Options

Will Call and Merch Booths

13»

Comments

• Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    edited January 2016
    The merch trucks are the worst thing to happen for the fans. It's totally lost the purpose of making it a convenient way for you to get your poster and shirt and stash it in the car or hotel and it's become an all day long ordeal and a total shit show that doesn't even guarantee that you get what you want anyway. It was much better when it was the responsibility of the venue because people there were not even attending the show couldn't buy up everything to flip, and it meant that if you got in the doors at a reasonable time you could still find what you wanted spread out between multiple venue booths.

After watching the lines at Wrigley and just about every subsequent show since grow to 2-4 blocks long and start at 8 or 9 AM I've decided that I'm just ignoring it completely from now on. I might end up with a shirt if I find one I like inside but I hardly even pay attention to them anymore.

I'd much rather spend my time exploring a new city I've never been to, going to the pre-party, eating at a restaurant, drinking, whatever. There are so many better things you can do on a show day then stand in line for 5 hours for a damn poster that probably sold out 10 people in front of you and a shirt that is a size too big or small.
    Post edited by indifferentman on
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    I agree. The merch trucks have stopped me from buying posters to the shows I go to....maybe thats a good thing. I might pick one up inside but it's not a given anymore and generally I dont. I do still buy merch inside the venue, but not as much as I use to as well.

The "cost" of getting the better merch is way too high for me know....I got the $ but I ain't got the time!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    edited January 2016
    demetrios said:

Bubba said:

The nightmare at Wrigley

Whoa! That is scary. Especially for the 2 folks in front of the car.
    Hey! thats me! The middle aged guy in the cargo shorts.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited January 2016
    CapnBob said:

That is only one of the lines at Wrigley - there were 3 merch tents, then came the fun of the rush inside when the gates opened.. great times, I loved every minute of it. Thursday while in the merch line we got to hear the PJ sound check and then on Friday we all got the TC email stating that merch tents would open earlier than announced so we got in line early that Friday morning and we took turns going to McDonalds while we waited...

Wrigley was a disaster before, during, and after the show....lines didn't move...just wanted a shirt, didn't care about the poster like most people wanted, ended up with a crappy white Wrigley shirt after the show after almost getting mauled (and im no small guy)...and the damn thing shrunk weird and I don't even wear it

im with the guy above me I give up on all that standing in line crap and would rather spend time exploring the city and take my time in everything that I do that day and just take it all in and meet cool people

Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • Options
    Mac57Mac57 Posts: 265
    St. Paul, MN was the worst. Truck opened 1 hour late and WWII veterans working. Thank you for your service but they were slowest. Waited 4 hours, no buttons or stickers left (ugly yellow shirts left yes). Told wife no more merch. Psyched for the tour! no mercy.
    2008 MSG I & II
    2010 Newark, MSG I
    2013 Wrigley Field, Brooklyn I & II, Hartford, LA I & II, San Diego
    2014 Detroit, Moline, St. Paul & Milwaukee
    2015 Ed Sullivan Theater/ Central Park
    2016 FTL, Miami, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1
    2017 RRHOF
    2018 Seattle I & II, Missoula, Boston I & II
    2022 Apollo, MSG, Camden, Nashville & St. Louis
    2023 St.P. 1 & 2, Austin 1 & 2
  • Options
    fsunoles30fsunoles30 Posts: 143
    edited January 2016
    Vic Theatre Show got it right in 07
    But too bad I didn't get in LOL! Listened through the brick walls out back by the El Train
    Got Lolla tho!
    BHAM 98
    BHAM 03
    ATLANTA 03
    LOLLA 07
    ROO 08
    EV SOLO Memphis
    EV SOLO ATL 1
    Music Midtown Speptember 22, 2012
    EV SOLO Memphis Nov. 21
    WRIGLEY FIELD JULY 19...and 20!!! 2013

I will light a match this morning so I won't be alone
  • Options
    rrebernrrebern Chicago Posts: 69
    Time is money. If it's *really* worth it to you, let the merch mules procure it for you and pay the inevitable 200% markup on eBay. But, mirroring what others are saying above, wasting the better part of a day for a shirt and a poster doesn't seem to be the best use of one's finite time in that tour stop when one could be checking out the city and what it has to offer.
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    I`m getting a god damn poster this time....Unfortunately every show I have been to had an awesome poster that sold out quick.... That Pittsburgh 13 poster would have looked amazing next to the posters of shows I was not at.
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    Standing in line for hours to buy pins and stickers. :confused:
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,212
    If you have GA have a buddy hold your spot in line and then you go and stand in line to get your goodies.
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    mrk2 said:

Standing in line for hours to buy pins and stickers. :confused:

That's the majority....me included.

So much time and effort and stress and money getting the items and when you die into the trash it goes.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Mac57 said:

St. Paul, MN was the worst. Truck opened 1 hour late and WWII veterans working. Thank you for your service but they were slowest. Waited 4 hours, no buttons or stickers left (ugly yellow shirts left yes). Told wife no more merch. Psyched for the tour! no mercy.

That was the last nail in the coffin for me. Wasted over 3 hours and moved maybe 8 feet. Never again will I stand in an outside merch line.
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,961
    I'm going to the Greenville show and I definitely want to get a poster. Will they be available online to purchase?? I really don't want to stand in line for hours.
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    JDime20JDime20 Posts: 192
    I saw a few people mention they wait until the artist sells them or they are added to the online shop. Does this happen for every show? I assumed it was just for posters that didn't sell out.
  • Options
    ^ Yeah I think it's the extras only. You won't find the MSG posters up in the shop. At least I don't think so.
  • Options
    JDime20 said:

I saw a few people mention they wait until the artist sells them or they are added to the online shop. Does this happen for every show? I assumed it was just for posters that didn't sell out.

Not necessarily. For the 2013 tour they dropped the entire east coast leg at once, then the entire west leg at once a week or a month later, don't recall. But both were dropped well after the tour was over. 2014 they were released when the corresponding bootlegs were released, on a weekly basis.
    They set a stock back to sell online. You just gotta been Johnny on the spot when they do release it.
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    I remember the St. Paul mercy booth opening two hours late, having two stoned out old guys working and the credit card machine broke down. I shit you not.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options

I remember the St. Paul mercy booth opening two hours late, having two stoned out old guys working and the credit card machine broke down. I shit you not.

All true. Everyone scrambled to the Holiday Inn to get cash at the ATM and it was down, too. I was at the Mall of America later that afternoon and the ATMs were down there, as well. Had to be a big server issue or something for shit not to be working all around town & nearby.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,912
    edited January 2016
    JDime20 said:

^ Yeah I think it's the extras only. You won't find the MSG posters up in the shop. At least I don't think so.

They will. The last one did. For example .. http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/139418/new-york-5-21-poster-sale-wed-8-25/p1

Yes this usually happen for every show. The artist will sell their artist edition copies & 10club will have their share of prints to sell @ the 10club store. For 2015 prints, it's really been strange. Cause if the official CD & digital bootlegs goes up for sale, usually the poster will go up for sale too. Not this time.
  • Options
    Wow. Glad I was wrong on that one then