Options

Join Pearl Jam. Help Flint.

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,924
edited April 2016 in The Porch
http://www.pearljam.com/news/0/1/22867/join_pearl_jam_help_flint

Join Pearl Jam. Help Flint.
January 22 2016

Pearl Jam and Partners Pledge $300,000 and Counting To United Way of Genesee County to Aid in Flint, Michigan Water Crisis.
Fans and Supporters Encouraged to Join In Efforts at
Crowdrise.com/Pearljam

SEATTLE – Pearl Jam and the band’s manager Kelly Curtis have pledged a donation of $125,000 to The United Way of Genesee County to aid in the support of Flint, Michigan residents during the area’s current water crisis.

A close group of the band’s friends and partners including Glaser Progress Foundation, Live Nation, Brandi Carlile’s Looking Out Foundation, Republic Records, Ticketmaster, Universal Music Publishing Group and William Morris Endeavor Entertainment kindly came in with an additional donation of $175,000.

Funds will be donated to The United Way of Genesee County's Flint Water Fund, which serves both the immediate and long-term needs of the community.

“This is an incredible gift for the people of Flint, one that will help address our immediate needs in the community and long-term needs that will be addressed by the Flint Child Health and Development Fund,” said Jamie Gaskin, CEO of the United Way of Genesee County.

Monetary donations will first be used for the purchase of water filters, bottled water, emergency support services and prevention efforts in Flint, Michigan. After the short-term need of Flint residents has been met, any remaining funds will be directed to the Flint Child Health and Development Fund. This fund will provide aid to children and families with interventions that support positive health outcomes.

One hundred percent of donated funds are used for Flint community projects and no administrative fee is assessed.

HOW TO DONATE
Pearl Jam and friends encourage all fans and supporters to join them in donating what they can online at www.crowdrise.com/pearljam.

Checks can be mailed to:

United Way of Genesee County
111 E Court Street, Suite 3A
Flint, MI 48502
ATTN: Flint Water Fund

Please give what you are able to and help spread the word!

#FlintWaterFund #UWGCLiveUnited #UWGCLovesPearlJam

Twitter: @UWGenesseCO
Facebook: www.facebook.com/UnitedWayGeneseeCounty
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Options
    BV84003BV84003 Holt, MI Posts: 360
    Very nice effort. Maybe the band should do a benefit show, like maybe at the Dow Event Center in Saginaw hah.. THAT'll never happen.

In all seriousness though, that is very cool of the band to do that.
    2003 Clarkston MI #2 | 2004 Grand Rapids MI | 2013 London ON | 2014 Detroit MI | 2016 Toronto ON #1
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    nice job pj!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,879
    Great job guys.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,204
    wow that's a hefty donation. impressive.
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Nice job guys!
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,040
    Thanks for helping out, my home state!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
    Hello all,
    I'm fully prepared to get ripped to shreds over my comments, but here goes.
    So far, I think some have missed the point of this announcement to "HELP FLINT".
    It wasn't Pearl Jam bragging of their generous donation to this urgent cause.
    It was Pearl Jam making a request of us Pearl Jam fans to help out and donate money.
    I realize that it's not a raffle and you don't have a chance of winning your "holy grail".
    But it is a chance to help our fellow citizens in their urgent time of need.
    I personally was only able to afford the minimum donation of $10.00 online but if ALL of us Pearl Jam fans did even that small gesture our impact would be HUGE!
    And, here's the coolest part:
    There's a space on the online form to put the name you'd like to appear as the donor.
    Please type in "PEARL JAM FAN" and we'll really show what we are about!
    Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,854
    :clap:
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    My jaw dropped when I seen this sticky. From someone who works in downtown Flint I've seen how this water crisis has effected the city.

Thank you so much from MI! Wow. Thank you!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,554
    That's sweet that Pearl Jam and Ticketmaster are friends now. :giggle:

Nevertheless, very nice of PJ to match donations up to $300K!
    That situation in Flint is fucked up. Like people in Flint didn't already have it bad enough before.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Not a fan of the United Way but this is a great gesture nonetheless. WTG gang!
    when he's happy he looks insane

Gorge 2005
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Thank you for this. :plus_one:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Good stuff :plus_one:
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Awesome - way to help boys!!!!
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    Great idea, Pearl Jam!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    @ Crowdrise

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/01/22/pearl-jam-donates-flint-water-crisis/79173162/

Pearl Jam donates $300,000 to Flint water crisis
    Adam Graham, The Detroit News 1:48 p.m. EST January 22, 2016
    The rock band also launched an online fundraising campaign to help assist the Flint community

(Photo: Daniel Mears / Detroit News)

Pearl Jam has jumped on board in the aid to help Flint with its water crisis.

