Options

a little help choosing a boot please

flyingsquirellflyingsquirell Posts: 14
edited August 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
First off I know you probably get a million threads a week about "choosing the perfect boot," but I have a different taste than others so anywho. I'm looking for a boot that really stands out. Preferebly a boot from 2006. I want a night where Ed's voice is almost flawless and the band is really tight. Another plus would be a show where they throw a few improvs in some of there songs...not to mention a show where Mike just will melt your face!!!
By the way I already have the Gorge night 1 boot. Please help me out!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,871
    for '06 the san diego show is my favorite so far. the band is really on and the crowd sounds great.

i also like:

gorge 2- i was there so a lot of great memories.
    san fran 3 -great setlist
    portland- short show but it sounds great
    gorge 1- the first encore. 'nuff said.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    San Diego, San Fran, and Gorge are the ones to get.
  • Options
    I Am GoneI Am Gone Posts: 831
    San Diego or Grand Rapids, depending on what your tastes are....
    REMEMBER KIDS....

The Bible is full of lies - Stone is the leader of us all!
  • Options
    First off I know you probably get a million threads a week about "choosing the perfect boot," but I have a different taste than others so anywho. I'm looking for a boot that really stands out. Preferebly a boot from 2006. I want a night where Ed's voice is almost flawless and the band is really tight. Another plus would be a show where they throw a few improvs in some of there songs...not to mention a show where Mike just will melt your face!!!
    By the way I already have the Gorge night 1 boot. Please help me out!

[1] San Francisco 3 - Band was on a mission coming out of the short shows, and the west coast stretch proves it. The third Sf night reminds me a lot of the Buffalo show near the end of '03s first leg. Great cover of All along The Watchtower. Where has Untitled been? It's back here. Why is Red Mosquito so rare? It's back here. Present Tense, Why Go, In Hiding, Light Years. This show has a unique setlist and executed to the hilt. I think I'm comfortable calling this one the best, but the most unique is probably ...

[2] Santa Barbara - I'm not sure how the sets were set up. That first set isn't acoustic, but it seemed an early, shorter, mellower set ... and it's great! A superbly executed show that sees rarities Oceans, the Interstellar Overdrive Intro, and U. Grand Rapids is almost universally hailed as "the show" which, in my opinion, is based almost entirely on the first encore. Which begs the question ... where's the love for SB? The first set of which is every bit as good as the GR encore and is better as an overall show. Now I've never been to the Santa Barbara Bowl, but this show also might have the very best audio quality of the whole N.America tour. This could claim the #1 spot on my list before too long (though SF3 truly is the bomb).

[3] The Gorge 1 - Dirty Frank!! They actually played it, and with a vigor that makes it sound better with each repeated listening. As a matter of personal taste, Wash as an opener always sets a special tone (and seems to be there in so many of the best recent shows). The Mamasan trilogy opens first encore with Crown Of Thorns. Since it seems to me Footsteps and Crown Of Thorns alone gave Chicago 2 it's glowing reviews (I was there), this show has so much more overall (and outdoor shows always have a built-in advantage). Finally, Daughter gets the It's OK tag, which is a big favorite of mine and leads me to ...

[4] Cleveland - My favorite show of the first leg edging out Camden 2. The '03 show here was also superb but was similarly unheralded. Forgive the ill-fated attempt to open the show with a crowd singalong. The Daughter/It's Ok here is a tour highlight, as is Immortality which has become exceedingly rare. The setlist won't floor you, but the execution is top notch. I love the Roger Waters-esque megaphone on Comatose with it's slap at Detroit. Ed's banter during this Grand Rapids-Cleveland-Detroit stretch, always ripping on the other venues and shows, is hilarious.

[5] Camden 2 - I have frequently given love to the GR-Cle-Det trio of the first leg but this show is still in the running for the best of the leg. Philly gets great shows, and Wash openers. Although Leash is no longer a rarity, Satans Bed, Wishlist and Glorified G are. Only negative is the inexcusable appearance of You Are (aka Piss Break).

[6] Detroit - Ed's voice sounds exceptionally crisp this night, and the band quickly adjusts by scrapping the bad idea of singalong openers tried in Grand Rapids and Cleveland. Long Road makes a welcome return to open the show. Nothingman (in my opinion the strongest of the "man trilogy") makes it's only US appearance. And the Why Go-Porch-Indifference-Kick Out The Jams-YL stretch is maybe the best finale to any 2006 show. Though it's pretty commonplace now, this was the first show with the Star Spangled Banner tag to YL. I was giddy to hear Kick Out The Jams in '05, but this home of the MC5 provided inspiration S.America could not.

