Concerning Euphemisms

Euphemisms often share borders with political correctness, prejudice, bias etc., so I had a bit of a time coming up with a subject heading for this thread but what I'm curious about is others' takes on specific euphemistic language and other examples some may have concern for or question regarding. Personally, I have little patience for euphemistic language but I also generally try to not step on others toes.

What brought this up is that someone I know is taking education classes in college and she was told not to use the word "stuttering", that it's wrong to do so, but rather one should use the technical (euphemistic) term. I couldn't recall what the term is and could not find it searching on line yet I found "stuttering" in all kinds of medical references. I'm sure given enough time I could find that technical term (it was several words) but if it didn't come up fairly quickly searching on line I don't see how it can be that pressing an issue.

But maybe I'm wrong? I'd like to know.

I'm also curious about others' thoughts here concerning other euphemistic phrases.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Speech impediment ? Is that what you are looking for?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Is it like how you're not supposed to say "midget" or "oriental" anymore? Is that what you mean?

I'll admit there's a few that caught me off guard.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,515
    https://youtu.be/u-BfQ7hJ6Po?t=3
    When I think euphemism I think "whose line is it anyway"
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,629
    RKCNDY said:

Speech impediment ? Is that what you are looking for?

No- much longer and technical sounding. I'll ask her later today. It just seemed odd to me that she would be chastised for using the term "stuttering". She was also told not to use the term "acting out". The same instructor tells here that kids who "act out" (or whatever the technical euphemistic term is now) that they and there parents are not responsible for that happening because it is a syndrome or medical condition.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    Alalia literalis?

And acting out is not a fucking medical condition, sorry. It's a behavorial condition from the parents not teaching their kids to not act like little bratty assholes. It's amazing what the med industry will come up with to try to sell more drugs to people who don't need them.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    I would say that the person you were talking to should not listen to whoever told her that she shouldn't use the word "stuttering", lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    There's that moment in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf when Honey needs to go to the bathroom but can't bring herself to say the word "bathroom," so George says, "Martha, won't you show her where we keep the ... euphemism?"

Such a great play.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    PJ_Soul said:

I would say that the person you were talking to should not listen to whoever told her that she shouldn't use the word "stuttering", lol.

Agreed. I'm no expert on behavior so I don't know if terminology's changed, but I do know that everybody who goes to school has a few instructors that are know it all jerks.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    What class is she taking, maybe they are trying to teach subtleness.
    Back in the old days, being different was not a good thing. If a person had a speech impediment they just didn't talk much and if they did, the terms people used to describe the condition took on a derogatory tone. Kind of a society evolution thing.
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,629
    amethgr8 said:

What class is she taking, maybe they are trying to teach subtleness.
    Back in the old days, being different was not a good thing. If a person had a speech impediment they just didn't talk much and if they did, the terms people used to describe the condition took on a derogatory tone. Kind of a society evolution thing.

She's enrolled in an on-line college (which to my way of thinking is almost an oxymoron) with the intent on getting a teaching degree. The degree requires a course focusing on Special Education. I'd be the first to stand up for anyone with a disability (or whatever the hell that is called now- it's OK, I'm partially disabled) but I have a real hard time with euphemistic language that softens the reality. Part of my hearing disability includes phonophobia as a sub-type of PTSD AKA SHELL SHOCK! (Thank you, Mr. Carlin). This soft language is too often used to brush away the reality of a situation rather than face and acknowledge it and maybe find honest help for the afflicted (or are we supposed to say "blessed"? God, I get cranky over this stuff!). And Carlin really did say it best so I won't try to top that. But it is my opinion as well.

Anyway, I don't think using this soft language will make this young woman a better teacher and she knows that (and also knows she must learn the lingo or fail the coursework) and I'm proud of her for knowing the difference.

And I want to add that I'm not brazen about all this. I always go out of my way to express empathy and concern for anyone with a... whatever you want to call it.