On Friday, the rock band pledged $125,000 to the United Way of Genesee County, according to a release from the band’s management. Additionally, a network of the group’s friends and partners — including Live Nation, the group’s record label Republic Records, Universal Music Publishing Group, William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, Glaser Progress Foundation, Brandi Carlile’s Looking Out Foundation and the group’s one-time foes Ticketmaster — chipped in an additional $175,000, bringing the total donation to $300,000.

The band has also launched a CrowdRise campaign for fans to donate money to Flint through the website crowdrise.com/pearljam.

Funds will go toward the United Way of Genesee County’s Flint Water Fund, which aids in both the short- and long-term needs of the Flint community.

Earlier this week, Big Sean also launched a CrowdRise campaign to help those in Flint.
  • Options
    http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a41430/pearl-jam-cher-big-sean-flint-water-crisis-donations/

Pearl Jam, Big Sean, Meek Mill, Cher, and Other Celebs Are Now Fighting the Flint Water Crisis

By Megan Friedman

The crisis in Flint, Michigan has finally become a national issue after residents sued city and state officials over lead poisoning in their drinking water. The city started taking water from the local Flint River to save money; this water was tainted for more than a year, but officials kept insisting it was safe to drink. By October, the city admitted there was a problem and switched to Detroit water, but it's unclear how long it will take until Flint's water is safe to drink.

The outrage over the crisis has led to an outpouring of support and donations, including some from high-profile stars and Michigan natives.

Here's a rundown of who has donated so far, and how you can join them.

Pearl Jam

According to The Detroit News, Pearl Jam pledged on Friday to donate $125,0000 to the United Way of Genesee County's Flint Water Fund. They also got partners like Live Nation, William Morris Entertainment, and Republic Records to give $175,000, which brings their campaign's total to $300,000. And if you'd like to join, the band started a CrowdRise campaign for more donations.

Brandi Carlile

Singer-Songwriter Brandi Carlile teamed up with Pearl Jam through her Looking Out Foundation, which seeks to help local communities through the arts. She and her fans donate $1 from every concert ticket sold to help the foundation. If the Flint Water Fund's needs are fully met, remaining funds will go to the Flint Child Health and Development Fund.

Cher

The iconic performer teamed up with bottled-water company Icelandic Glacial to get 181,440 bottles of water to Flint residents, which started distribution this week. "It was nothing—I mean, it wasn't nothing because it was so fucking hard to get accomplished, but I felt like I needed to do something," she told Billboard. "It's such a gigantic problem, and the government is doing the wrong thing."

Big Sean

Detroit rapper Big Sean's Sean Anderson Foundation has his own CrowdRise campaign, which has raised more than $16,500 towards the Community Foundation of Greater Flint Michigan. A full $10,000 of that total comes from Sean himself. He has also set up incentives for donors, with every $10 giving you a chance to meet him when he goes on tour this fall.

Meek Mill

Meek Mill is also stepping up to help Flint. According to TMZ, he made a financial contribution to the Flint Child and Family Health Development fund, and is sending 60,000 bottles of JUST Water to the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan.

How You Can Help

Several organizations are in need of donations to provide water and services to Flint. The United Way of Genesee County has set up a Flint Water Fund to buy filters, bottled water, and emergency services. Flintkids.org, a partnership with several local groups, is raising money to support children's health initiatives and children's hospitals in the area. If you live in the area and would like to volunteer your time, you can call 211 or call the American Red Cross at (313) 833-4440.
  • Options
    jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998
    edited January 2016
    Awesome to see our boys are helping my hometown. How can I not donate now...
    Post edited by jonsey30 on
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    Peyton18Peyton18 Posts: 216
    I couldn't believe it said Pearl Jam and friends and partners! Ticketmaster being one of those! Either way it's a great thing the band is doing! It's amazing how many causes they contribute too
  • Options
    I'm very moved that Pearl Jam is raising money to help those poor people in Flint. I currently live in Michigan and I cannot begin to tell you all how devastating, embarrassing, and unbelievable this situation is. It was a deliberate act to harm the citizens of Flint in an effort to save money.

I have donated. Thanks Pearl Jam!
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Options
    ItIsAllAboutPJItIsAllAboutPJ S.B., CA Posts: 829
    Donation sent and tagged as "PEARL JAM FAN" !!

I have been following this man made disaster on the Rachel Maddow Show for months now.....so glad she is shining a light on this and it's now getting the national attention it needs!
    The folks of Flint have endured enough, much less being poisoned by their appointed officials.

Thank you Pearl Jam for stepping up and getting others to join you!! :)
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422

I'm very moved that Pearl Jam is raising money to help those poor people in Flint. I currently live in Michigan and I cannot begin to tell you all how devastating, embarrassing, and unbelievable this situation is. It was a deliberate act to harm the citizens of Flint in an effort to save money.