[7] Las Vegas - This is an unorthodox pick. Ed's banter in SD ripping this show is amusing, but I fear too many people are fawning over SD and dissing this one because of that commentary ... and not from listening to the actual shows. Ed was a bit under the weather, but unlike St.Paul-Fargo-Chicago in '03 (the Nyquil Trilogy), this show does not suffer at all. Inside Job works as an opener, the Fortunate Son-Porch closer for "W's birthday" is superb and includes a Dirty Frank tease-tag. The brief Come Back tag in black is a nice twist. And though I love Boom, Benmont Tench makes this one of the better versions of the otherwise rote Better Man. Throw in Little Sister and Parachutes, and this is a unique show you should give a try.

[8] Grand Rapids - Probably the longest show of the tour and the first encore is remarkable. Those reasons alone make it worthy of top mention, but i still buck the trend and do not believe this to be "the best" show. Other than that encore, the rest of the show is fairly ordinary. I keep listening to this show to find out what I must be missing. It's enjoyable no doubt, but fails to knock me off my feet like SF3, SB, or Gorge 1.

[9] San Diego - Great show all around, but like Grand Rapids I find a gap between the hype and the listening experience. No, I'm not being contrarian for its own sake. I've listened to these repeatedly and have no agenda. Besides, SF3 is hardly an against-the-grain pick. A welcome return for Oceans. The Long Road encore opener (and story) is great. and this Rearviewmirror version is one of the best, with a Life Wasted intro and a Time Heals (Todd Rundgren) tag. Great show, and there's plenty of SD chatter on the board for those trying to get more detail.

[10] Chicago 1 - Where is the love for this show? I'll add the disclaimer that this is my hometown, but I've never hesitated to say Chicago '03 SUCKED, and at a loss to understand the Chicago 2 hype (other than for Footsteps and Crown Of Thorns). With the exception of Alpine Valley in 2003, this was the best Illinois or Wisconsin show of the 21st century (Champaign '03 probably tied with this). This long show gives a great mix of hits and rarities. There's plenty of Ten, Even Flow and Porch jams as good as any, and mellow rarities like Low Light and I'm Open. And though I like to stay away from commenting on the "crowd", it's one thing to singalong with Better Man, but the crowd here handled PRESENT TENSE so admirably that Ed continues to do this in subsequent cities. And though I'm here for the music and not the politics, Bush detractors will love the Daughter tag. this show closed on fire, particularly the back-to-back Blood/Atomic Dog and Indifference. A long, well-executed, and good sounding show despite a horrible venue acoustically (United Center).

[11] Albany - Once 30+ shows rolled in afterwards, Albany lost a bit of its luster. Too bad, because this show is excellent. And when I go back to give it some more listens it could still easily move as high as #4 on this list. The return of Rats and Satans Bed, perfectly executed, are treats. The Wasted Reprise-Life Wasted works. No Code gets a nod with rarities Red Mosquito and Off He Goes. And the Porch is mindnumbingly good. The first 75% of this show is near-perfect, but it tails off a bit at the end. For only the third show of the tour, the band sounds amazingly crisp.

[12] The Gorge 2 - A top 10 or dozen makes sense, but outside of the classic Spinal Tap scene, "11" doesn't. this show was a solid finale to the tour and, although not perfect, what a treat to hear a full Little Wing.
  • Options
    Nakedeye66 wrote:
    [1] San Francisco 3 - Band was on a mission coming out of the short shows, and the west coast stretch proves it. The third Sf night reminds me a lot of the Buffalo show near the end of '03s first leg. Great cover of All along The Watchtower. Where has Untitled been? It's back here. Why is Red Mosquito so rare? It's back here. Present Tense, Why Go, In Hiding, Light Years. This show has a unique setlist and executed to the hilt. I think I'm comfortable calling this one the best, but the most unique is probably ...

[2] Santa Barbara - I'm not sure how the sets were set up. That first set isn't acoustic, but it seemed an early, shorter, mellower set ... and it's great! A superbly executed show that sees rarities Oceans, the Interstellar Overdrive Intro, and U. Grand Rapids is almost universally hailed as "the show" which, in my opinion, is based almost entirely on the first encore. Which begs the question ... where's the love for SB? The first set of which is every bit as good as the GR encore and is better as an overall show. Now I've never been to the Santa Barbara Bowl, but this show also might have the very best audio quality of the whole N.America tour. This could claim the #1 spot on my list before too long (though SF3 truly is the bomb).

[3] The Gorge 1 - Dirty Frank!! They actually played it, and with a vigor that makes it sound better with each repeated listening. As a matter of personal taste, Wash as an opener always sets a special tone (and seems to be there in so many of the best recent shows). The Mamasan trilogy opens first encore with Crown Of Thorns. Since it seems to me Footsteps and Crown Of Thorns alone gave Chicago 2 it's glowing reviews (I was there), this show has so much more overall (and outdoor shows always have a built-in advantage). Finally, Daughter gets the It's OK tag, which is a big favorite of mine and leads me to ...

