shit. It doesn't matter what your number is.
  • Options
    rival9500 said:

mattcoz said:

Zod said:

Some version of this makes sense. People are going to shit on this idea. No surprise there. Not everyone will be happy, but some changes need to happen to "spread the love". People getting 2-4 shows when others get 0 for the same shows is shit. It doesn't matter what your number is.
    If u put 4 ga shows and shut out and another guy put same 4 shows seated and score all 4 has nothing to do with lottery ..had to do with supply and demand and u wanted ga and the other guy wanted to be in the venue
    At anouncement all infos are there
    U read and u make choices..when u know ga are less tickets available than seated which was clear at the announcement and all goes first priorities for ga is not lottery problem
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,851
    The only change needed is the ability to win single tickets.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options

The only change needed is the ability to win single tickets.

I agree
  • Options

rival9500 said:

mattcoz said:

Zod said:

If u put 4 ga shows and shut out and another guy put same 4 shows seated and score all 4 has nothing to do with lottery ..had to do with supply and demand and u wanted ga and the other guy wanted to be in the venue
    U read and u make choices..when u know ga are less tickets available than seated which was clear at the announcement and all goes first priorities for ga is not lottery problem
    I think the GA risk is understood, or it should be. I personally prefer a lottery without GA option which many others have suggested. Regardless, something needs to change. Many on here feel the same. There are some good ideas around here.
  • Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    I have a proposal too
    I call it the You win some, You lose some proposal
  • Options

The only people who want a new lottery system are those who lost

I won GA for Wrigley 2, I just feel bad for those who got shut out.
  • Options
    the_donthe_don Posts: 512
    for 2 nighters, there shouldn't be a preference, just that you're willing to go to either night. That may help with some people getting shut out completely.
    2000: Montreal 2003: Toronto 2005: Toronto 2006: Toronto x2 2008: MSG x2, Montreal x2 (EV), Toronto x2 (EV) 2009: Toronto 2010: Buffalo 2011: Detroit (EV), PJ20 x2, Montreal, Toronto x2, Ottawa, Hamilton 2013: London, Buffalo, Brooklyn x2, Philly x2 2014: Detroit 2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x2, Fenway x2 2018: Home Shows x2 2020: L.A. x2, Oakland x2 
    2023: Seattle x2 (EV) 2024: Vancouver x2, Seattle x2 (ISO: 1 N1 Seattle GA)
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    rival9500 said:

I personally prefer a lottery without GA option which many others have suggested. Regardless, something needs to change. Many on here feel the same. There are some good ideas around here.

This is the #1 change that would improve the lottery IMO. I have provided my reasoning 50x too many.

2nd would be what the OP is alluding to. Some kind of drawing method that makes it impossible for someone to land 2 shows before someone who can land 1 of the same shows. 2nd round would give priority to those who lost in round 1.

3rd would be some sort of # of shows preference. Say I'm going for some high demand shows because they are convenient, but get shut out, but would be willing to give a low-demand travel show a shot if I get denied as a safety net, it should be possible/easy to specify # of shows. That way I cant get stuck with 4 tickets to different shows in different cities if I get too "lucky". This actually kind of happened to me this round.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited February 2016

rival9500 said:

mattcoz said:

Zod said:

completely agree with you....

Not all but most of what I have seen with people getting shut out of the lottery is how they are picking their priorities...if you chose all GA as your priority for every pick you are basically screwing yourself

when they announced Wrigley the first time there was no way I was going for GA that was my last choice I went for seats and won....when I went for St. Louis GA I made it my first priority because I felt the home show would benefit me some (eventho there is nothing saying so) and it did for GA. With Lexington I went for GA first being that it was a less in demand show and close to me in proximity and I won GA again...I have a method to my madness which is basically luck I supposed but you have to be smart with all your picks and always picking GA isn't going to benefit you.

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    ^^^ I dont think that example applies to what the OP is saying. GA and reserved are 'separate' shows right now for the sake of the lottery. So if person A put in for reserved and got one, person B put in for all reserved and didnt get chosen, they wouldnt affect one another.

In the simplest terms, say two people chose Wrigley I Res 1st, and Wrigley II Res 2nd. Right now, person A can win both shows, while person B can be shut out of the same choices and have nothing.