You feeling any different? Unhealthy? You have kids that have been exposed?
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    extremely nice of the band to donate so much money. 125k is a lot of money to just hand over. no benefit show or anything like that. very generous. one of the many reasons i love these guys
  • Options
    TL170678 said:

You feeling any different? Unhealthy? You have kids that have been exposed?
    No, I'm about 50 miles South of Flint, our water is not contaminated. This is something that is a concern for everyone nearby.
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,874
    very cool
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998
    I'm just glad that we had well water instead of the city water. My mother still lives there, but no issues with her water.
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    I'm about 45 minutes south of Flint and work with a guy who lives there. He's distraught by it, to say the least. "I can't drink it, I can't cook with it, I can't bathe in it.." Says he goes to a fire department everyday to a get case a water. I don't know how this gets better in any timely fashion. Flint had problems before this was recognized and the way that Lansing is seemingly bumbling around it, well, it's hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

This is a real nice gesture by the band and the team around them:)
  • Options
    LedbettermenLedbettermen Flint, Michigan Posts: 32
    edited January 2016
    Thank-you Pearl Jam from Flint
    I want to express my appreciation for your generosity in support of our water crisis here in Flint.
    Your personal commitment will be incredibly helpful for so many families.
    Your assistance means so much to me but even more to this community .
    Thank you from all of us.
    Sincerely, Ramon Garcia
    Post edited by Ledbettermen on
    2014.10.16 Detroit, MI
    2011.06.26 Detroit, MI (Ed solo), 2006.05.20 Auburn Hills, MI
    2006.05.19 Grand Rapids, MI, 2006.05.09 Toronto, ON
    2005.09.19 Toronto, ON, 2004.10.03 Grand Rapids, MI
    2004.10.02 Toledo, OH, 2003.06.26 Clarkston, MI
    2003.06.25 Clarkston, MI, 2000.10.07 Auburn Hills, MI
    1998.08.23 Auburn Hills, MI, 1998.08.18 East Lansing, MI
    1992.08.01 Clarkston, MI, 1991.11.21 Ann Arbor, MI
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
    edited January 2016
    https://crowdrise.com/pearljamHOW TO DONATE
    Pearl Jam and friends encourage all fans and supporters to join them in donating what they can online at www.crowdrise.com/pearljam.
    Post edited by shecky on
  • Options
    http://www.avclub.com/article/artists-and-athletes-pitch-get-potable-water-flint-231237

Artists and athletes pitch in to get potable water to Flint residents
    By Danette Chavez@bonmotvivant
    Jan 26, 2016 8:00 AM

Reports on the water contamination crisis in Flint, Michigan reveal an increasingly desperate situation—not only is the water not fit to drink, but it might not even be safe for bathing (though that hasn’t prevented the city from continuing to charge residents for it). The crisis began nearly two years ago, after the source of drinking water was temporarily switched to the Flint River, a regrettable (to say the least) decision that’s since exposed the town’s residents to lead poisoning and Legionnaires’ disease. The Michigan Attorney General has launched an investigation into whether any state laws were violated when the switch was made, but there’s also the pressing matter of getting potable water to Flint residents. Humanitarian organizations like the Red Cross are already coordinating donations of water and funds, but the call has also been answered by several celebrities, including some with ties to Michigan, who are putting their good fortune to good use.

Pearl Jam has already raised over $350,000 for the United Way of Genesee County via a Crowdrise campaign, including a pledge of $125,000 of its own money. The donations will be used to address immediate concerns with the “purchase of water filters, bottled water, emergency support services and prevention efforts.” Also raising money on Crowdrise are rapper Big Sean, who pledged $10,000 and has raised over $20,000 so far, and Detroit native Jack White. The musician even organized a “water drive” through his Third Man Records label in which customers who donated a gallon or case of water received an in-store discount and were entered in a raffle for a Hateful 8 limited-edition soundtrack package.

Newsweek reports that Cher, who says she’s kept a critical eye on the water crisis since 2014, has partnered with Icelandic Glacial to send nearly 200,000 bottles of water to Flint and urged her fellow artists to show their support. The unofficial charitable quartet of Eminem (also a Detroit native), Wiz Khalifa, Sean “Puff Daddy” Combs, and Mark Wahlberg has arranged to donate one million bottles of water to Flint residents through AQUAhydrate, a bottled-water company that Combs and Wahlberg partially own. Members of the Detroit Lions, led by Ezekiel Ansah, have pledged 94,000 bottles of water, while Tonight Show host Jimmy Fallon pledged $10,000 to the Flint Child Health & Development Fund via the Community Foundation Of Greater Flint. And in the middle of his war of tweeted words against 50 Cent, Meek Mill pledged $50,000 and 60,000 bottles of water, as well as challenged his adversary to follow suit.