Columbia SC lodging tips and getting around town

encompassing tripencompassing trip Posts: 160
edited April 2016 in Given To Fly (live)
Looking for a place to stay within walking distance? Try the Hyatt or Hampton on Gervais, or Hilton on Senate. Anywhere in the quadrant below the state house Assembly Street and Gervais Street area is good. I believ the band stayed at the Hilton last tour.

If you can't get anything there try the Sheraton on Main Street or the Marriot. Uber is pretty popular so leave your car parked. And if you are near the Starbucks on Lincoln and Gervais you're pretty much set on dining and nightlife and walking to the show.

If you have an extra Columbia GA ticket, I'd love an opportunity to use it and willing to do whatever 10C deems allowable. Feel free to ask any other questions on this thread.

Columbia is pretty fun. I'd suggest the Mellow Mushroom, Tin Roof, Music Farm, Pearlz, Oyster Bar for cocktails before the show. But don't fret, the "The Vista" area and has everything you need. Even a Publix grocery store or a Green's Discount Beverages for those that want to BYOB.

Have fun! And if you have an extra ticket please PM me.
Post edited by encompassing trip on

Comments

• "Hunter & Gatherer" is a nice place for a light meal and a good local beer. They've been brewing their own beer for decades...before it was cool.
  • Also, there's a lot of construction going on downtown. The CLA parking lot is a construction site. Park in a parking garage.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    edited April 2016
    How is uber late night?
    We are staying off bush river (BOO but whatever) and will Uber back after the show.
    I went out in Greenville after the show to try to wind down a little and by the time we went to get an uber or a cab we had a hard time getting one. Uber was surging 4.9 times

Just curious if i should be prepared for that or since it is a Thursday night in a college town if it will be better.

I went to school there.... but that was long before uber was ever thought of .

Thanks for the info wish i could help with a GA ticket but i can't :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • encompassing tripencompassing trip Posts: 160
    edited April 2016
    There's probably going to be a surge. But the taxi cab services will be out competing with Uber. You'll probably have an issue right before and after the show, but you should be able to find a ride. Most people will be walking to the Vista for night caps and lodging.

To be on the safe side, you may want to get there a little early. I think the Greenville show they started around 8:30-8:45.

Also, Columbia has changed a lot in the past 3-4 years. Main Street is actually pretty cool now. 5 points is rough, the Vista is where I prefer to be...which is great because the CLA is a block away and Main Street is just a short walk up the hill. So get there early and enjoy the city. I honestly don't think you'll have any problems if you leave around 6:30-7:00
    Thanks!
    I went to 5 points after a football game several years ago just for fun and almost got taken to jail for standing on the corner trying to hail a cab...... I've never been back since.
    I should be in town by 5pm and i'll look to get down to the visita by 5:30 so hopefully getting there wont be bad. We'll go out a little after to wind down too.

I appreciate the tips.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep said:

Thanks!
    I went to 5 points after a football game several years ago just for fun and almost got taken to jail for standing on the corner trying to hail a cab...... I've never been back since.
    I should be in town by 5pm and i'll look to get down to the visita by 5:30 so hopefully getting there wont be bad. We'll go out a little after to wind down too.

I appreciate the tips.

5 Points has gotten bad. I went down there for Drive By Truckers on St. Pats and a brawl broke out with about 10-15 people beating the crap out of each other. No thanks...I'm done with that place. However, I can't pass up Mr. Friendly's southern gourmet cooking on occasion.

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    Yeah, 5 points has gotten pretty bad the last few years. In the daytime it's OK. Gotta do Mr Friendlys and Groucho's every now and then. Once the sun goes down, I would only be found in the Vista.

Welcome back to Cola intodeep. If you haven't been in town for a few years, you might not recognize parts of campus anymore.
    Mr. Friendly's and Groucho's are great!
    I have a soft spot in my heart for Beezers since i ate it at 3am so often in college.

Thanks Markymark550! I generally make it for one football game a year sometimes two but we usually come in the morning of and jet out the next morning back to Atlanta.

I probably need to find some time to get back on campus that would be a trip.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    Ahh Beezer's. I was down at the Horseshoe last Sunday and thought about going there for lunch. Decided I wasn't drunk/stoned enough to make it like the good old days :lol:
  • Check out the Flying Saucer for excellent beer selections...and if you stumble upon 1 GA that someone needs to unload, please PM me. I'm on the search for one! Thanks.

2013 Charlotte, 2016 Greenville, 2016 Columbia, 2016 MSG1, 2018 Barcelona, 2018 Seattle2

edited April 2016
    If anyone that is here today because If the Raleigh cancellation. Check out Riverbanks Zoo. They've done some renovations and upgrades. It's very nice now.
  • Anyone have an idea where a good place to watch the playoff basketball games around downtown would be? Maybe someplace with food tvs, decent selection of beers, and better than average food?
    Columbus 6/24/03, Pittsburgh 9/28/05, Cleveland 5/20/06, Pittsburgh 6/23/06, Chicago 8/5/07, New York 6/24/08, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, Mansfield 6/30/08, EV D.C. 8/16/08, EV Chicago 8/22/08, EV Baltimore 6/14/09, Chicago 8/23/09, Philadelphia 10/27/09, Philadelphia 10/28/09, Philadelphia 10/30/09, Philadelphia 10/31/09, Columbus 5/6/10, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Cleveland 5/9/10, Buffalo 5/10/10, EV Detroit 6/26/11, Toronto 9/12/11, Hamilton 9/15/11, Pittsburgh 10/11/13, Buffalo 10/12/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, Los Angeles 11/24/13, Cincinnati 10/1/14, Detroit 10/16/14, New York 9/26/15, Greenville 4/16/16, Hampton 4/18/16, Columbia 4/21/16, Philadelphia 4/29/16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/22/16, Denver 9/22/22, Los Angeles 5/21/24
    edited April 2016

Anyone have an idea where a good place to watch the playoff basketball games around downtown would be? Maybe someplace with food tvs, decent selection of beers, and better than average food?

There's 2 places behind the Hyatt. Wild Wing, and Carolina Ale House (the rooftop bar), which are across the street from each other.

Post edited by encompassing trip on