Say person A got Wrigley Reserved I and Person B missed Wrigley GA I, both put Wrigley II reserved as their 2nd priority, Person B would be eligible for winning the Wrigley II Res tickets as a priority before person A who already landed show I.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,272
    The thing is, if they addressed it, I'm not sure how much of an impact it would have. In my estimation the difficulty in getting tickets keeps leading to more people buying memberships. If they modify it so it's extremely hard to get two pairs of tickets on a tour, then people will enroll wives/friends/family to get even more memberships.

With digital memberships being $20, it's extremely cheap to figure out who you want to go to the concerts with and get them to get memberships too.

That's how I feel anyways. Long gone are the days where people milked the benefits of my 10c membership. If they want to come they need 10c memberships too :)
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

^^^ I dont think that example applies to what the OP is saying. GA and reserved are 'separate' shows right now for the sake of the lottery. So if person A put in for reserved and got one, person B put in for all reserved and didnt get chosen, they wouldnt affect one another.

In the simplest terms, say two people chose Wrigley I Res 1st, and Wrigley II Res 2nd. Right now, person A can win both shows, while person B can be shut out of the same choices and have nothing.

Say person A got Wrigley Reserved I and Person B missed Wrigley GA I, both put Wrigley II reserved as their 2nd priority, Person B would be eligible for winning the Wrigley II Res tickets as a priority before person A who already landed show I.

That fair to happen if its the same venue-town..and not for different cities
    But still the odds are there..u need to understand them
    For exable msg...lets say u put msg 1 ga first....
    Why the hell u put msg 2 ga as 2nd priority???..its a lost before the draw!!!!!
    Ga at msg will go ONLY to some has it 1st priority..end of story..its so obvious
    And cos u know u cant win both nights at msg..directly u go -to another city and only seated
    So thats how people won msg ga and second philly seated
    ..and them some others put
    Msg 1 ga
    Msg 2 ga
    Phily 1 ga
    Philly 2 ga

Aka..u will get 0 or 1..u knew it before the draw
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,830
    MayDay10 said:

They have done this in the past though. Its not like they haven't. Look at PHI and MSG shows. You could not win the second night or vice versa and that allowed someone that got shut out of their first choice a better shot at their second. I think the problem with these ballpark shows was that Tenclub was a little worried that they would not be able to fill the seats if they only allowed one night. The way I see it there really should have been 3 separate draws for the second show. First priority then Second Priority (only the ones that missed winning the first night or did not put in for it) and if needed Second Priority( those who were lucky enough to win the first night) That said its a lotto. Some win and some lose its not always fair.
  • Options
    rival9500 said:

rival9500 said:

mattcoz said:

Zod said:

I think the GA risk is understood, or it should be. I personally prefer a lottery without GA option which many others have suggested. Regardless, something needs to change. Many on here feel the same. There are some good ideas around here.
    Ga is here to stay at norht america as all the rest of the world so many years now
    And by far with ga there are more tix avaivable for the fan club than with seats on the flor
    People need to read and understand how to put their entries and how many chances they have with the way they put their priorities
    The system is great and fzir and if they sell single tix would be perfect
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,937
    rival9500 said:

rival9500 said:

mattcoz said:

Zod said:

I agree that the GA risk should be understood but I don't believe that it is and I know it wasn't going into the spring tour lotteries. The number of screenshots I saw here and on Facebook of people with MSG GA 1 and 2 followed by Philly GA 3 and 4 was kind of mindboggling. And people weren't just furious they didn't win, they were legitimately surprised.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PJNB said:

This is a good take on this, if you would have limited the amount for these ball park shows then the Sunday and Monday shows would be half full

• Options
    RatsTJRatsRatsTJRats Boston Posts: 431
    JimmyV said:

rival9500 said:

rival9500 said:

mattcoz said:

Zod said:

I agree that the GA risk should be understood but I don't believe that it is and I know it wasn't going into the spring tour lotteries. The number of screenshots I saw here and on Facebook of people with MSG GA 1 and 2 followed by Philly GA 3 and 4 was kind of mindboggling. And people weren't just furious they didn't win, they were legitimately surprised.
    Its a greed thing too. Its not enough to just be in the building, people need to be in GA. Its the same with the Fenway and Wrigley shows. People are already on here looking for 10C tickets before the shows are even sold out. Try your luck with the presales and public sales before coming here. People think that they are entitled to the best shows in the house to every show they want....doesn't work that way, just be happy to have an extra chance to be there.
    This could be the day
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    JimmyV said:

rival9500 said:

rival9500 said:

mattcoz said:

Zod said:

if someone really won GA to all four of those shows then the lottery isn't the problem they are the luckiest SOB's on the planet and need to play the real lottery ha