Options

Not For You

Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
edited November 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
I've been wondering exactly where this version of Not For You that came from. I don't have the whole thing. I have this Lollapallooza Miami 1992 video, and the opening has some titles, with part of the song playing. The closing titles have the end parts of the song. At first, I thought it was the original studio version of the song, but it's not. Then somehow I ended up thinking it was the official Self-Pollution recording that's available on the Hype! soundtrack compilation from 1996. I happen to have that show, but I don't have the Soundtrack cd.

So I took the bits of the song from the Lolla vid, and tried to match them up with the version from my Self-Pollution boot. They don't seem to match up. And after raising the audio levels for the second half of the audio clip, I can hear some crowd noises in the background. That's something that you obviously wouldn't hear in a closed off radio studio. Sounds like an arena or stadium now.

Here's the clip:
http://media.putfile.com/Not-For-You-alternate-version

This has to be a soundboard recording...obviously with that kind of quality it can't be an audience one. Anyone have any clue what date this was? The source of this very high quality, almost studio sounding version of Not For You?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I don't know, but to my ears it sounds like Matt drumming.
  • Options
    FedericoFederico Posts: 7,916
    It is clearly a matt cameron version, so it must be from any official bootleg from 2000 to this days..or a good one from 98
  • Options
    DUDE EVERY OFFICAL BOOTLEG I SEEN NEVER HAD NOT FOR YOU ON IT, WTF THATS MY FAVORITE SONG.

Which ones from actually have that? I love to hear it live besides the sub pop cd one :)
  • Options
    bump, no one knows?
  • Options
    SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    Don't know, but it sounds a bit like it might be from a 2000-era show (as a rough guess).

Not For You is on a LOT of the official boots, you can confirm this just by a glance at the Concert Chronology on pearljam.com or theskyiscrape.com.

The whole 2000, 2003, 2005 & 2006 tours (with a few exceptions) were released as official bootlegs so there's a lot to narrow it down to.
  • Options
    wow really? because my record stores happen to carry all of the ones that don't have them.
  • Options
    SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    fenceface wrote:
    wow really? because my record stores happen to carry all of the ones that don't have them.

Only the 2000 tour and a small amount of 2003 shows were released to stores, so they're the only ones you'll ever see there. The majority of Pearl Jam's official boots have only ever been released online.

As I said, you can easily see which official bootlegs feature Not For You by glancing at the Concert Chronology at the links above. It's on a lot of them, it's a pretty common song. You should be able to find download links to many of these shows in the Download threads on this site or may I also recommend the Trading forum on Red Mosquito:

http://www.theskyiscrape.com/forums/

You'll also be able to find some on some blogs such as:

http://inthepresenttense.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    alright cool thanks.