Options

they need a hometown show option

they can still keep the lottery but they need to put a hometown show option. each member gets 1 show to pick as their "hometown show" (obviously they gotta verify it somehow) and when they do the lottery for each show the people who chose that as their hometown show get picked first, then any tix left after that go in priority order.

i dont care what anyone says, its not fair for people to get shut out for shows that live in the area. some guy on facebook from arizona won msg2 and philly1, hes going solo so he wants to trade 1 of his tickets for 1 ticket to the other msg and philly shows so he can go to all 4, and he'll probably do it. meanwhile i work 5 blocks from msg lived in ny my entire life and have been in fan club since '97 and get shut out. great for him but i feel like new yorkers should get priority for such a high demand show. and theyve done it before, didnt they limit the irving plaza and ed sullivan shows to just new yorkers? i understand those are much smaller venues but still, hometown show option could at least make it more fair and give you a much better chance of not getting shut out in your hometown.

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,928
    It wouldn't make anything more fair. It would give an unfair advantage to those lucky enough to get hometown shows.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    I'm from the area as well so get what you are saying, but what do you do for the fans that rarely get shows then whose only choice is to travel? It's not fair to them to disallow them scoring tix in another market. Hell, how often has the band played in Arizona for that matter. It's not even equitable on a market by market basis because some are so much larger than others. Based on population, it literally takes 20+ shows in many markets to equal one in the NY/Philly area.
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    I live in Chicago and we deal with the same things. All our shows seem to attract national crowds, more than most PJ shows. It's just something you deal with living in a big city. I think a better answer is that more shows are sometimes needed in places like Chicago and New York, instead of disallowing travelers from getting tickets.
  • Options
    LowlightLowlight Plymouth, MA Posts: 100
    Everything they have done in the past decade or so has worked towards the goal of getting different fans into the shows.
    I agree with you that it is not fair to shut out people who live in the hometown but such is life. Is it fair to only allow Boston residents to go to Boston shows?
    You both had the same chance in the lottery. That is about the fairest way to do this. How is giving people preference simply because they live in a large market more fair? They already have the advantage of not being required to travel to attend a show.
    Detroit 10-7-00 Buffalo 5-2-03 Boston 7-2-03 Camden 7-6-03 Boston 7-11-03 Boston 5-25-06 Camden 5-27-06 Hartford 6-27-08 Boston 6-28-08 Boston 6-30-08 Hartford 5-15-10 Boston 5-17-10 Chicago 7-19-13 Brooklyn 10-18-13 Brooklyn 10-19-13 Hartford 10-25-13 Moline 10-17-14 St. Paul 10-19-14 Milwaukee 10-20-14 Boston 8-5-16 Boston 8-7-16 Chicago 8-20-16 Chicago 8-22-16 Seattle 8-8-18 Boston 9-2-18 Boston 9-4-18
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    wouldnt everyone just claim their top choice as their hometown show and the selection would come out identical?
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,444
    Just put your hometown show as your number one priority. Problem solved.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    JimmyV said:

It wouldn't make anything more fair. It would give an unfair advantage to those lucky enough to get hometown shows.

You have a good point. I mean they haven't played a non festival hometown show in my hometown since 2003.

And i live in one of the top ten most populated metro areas in the united states.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,074
    JimmyV said:

Bingo.
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Coolest thing read today...
    riley540 said:

I'm super excited to have won GA tickets for New York! :) even better that I'm traveling from Alaska!! I'm a youngin and have only seen them 3 times, all from pretty far away from the stage. There is not a bad seat at a pearl jam show. If I didn't get lucky enough to win, id still be pumped on trying to score tickets anywhere else in the building. It's totally about the atmosphere for me. The building is full of great people reguardless of location.

See you all in New York!

• Options
    tubes10stubes10s Posts: 512
    There's nothing about ensuring that people get tickets to their "hometown" shows that is fair. If anything, that would be very unfair to the folks who are willing to travel to see a show. Plus, as others here have already pointed out, not all of us have shows that are close to where we live. I'm lucky enough to be going to the 2 closest shows to me, and they are each over 4 hours away.
    8-31-98 - Raleigh
    8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
    4-16-03 - Charlotte
    5-27-06 - Camden 1
    5-28-06 - Camden 2
    5-30-06 - DC
    6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
    6-22-08 - DC
    5-13-10 - Bristow
    10-27-13 - Baltimore
    10-29-13 - Charlottesville
    4-18-16 - Hampton
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,632
    Let's say you live in Philly. They play there every 2-3 years, always 2 nights. Even if you only win tickets to 1 out of 4 of those shows, that's no less than 90% of other people and their hometown shows.