[4] Cleveland - My favorite show of the first leg edging out Camden 2. The '03 show here was also superb but was similarly unheralded. Forgive the ill-fated attempt to open the show with a crowd singalong. The Daughter/It's Ok here is a tour highlight, as is Immortality which has become exceedingly rare. The setlist won't floor you, but the execution is top notch. I love the Roger Waters-esque megaphone on Comatose with it's slap at Detroit. Ed's banter during this Grand Rapids-Cleveland-Detroit stretch, always ripping on the other venues and shows, is hilarious.

[5] Camden 2 - I have frequently given love to the GR-Cle-Det trio of the first leg but this show is still in the running for the best of the leg. Philly gets great shows, and Wash openers. Although Leash is no longer a rarity, Satans Bed, Wishlist and Glorified G are. Only negative is the inexcusable appearance of You Are (aka Piss Break).

[6] Detroit - Ed's voice sounds exceptionally crisp this night, and the band quickly adjusts by scrapping the bad idea of singalong openers tried in Grand Rapids and Cleveland. Long Road makes a welcome return to open the show. Nothingman (in my opinion the strongest of the "man trilogy") makes it's only US appearance. And the Why Go-Porch-Indifference-Kick Out The Jams-YL stretch is maybe the best finale to any 2006 show. Though it's pretty commonplace now, this was the first show with the Star Spangled Banner tag to YL. I was giddy to hear Kick Out The Jams in '05, but this home of the MC5 provided inspiration S.America could not.

[7] Las Vegas - This is an unorthodox pick. Ed's banter in SD ripping this show is amusing, but I fear too many people are fawning over SD and dissing this one because of that commentary ... and not from listening to the actual shows. Ed was a bit under the weather, but unlike St.Paul-Fargo-Chicago in '03 (the Nyquil Trilogy), this show does not suffer at all. Inside Job works as an opener, the Fortunate Son-Porch closer for "W's birthday" is superb and includes a Dirty Frank tease-tag. The brief Come Back tag in black is a nice twist. And though I love Boom, Benmont Tench makes this one of the better versions of the otherwise rote Better Man. Throw in Little Sister and Parachutes, and this is a unique show you should give a try.

[8] Grand Rapids - Probably the longest show of the tour and the first encore is remarkable. Those reasons alone make it worthy of top mention, but i still buck the trend and do not believe this to be "the best" show. Other than that encore, the rest of the show is fairly ordinary. I keep listening to this show to find out what I must be missing. It's enjoyable no doubt, but fails to knock me off my feet like SF3, SB, or Gorge 1.

[9] San Diego - Great show all around, but like Grand Rapids I find a gap between the hype and the listening experience. No, I'm not being contrarian for its own sake. I've listened to these repeatedly and have no agenda. Besides, SF3 is hardly an against-the-grain pick. A welcome return for Oceans. The Long Road encore opener (and story) is great. and this Rearviewmirror version is one of the best, with a Life Wasted intro and a Time Heals (Todd Rundgren) tag. Great show, and there's plenty of SD chatter on the board for those trying to get more detail.

[10] Chicago 1 - Where is the love for this show? I'll add the disclaimer that this is my hometown, but I've never hesitated to say Chicago '03 SUCKED, and at a loss to understand the Chicago 2 hype (other than for Footsteps and Crown Of Thorns). With the exception of Alpine Valley in 2003, this was the best Illinois or Wisconsin show of the 21st century (Champaign '03 probably tied with this). This long show gives a great mix of hits and rarities. There's plenty of Ten, Even Flow and Porch jams as good as any, and mellow rarities like Low Light and I'm Open. And though I like to stay away from commenting on the "crowd", it's one thing to singalong with Better Man, but the crowd here handled PRESENT TENSE so admirably that Ed continues to do this in subsequent cities. And though I'm here for the music and not the politics, Bush detractors will love the Daughter tag. this show closed on fire, particularly the back-to-back Blood/Atomic Dog and Indifference. A long, well-executed, and good sounding show despite a horrible venue acoustically (United Center).

[11] Albany - Once 30+ shows rolled in afterwards, Albany lost a bit of its luster. Too bad, because this show is excellent. And when I go back to give it some more listens it could still easily move as high as #4 on this list. The return of Rats and Satans Bed, perfectly executed, are treats. The Wasted Reprise-Life Wasted works. No Code gets a nod with rarities Red Mosquito and Off He Goes. And the Porch is mindnumbingly good. The first 75% of this show is near-perfect, but it tails off a bit at the end. For only the third show of the tour, the band sounds amazingly crisp.

[12] The Gorge 2 - A top 10 or dozen makes sense, but outside of the classic Spinal Tap scene, "11" doesn't. this show was a solid finale to the tour and, although not perfect, what a treat to hear a full Little Wing.

Hey thanks that helped out alot!
  • Options
    albany or cleveland
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    hartford. or west palm beach. or buffalo.