Options

AFTER SEEING BRUCE PLAY THE RIVER SEEING ALBUMS PLAYED IS AN UN BELIEVABLE EXPERIENCE

2»

Comments

• Options
    PeterEDPeterED Posts: 365

PeterED said:

PeterED said:

I was there. Thought it was horrific. Of the 18 bruce shows I've seen that was the 18th best. No spice in it whatsoever. I think I've had more fun at funerals than during Point Blank. ...

Are you talking about the ACC show on Feb 2nd, or one of his other dates?

PeterED said:

I was there. Thought it was horrific. Of the 18 bruce shows I've seen that was the 18th best. No spice in it whatsoever. I think I've had more fun at funerals than during Point Blank. ...

Are you talking about the ACC show on Feb 2nd, or one of his other dates?

Last night! Acc Feb 2?
    ACC = Air Canada Centre

I was there too - I thought it was a fantastic show. And one of the best Toronto crowds I've ever been a part of.
    That should have been an ! instead of a ? in my second sentence. I honestly didnt care for the show. It was a fry cry from what I was used to seeing from him.
    Fair enough.

Bring on May 10/11.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,880
    I was at 3 of those 5 MMJ shows. They were phenominal even though I knew what songs were coming next.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    unfortunately people who say they are looking for different energy are really the ones who want a night of rocking hits. there are so many bruce fans who only know him from 84 on ,they don't appreciate the beginnings and just want mostly hits. hey to each there own. from a musicologist point of view last night was very special. i'm just saying that was a show i won't forget. i would probably feel the same with some pj albums played in full like those who witnessed pj doing the same on those few rare times. i would bet the majority would brag "they were there".
  • Options
    GivenToJam88GivenToJam88 NJ Posts: 1,187
    edited February 2016
    I was at MSG and Prudential, The River is one of my favorite Bruce albums and seeing all those songs some of which are extremely rare (as mentioned multiple times) was phenomenal but it definitely takes away from the spontaneity and with Meet Me In The City opening every show and the album being 2 discs, there is not much room left for other songs and the encores (and even some of the songs after The River) don't seem to be changing up night to night so both shows I went to, as with the tour as a whole, seem similar.

That being said, I still got tickets for Barclays. I'll sing the same Bruce songs at the top of my lungs every night of the week!

I think there are ways he can bring some spontaneity to the tour while still playing The River in full. He could play it backwards. Play disc 1, a different full album (or mix of songs) and then play disc 2. Or simply play every song but in a random order and with other songs mixed in. Hopefully he'll try something like this at one or multiple shows.

See you on tour!
    2006: 5/28
    2008: 6/19, 6/24, 6/25
    2009: 6/14 (EV), 10/27, 10/28
    2010: 5/17
    2011: 6/21 (EV), 6/22 (EV), 9/11, 9/12
    2012: 9/2
    2013: 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/21, 10/22, 10/27, 11/23, 11/24
    2014: 10/19
    2016: 5/1, 5/2, 5/8
    2018: 8/20, 9/2, 9/4
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    I prefer PJ's way (at least with PJ). It makes it feel more special if you are at a show where this occurs. The one exception would be if they played a few nights in Red Rocks and played an album a night.

With that said, I have enjoyed when other bands have done it.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    with pearl jam they don't have double albums. so in that case it would leave lots of room for plenty of other songs. there are special moments in rock history. seeing the river live is one of them. it would be the same for a full pj album. when the who toured quadraphenia and tommy do you think many people complained that they played the full albums. i have been going to shows for 43 years . people have lost the feel of the art they are seeing. so seeing the river live and greetings from asbury park,as well as when rush played a full album were incredible to me. i just hope they do very different shows like in 2003 at the dte in michigan. 2 shows 61 songs 1 repeated. can't wait
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    The Pumpkins did Oceania front to back their entire tour. We knew that going in, and I enjoyed it. I am probably in the minority, in that I go to a show to hear new material from a band I like. So if the band knows how to sequence an album properly, then playing it live front to back should make sense and not hamper the flow of the concert.

I was at St Paul. Sandwiched between No Code and Yield. It was the anniversary of Vs. They started to play Go, and I was insanely excited, thinking they would play it front to back. I was at first disappointed that they didn't, but also really enjoyed the spontaneity of the show.

I don't go to a show to necessarily hear the hits. I go to a show to hear what the band wants to play (one thing that bothers me about the Headstones-their set is mainly hits with a few cover tags thrown in, but largely all the same songs each night). I think when a band like PJ plays an album front to back, it's a special experience. I would absolutely love it. In 25 years, they've done it 4 times. That's pretty cool.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668

In 25 years, they've done it 4 times. That's pretty cool.

To me this is what makes it cool. Doing it every single night of the same tour, I don't know, just seems synthetic.

• Options
    sloveniaslovenia Posts: 102
    ACC show was great. pj shows are great because you don't know what's coming, but going to Bruce's show, you knew beforehand that he was going to play 'the river' from start to finish in order. so to be disappointed that there was no spontaneity, you had to know what was coming when you bought the ticket.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    foodboy said:

unfortunately people who say they are looking for different energy are really the ones who want a night of rocking hits. there are so many bruce fans who only know him from 84 on ,they don't appreciate the beginnings and just want mostly hits. hey to each there own. from a musicologist point of view last night was very special. i'm just saying that was a show i won't forget. i would probably feel the same with some pj albums played in full like those who witnessed pj doing the same on those few rare times. i would bet the majority would brag "they were there".

Thank you - that is exactly how I feel. Have been a Bruce fan since the 70's. I can't begin to say how thrilled I am to be seeing Bruce in Albany next Monday play The River. The issue of not knowing what is coming next is a non-issue - I *want* to hear all those songs! And speaking of bragging that they were 'there', I saw Clarence Clemons' last show in Buffalo, where they played the whole of Greetings From Asbury Park NJ. The same night, Bruce went up next to Clarence, and he and Clarence morphed into the exact pose that is on Born to Run. It was an otherwordly moment and even more poignant in hindsight since it was his last show. I am anticipating Monday night in a way that I can't begin to even put it into words. Bruce is more than just rocking hits. What would be another cool thing is if he toured around performing Nebraska. I'd get divorced, disown my kids, and give it up my day job to follow that tour around. (j/k but....)

And keeping it semi-PJ related since this is the porch, the album I'd like to see them do in it's entirety is Yield. How awesome would that be?

R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    foodboy said:

unfortunately people who say they are looking for different energy are really the ones who want a night of rocking hits.

With all due respect between this and people "not getting it" you make an awful lot of generalizations about people you don't know. Just remember when you post things in a forum not everyone will agree, it's part of the normal discussion process.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    foodboy said:

unfortunately people who say they are looking for different energy are really the ones who want a night of rocking hits. .

this isn't accurate at all. actually, could be the exact opposite. if PJ were to do an album front to back, it potentially takes time away from possible deep cuts/b-sides, as the band still has to play the usual hits that the casual fans are there for.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    thank you jane ny. you are going to get goosebumps seeing the river live. i hadn't heard some of those songs since the river tour. take it all in because your mind is going to be blown since you are a fan from the 70's like myself. my first show was the darkness tour which was a life changing musical experience .by the way i was at that buffalo show too. i personally asked for riot act to be played in toronto previously. but anything would be cool. i just want them to really let loose this tour . no album to promote and a large catalogue.