I would much rather win GA once out of every 4 times in Philly or NYC than the once every (6 years now) I have a chance to here in Cleveland.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    ive been lucky with St. Louis (my home city) and Chicago shows so I don't know if its luck but ive been able to win lotteries to these shows without a problem since the system has started, so I believe there is some process in place to home shows that could already be in the equation
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    Why does this suggestion always come up? It never makes any sense.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    Thanks PeteThanks Pete NYC Posts: 613
    mrpink90 said:

they can still keep the lottery but they need to put a hometown show option. each member gets 1 show to pick as their "hometown show" (obviously they gotta verify it somehow) and when they do the lottery for each show the people who chose that as their hometown show get picked first, then any tix left after that go in priority order.

i dont care what anyone says, its not fair for people to get shut out for shows that live in the area. some guy on facebook from arizona won msg2 and philly1, hes going solo so he wants to trade 1 of his tickets for 1 ticket to the other msg and philly shows so he can go to all 4, and he'll probably do it. meanwhile i work 5 blocks from msg lived in ny my entire life and have been in fan club since '97 and get shut out. great for him but i feel like new yorkers should get priority for such a high demand show. and theyve done it before, didnt they limit the irving plaza and ed sullivan shows to just new yorkers? i understand those are much smaller venues but still, hometown show option could at least make it more fair and give you a much better chance of not getting shut out in your hometown.

I couldn't agree with you more. I've been in the fanclub since the early 90's and got shot out of the MSG 2014 or whatever year it was. It was surreal commuting through Penn Station (right underneath MSG) and seeing all the PJ fans going berserk in and around Penn station.

It was great getting that special email for Irving Plaza.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,510

So people from states like NH & VT would be shit out of luck if they can't afford to fly to less in demand shows?

Doesn't sound too fair to me.
  • Options
    Thanks PeteThanks Pete NYC Posts: 613
    So does living 5 blocks from MSG and getting shut out
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,216
    edited July 2016
    I would never get to see Pearl Jam play. I live in too small of a city. The closest cities to me are Seattle and Vancouver. That's where I go. Pearl Jam tours tend be small, and there's a lot of places they don't play. It would have a big impact on anyone that lives in places the band doesn't play. I live in another country but Seattle is only 80 miles from here. I'd never get to go.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,759
    They don't need a home town show option. They need to provide weighted lottery votes. Provide each member 10 entries for the announced tour. Like it is now, if you win the tickets you have to purchase them.

But it is your option to apply 10 entries into a single show or 1 entry into 10 shows or anything in between.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,216

They don't need a home town show option. They need to provide weighted lottery votes. Provide each member 10 entries for the announced tour. Like it is now, if you win the tickets you have to purchase them.

But it is your option to apply 10 entries into a single show or 1 entry into 10 shows or anything in between.

That still creates the potential for people to be getting several pairs before some people get 1. At this point there's a lot of fan members, not a lot of show, and a limited supply of tickets. I think at this point it's about getting as many people as possible a single pair to the tour, then doling out the leftovers. I think the current lotto does an ok job of that, save the needing to use pref 1/pref 2 on the same show, which allows situations where people can split shows, and get two pairs, with other people getting zero pairs.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,759
    Zod said:

That still creates the potential for people to be getting several pairs before some people get 1. At this point there's a lot of fan members, not a lot of show, and a limited supply of tickets. I think at this point it's about getting as many people as possible a single pair to the tour, then doling out the leftovers. I think the current lotto does an ok job of that, save the needing to use pref 1/pref 2 on the same show, which allows situations where people can split shows, and get two pairs, with other people getting zero pairs.
    Oh well - Some people getting several pairs while others get one has never really bothered me.
    That's how a lottery works; that's how a general on sale works.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    edited July 2016
    other than philly and new york the ranking of the shows pretty much takes care of this issue does it not? and i'm guessing even if you had hometown options in philly and new york the demand would still outweigh the supply. with the demand these days no system is going to work for everyone. i think the current one works best in my opinion.

edit: i guess the only thing that i could see being a positive change is not letting someone get 3 or more shows while others get none in their choices. i imagine that would be a nightmare to try and implement though.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    edited July 2016
    I think the system is almost there.
    I have said it numerous times, but IMO coupling the GA and Res choices (into 1) would really improve the system (with an opt-out for GA). Pick up your tickets, find out if you have GA, if you do, get in line, at 630PM, someone from 10c comes out and randomly chooses "beginning" of the line, and that is that.

IMO, from what I see, a lot of existing people have signed up people close to them/ticket partners to go directly after GA seats with 10c numbers that are very high/new.

As a result, we have (at least I suspect) is numerous and unnecessary 'double' and 'triple' entries for shows, especially GA anywhere and absolutely in the typical 'magnet' cities. This makes it harder for everyone to obtain tickets they want... and the longer the same system is in place, the better people are at finding the breach in the system (just like the 'random' poster sales).

I don't think people would put as many ping pong balls in the bowl if they were potentially 600XXX reserved seats that they would be 'stuck with' the day of the show. But it still gives any member an equal and realistic chance to get in the front.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on